Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 201 - 225 of 3,969 comments

LuisV
LuisV on January 1, 2013 at 6:45 pm

I saw the 6:45 Showing Sunday evening and the preshow, ads and previews were all shown. I didn’t notice dirty carpeting but I absolutely noticed that lack of an actual marquee. I’ve never seen anything like it. Just “Les Miserables” up there in simple lettering. Shameful but I just assumed it was some kind of mixup. I still very much enjoyed the presentation if not the film; with the exception of the curtains not working. Again, why is that so complicated?????

NYer
NYer on January 1, 2013 at 9:38 am

Uh oh. I saw “Les Miz” Sunday eve and for the first time in thirty plus years I have to say I was disappointed.

First, turning onto 54th street I was shocked that there was no marquee panel. Oh no, maybe the wind blew it out, it was wicked that day. Walking to the other side, nope, NY’s Premiere movie theater had basic letters on a track for it’s big Christmas picture. Never seen that in the hundreds of times I’ve passed by. It looked like any dollar house in the suburbs. I asked the usher about it, and he said was “all I know is they are working on it”. This for a feature a week in release already and booked months ago.

Then waiting for the previous show to break and I notice the lobby carpet is dirty. First in the auditorium, head for my favorite seat, front row mezzanine aisle and it’s broken, unusable.

First fifteen minutes, no music or even screen ads and it was more noticeable because of the big naked screen staring at us. How much could it really cost to open and close a curtain five times a day. That’s what it was installed for. In the past,even neighborhood theaters had curtains. Multiplexes killed this tradition and this is what makes this theater unique.

Staff, projection and sound first rate as always but it’s obvious Clearview has given up while waiting for a buyer. The gorgeous Ziegfeld Theater deserves better.

LuisV
LuisV on December 31, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Last night I saw Les Miserables at The Ziegfeld and it was at near capacity. Though I didn’t care for the movie, as usual, it was an absolute pleasure to see a film in this theater. My only complaint is that the curtains weren’t used. There was much disappointment in the audience. Why is is so complicated so have a simple curtain work. It just needs to open and close. How complicated is that and it is something that distinguishes The Ziegfeld from every other multiplex box; something this theater needs to accentuate. p.s. Russell Crowe is a dreadful singer. :–)

hdtv267
hdtv267 on December 26, 2012 at 1:57 pm

of course they were.

It’s got more to do with it being around Rockefeller Center and that is where the Christmas Tree, skating rink, etc.

see I can speculate too.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on December 26, 2012 at 10:08 am

First three shows of Les Miserables were sold out at the Ziegfeld yesterday, even though it’s playing all over town. Moviegoers who are in the know, know where to go.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on December 1, 2012 at 9:56 am

Hello Again-

as Al A. states i guess i didn’t phrase the question correctly. i suppose i should have said what was the last exclusive 1st run engagement that the Ziegfeld had of a new film. the last exclusive engagement i can think of off the top of my head was the Harris/ Katz restoration of “Vertigo” Oct. 1996. but that was a re-issue not a new film.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on November 30, 2012 at 8:43 pm

I think he is asking the wrong question anyway.

There is no such thing as an “open ended engagement”. If the film is overselling, the distributor can open additional runs since they own the rights and the Ziegfeld can either pull it or play with other runs. The days of exclusive roadshow runs operated that way because the distributors wanted to create that exclusivity, not because the theatre had a contract. Oscars, financing issues, reviews and audience apathy trump any contract, and always have.

mdmjcc2
mdmjcc2 on November 30, 2012 at 7:39 pm

You know bigjoe59, you could do the work yourself – and let all of us know. As far as I know, just about every local library has the New York Times going back a number of years – and if you can’t get out – it is online through most local libraries.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on November 25, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Hello To All-

all the talk about the Ziegfeld having the chance to host an exclusive open ended engagement of a new film raises a pertinent question- i am not talking about the special exclusive two week engagements before they opened wide of “The Princess and the Frog” or “Dreamgirls”. what was the last film for which the Ziegfeld hosted an exclusive 1st run opened ended engagement?

LuisV
LuisV on November 25, 2012 at 10:49 am

It’s not enough that the movie be new. The movie must be good to get audiences. I had no desire to see Life of Pi. However, I will be there to see Les Miserables just as I was to see Hairspray, Chicago and Dreamgirls when they played here.

KingBiscuits
KingBiscuits on November 25, 2012 at 10:20 am

Les Miserables is set to open wide. And even with the Oscar buzz, it simply looks like another Phantom of the Opera (also, will the musical crowd go for one shot on handhelds?).

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on November 25, 2012 at 9:09 am

If Les Miserables is going to be exclusive at the Ziegfeld, like Chicago and Dreamgirls were a few years ago, there will be lots of full houses.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on November 25, 2012 at 8:54 am

I agree markp. The only times when the ziegfeld gets crowded are the movie premieres usually covered by the mainstream media. 35 years and one week ago, Close Encounters of the Third Kind had its world premiere in 70mm six track Dolby Stereo, being the first Spielberg film to play there. It was a huge success.

markp
markp on November 25, 2012 at 8:43 am

Not to be a kill joy by any means, but mhvbear’s comment is exactly the reason why theatres like the Ziegfeld are in danger of going away forever. Brand new movie, just released a few days ago, and less than 100 people in an 1100+ seat theatre.

mhvbear
mhvbear on November 24, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Saw ‘Life of Pi’ at the 12:30 PM show at the Ziegfeld on Friday. Less than 100 people were there. The presentation was excellent as I always have experienced there. If the sound of the trailer for ‘Les Miserables’ is any indication how the film will sound at the Ziegfeld it will be very impressive. Great bass that you could almost feel, especially the sound of the waves.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on November 24, 2012 at 11:53 am

Life of Pi is now playing in 3d. The most recent UFC fight was streamed live via sattelite last week at this theater.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on November 9, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on November 8, 2012 at 2:02 pm

To my knowledge Lincoln was not filmed in 70MM

KingBiscuits
KingBiscuits on November 7, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Lincoln is only on 35mm and digital.

raysson
raysson on November 7, 2012 at 6:08 pm

I heard Steven Spielburg’s LINCOLN will be playing at this theatre. Will this get the 70MM treatment?

Tom Brennan
Tom Brennan on November 7, 2012 at 3:12 pm

I wanted to see if Skyfall was going to be showing at the Ziegfeld, and I am shocked to find out that they won’t be. This marks the first time that a Bond film has not opened at a premiere single screen theater in New York City. The Astor Plaza was Bond central through 2002… Very sad.

CSWalczak
CSWalczak on November 5, 2012 at 12:15 am

Only time will tell of course, but if the current naming system being used by Digiplex holds in the event of an acquisition, the Ziegfield would probably become the Digiplex Ziegfeld on its website, in directories (online and elsewhere), and in advertising, but not with regard to the theater’s external signage.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on November 4, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Probably yes. Currently Argo is playing at the Z. Great movie. What’s the next film to play? BTW, if Digiplex indeed buys Clearview, expect shares of Cablevision to fall like stuttering picture and sound and that of Digiplex to rise….if they buy Clearview will the name change?

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on November 4, 2012 at 9:07 pm

70mm is the size of the film, not the size of the screen, which should make for aharper image. I wonder if the distributor is charging the exhibitor extra for the special print.

John Fink
John Fink on November 4, 2012 at 12:58 pm

I don’t know if DigPlex improves theaters apart from digital projection – Clearview is such a mixed bag of good and awful locations. Maybe they could partner up with Bow Tie, who I also think has a likely candidate to take over Clearview and split up the chain accordingly. Alternative content probably would be a benefit for the Ziegfeld which is a premiere house managed by one the worst theatre chains. I do like Bud Mayo’s ideas including his proactive approach to indie films (I’m not sure what the audiences are like for them, but they’re doing it in a low risk way).