Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 201 - 225 of 3,937 comments

atb
atb on September 27, 2012 at 7:54 am

Anyone else see “The Master” at the Ziegfeld and notice the “no surround sound” issue (see Howard Haas post)? I would be nothing short of stunned to here that the surrounds were off and the presentation was anything less than perfect.

CConnolly1
CConnolly1 on September 27, 2012 at 6:50 am

I hope the articles in the NY papers don’t spell the end for the Ziegfeld. It might’ve been mentioned before but its location doesn’t help it. It’s considerably far north of the Times Square area, smack in the middle of what is now (and has been) mostly a neighborhood populated by large office buildings and is situated right in the middle of 54th Street. Stroll up and down 6th or 7th Avenues and you’d really never know it was there. Am I wrong?

cmbussmann
cmbussmann on September 25, 2012 at 9:56 am

Saw The Master here on Friday in 70mm and the presentation was absolutely stunning! I am so grateful to The Ziegfeld for truly paying attention to the details: a staff member welcomed us to the theater and stated this was a special presentation. They also handed out comment cards after the show.

Having never seen 70mm before, I was blown-away by how crisp and beautiful it was. The movie itself was pretty good too.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on September 24, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Nothing odd. Just another premiere:

here

MarkieS
MarkieS on September 24, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I saw it there this past Friday 9/31. Odd no showings on Sunday.

mhvbear
mhvbear on September 24, 2012 at 7:18 pm

There were no showings of ‘The Master’ this past Sunday at the Ziegfeld.

CSWalczak
CSWalczak on September 24, 2012 at 3:45 pm

In that case, I am a bit surprised that the ad (I presume it was it was this one or one like it) did not include with in the copy a note such as “Opens [date] at the Ziegfeld”.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on September 24, 2012 at 2:01 pm

The film opened here with the second week wide break. It did not play here opening week. Distributors pay for all display ads in NYC.

CSWalczak
CSWalczak on September 24, 2012 at 1:20 pm

The Clearview website shows that it is currently playing at the Ziegfeld; perhaps with so many theater chains dropping print advertising these days, perhaps Clearview does not think it worth the expense. Also, given the somewhat mixed nature of the reviews nationwide, I wonder how long a theatrical run the film will now have.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on September 24, 2012 at 1:03 pm

The big ad in the Sunday times the last two weeks doesn’t show the Ziegfeld as showing this movie. I was wondering why because they were supposed to get it. Someone needs to have to corrected because they will be loosing business.

KingBiscuits
KingBiscuits on September 23, 2012 at 12:04 am

No matter the aspect ratio, The Master looks stunning.

I am nowhere near a location running it in 70mm but in standard digital (also in 1.85) has surround sound (this was a Dolby Digital house I saw it in) and the mix is excellent. I find it weird that a 70mm print with DTS would not have surrounds. I’m guessing that the theatre made a mistake that aspect of the presentation.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on September 22, 2012 at 9:55 pm

There were at least a few hundred people here today at the 3:30 PM show. “The Master” looked stunning in 70mm “flat” No curtain was used. No surround sound. I wish more movies were made in 70mm!

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on September 5, 2012 at 8:25 am

What a waste to have a 70mm print shown in 1.85. I guess I am glad we don’t have any theaters in Asheville that have 70MM capability.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on September 5, 2012 at 7:15 am

I saw the trailer for The Master this weekend, in a movie theater, and the trailer was shown “flat” (1.85) albeit in 35mm. This movie is getting rave reviews. I will probably see it here, at the Ziegfeld.

Danny Baldwin
Danny Baldwin on September 5, 2012 at 1:05 am

I confirmed with a few people who saw the movie that the 70mm prints are matted to 1.85 as well.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on September 4, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Just wondering… wouldn’t the nature of the 65mm negative render the aspect ratio 2.20:1, unless the film was matted in-camera? Perhaps PT Anderson cropped the image to 1.85:1 for 35mm and digital presentations and the 70mm prints will be true to their native aspect ratio? Just guessing. My grasp of the technological aspects involved here is not very solid.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on September 4, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Thanks Al. The problem is on my I Phone it doesn’t give me that oprion, but I can pull it up on the computer.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on August 31, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Mikeoaklandpark, it is under ASPECT RATIO on IMDB.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on August 31, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Hello-

i have been going to the Ziegfeld since it opened Dec. 1969 with the reserved seat engagement of “Marooned”. which brings me to my question. recently the theater has had special quick exclusive engagements like the 2 week run of “The Princess and The Frog” before it opened wide. to which does anyone remember what the theater’s last exclusive regular open ended 1st run engagement was?

the last one i can think of is Oct. 1996
release of the Katz/Harris restoration of
“Vertigo”.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on August 31, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Somone else told me that an on my I Phone I dont have anything that says Technical Specs. Where are you finding it. You can e mail me if you want CS.

CSWalczak
CSWalczak on August 31, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Yes; look up the film on the IMDB and then look under Technical Specs.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on August 31, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Some films that were 1.85 and 70MM were shown like scope. An example is Fame in 1981 and The Rose in 1979.I would be curious to hear how they do this film. Mark_L is there a site to go to that tells you if a film is in scope or 1.85?

CinemarkFan
CinemarkFan on August 31, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Does this mean that the 1.85: 1 frame will be within 70mm’s 2.20: 1 frame with black spaces on the sides?

Anyway, I am happy for moviegoers in LA, NY, Austin, Boston, Silver Spring etc… Too bad not a single theater here in Chicago were willing to install a projector. Unless my good fortunes change within the next few weeks, I’ll be seeing it in 4k at River East, or 35mm at theLandmark Century.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on August 31, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Surprising that the film isn’t in scope. PTA works compositional wonders on a wide-screen canvas. In fact, I can’t think of a single feature that he’s directed, which hasn’t been 2.35:1 … not even the his first, “Hard Eight,” or the offbeat “Punch Drunk Love.”