Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 201 - 225 of 4,351 comments

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on October 31, 2015 at 2:44 pm

Will the 70MM version of The Hateful 8 be on film, or is it possible to do 70MM in digital?

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on October 31, 2015 at 1:45 pm

Hello-

I have a question and I would like my fellow Ziegfeld devotes take on it. lets say for the sake of argument this theater does get SWVII. even with all the anticipation and even if it gets acclaimed as the best Stars Wars film yet would that really sell out the Ziegfeld even for a 2 week period? I ask this because no big film that’s played this theater in the last few years has ever even come close to selling out. plus SWVII will also be playing in God knows how many other theaters in Manhattan. this bring the main reason for the Ziegfeld’s low attendance. I look forward to your replies.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on October 30, 2015 at 8:04 pm

I notice in the photos that the marquee has recently said “Bow Tie Cinemas” but now says “A Walter Reade Theater.” What gives?

markp
markp on October 30, 2015 at 7:04 pm

walterk, I hope we can visit that place. I have not heard from them at all. I wonder if the stuff in the attic got saved. I would go see the hateful 8 with my wife after she gets out of Radio City, if they get it.

movieguy
movieguy on October 30, 2015 at 4:13 pm

I would definitely like to see the hateful eight roadshow edition 70 mm at the ZIG for sure. I would buy tickets on the 25th or 26th and head off into the city

movieguy
movieguy on October 30, 2015 at 4:13 pm

walterk
walterk on October 30, 2015 at 4:09 pm

markp, so would I, if it opens there Christmas I’ll be in the area for the holidays and will attend a showing. Regardless, I hope we have an opportunity to get together. Perhaps we can visit that place your Dad used to work again.

markp
markp on October 30, 2015 at 3:55 pm

Star Wars is going to be on every screen on every block in every neighborhood if possible. It will be out of gas within a month. I would rather see the roadshow exclusive Hateful 8 play here.

mhvbear
mhvbear on October 30, 2015 at 8:12 am

Good bet. Especially with 70mm Road Show like release early for The Hateful Eight. Limited roadshow engagement will be released two weeks earlier on December 25th. It will be a slightly different — and longer — film overall. The roadshow version has an overture and an intermission, and it will be three hours, two minutes. The digital version is about six minutes shorter not including the intermission.

MarkNYLA
MarkNYLA on October 30, 2015 at 3:04 am

BowTie is NOT a particularly big chain. AMC is a big chain, they have a new Dolby Vision PLF screen at the Empire and locations all over the city and the tristate area. Regal is a big chain, with large screens in Midtown and the Village. My bet is that Star Wars goes to AMC and the Ziegfeld gets Hateful 8.

movieguy
movieguy on October 30, 2015 at 3:00 am

Yes it doesn’t look good for them getting Star Wars. As they should’ve gotten it back whenever one else did. John the manager knows it would’ve been a much better choice than any other movie because of course it would sell out the first weekend and be busy for a few weeks for sure. Not a good choice from whoever is up higher in the organization and deciding what they get at the theater

xbs2034
xbs2034 on October 29, 2015 at 7:26 pm

I doubt Hateful Eight has been pushed back, the limited release is December 25th, and the wide is January 8th, and Fandango probably just is reflecting that.

I suspect the Ziegfeld would indeed get more business from Star Wars, but they should have had made that decision already as SW got record pre-sales and many shows are already sold out, so seeing a Ziegfeld option on the day tickets went on sale would have helped them.

movieguy
movieguy on October 29, 2015 at 2:48 pm

I also asked John the manager if they would get the hateful eight. He said he’s not sure but he thinks that would only do business for the one week a limited and engagement it would play in 70 mm. He would rather get Star Wars. Let’s see what happens. I see the hateful eight according To fandango has been pushed back to January 8. Don’t know if this is a mistake or not

movieguy
movieguy on October 29, 2015 at 2:47 pm

It’ll be nice to see 007 James Bond. I went for the back to the future trilogy on October 21. Good attendance and it looked fantastic up on the big screen with a very good audio as well. I spoke to John the manager and ask them if they were getting Star Wars. He Said it’s still being held up the decision on whether to give them Star Wars. I have no idea why it hasn’t been booked because bowtie is a big chain. No reason not to show it there.

markp
markp on October 29, 2015 at 2:44 pm

Screw Star Wars. I hope they get Hateful 8 in 70MM

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on October 29, 2015 at 11:27 am

According to Fandango, this theater will show the new James Bond movie Spectre next weekend after the Martian concludes its month long run in 3D. No word on if Star Wars: The Force Awakens will play at this theater given that advance tickets were put out last week.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on October 29, 2015 at 11:27 am

xbs2034
xbs2034 on September 30, 2015 at 9:34 pm

The theater is back open this weekend, showing Ridley Scott’s The Martian.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on September 20, 2015 at 3:06 pm

Hello-

I have enjoyed reading the recent posts on this page. a few comments.

1. the Castro Theater in S.F. is indeed a grand old quite beautiful film house but it was built from the get go in Sept. 1922 as a 2nd/3rd run neighborhood house. it would be interesting to find how many grand old movie theaters built in the heyday of 1914- 1941 that were built from the get go as 1st run venues have continue to operate as such since the day they opened. so the fact a theater as grand and large as the Ziegfeld has continued to operate as a single screen
    1st run venue since the day it opened it Dec. of 1969 is a miracle. this is especially true considering Manhattan real estate mania.

2. also as grand and gorgeous a theater as the EL Capitan in Hollywood is it was not built as a movie theater. in opened in 1925 as a venue for live performances and only became a movie theater in 1941 when it was the only house in L.A. willing to play Citizen Kane.

pnelson
pnelson on September 16, 2015 at 7:05 pm

I forgot to mention another superior theatre in Seattle. The Cinerama. Built in the 60’s and restored and the best technology. Huge curved cinerama screen and stars in the curved ceiling. Truly unique. Not a megaplex look here and a single screen in downtown Seattle where the real estate is quite expensive. Check it out. A true treasure. I think one should treasure all single screen movie theatres though. The Zeigfeld especially in that valuable real estate market.

Movieholic
Movieholic on September 16, 2015 at 6:55 pm

xbs2034 you are absolutely correct. Thanks for pointing that out. I should have mentioned it. HowardBHaas I haven’t been to the others theatres you mentioned but want to, particularly the El Capitan in Hollywood.

pnelson
pnelson on September 16, 2015 at 6:55 pm

This theatre is attractive but a little dull. Red velvet does not impress me. Yes the restored movie palaces of Los Angeles do. Like the Million Dollar-etc. Seattle has a recent smaller theatre called the Majestic Bay that is lovely with a working blue waterfall curtain and crystal lighting now. The best sound and screen too. Know the Ziegfeld is unique in that so many theatres in that city have been torn down. The original Ziegfeld was wonderful. Yes be glad a single screen theatre still exists there. Oh Check out the restored Kings. Now there is the best! Cheers!

xbs2034
xbs2034 on September 16, 2015 at 4:59 pm

Movieholic: probably the reason why the screen didn’t seem as big with Apes is that is a 1.85 movie, so not as much of the screen space is being used as with the 2.35 films which make up the majority of the Ziegfeld presentations.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on September 16, 2015 at 3:21 pm

The Ziegfeld is pretty but not the nation’s prettiest single screen movie house. San Francisco’s Castro. El Capitan & others in LA. Suffern NY’s Lafayette. And, so forth. But the Ziegfeld is the most impressive place for NYC to host a movie premiere! And, it is a tremendous moviehouse for all of us to cherish & see more movies for as long as it remains open!

Movieholic
Movieholic on September 16, 2015 at 1:42 pm

The Ziegfeld is arguably the most beautiful, magnificent single screen movie house in the nation. I’m amazed it is still open, considering there are very few single screen cinemas left in the country. Seeing “Dawn of the Planet of the Apes” here last year brought back so many memories. The screen wasn’t as big as I remembered but that may be because the movie was shown in Digital 3D. The other films I saw:

Roman Polanski’s Pirates Cry Freedom Lawrence of Arabia – the 1989 reissue in truly stunning 70MM; this was a totally mesmerizing experience, a real treat Edward Scissorhands Strange Days