Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 201 - 225 of 4,064 comments

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on November 30, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Bud is right. The Ziegfeld will never sell out with a new movie, but if TCM holds another Road to Hollywood event there in early 2014, like they’ve done for the last few years, you won’t see one empty seat. That’s a sight to behold.

fred1
fred1 on November 30, 2013 at 2:22 pm

When I was last at the Ziefeld during the summertime did

hdtv267
hdtv267 on November 30, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Was the curtain utilized pre and post show, please Bud? Thanks.

Bud K
Bud K on November 29, 2013 at 11:37 pm

I saw Hunger Games in the Theater on Wednesday Evening, 11/27/2013 what a treat, Perfect presentation, very clean, friendly staff and enjoyed the experience but friends here is the reality, you will never see that theater full, it’s too big and expensive to maintain but its saving grace and possible downfall is the parking business under it at $8.45 per half hour, It would not surprise me to see half of it taken away or all of it but until then it’s a beautiful way to see a movie in this Cinema Treasure!

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on August 19, 2013 at 4:09 am

I feel better with Bow Tie doing the bookings.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 16, 2013 at 6:07 am

Bow Tie is just doing the booking. The theater is still controlled by lessee Cablevision.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on August 16, 2013 at 3:54 am

Ok I am confused. I was just on Bow Tie cinemas web page and they show the Ziegfeld as one of their theaters. I thought it wasn’t part of the Clearview package.

BobbyS
BobbyS on August 9, 2013 at 6:11 pm

You do realize the people that work there have no passion for the name Ziegfeld. They could care less. Its a job. Only someone like us that love these theaters would go over & beyond the call of duty to give 110% to patrons. We understand what it means to be part of a long by-gone era. Even if its only a name!

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 9, 2013 at 5:09 pm

While the auditorium is a wow, the ticketing area (lobby?) and the concession area are less than sensational.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on August 9, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Hello-

I also remember the original exclusive 1st run
engagement of “Close Encounters”. it was Nov. of
1977 and there were lines around the block for
just about every screening on the weekend.

its nice that Bow Tie will continue to operate this theater well into the future. one would have thought the age of the multiplex would have doomed into oblivion theaters such as the Ziegfeld.

how this theater has stayed open when you consider the land underneath it is worth way more than the theater could ever bring in is one of the great mysteries.

BobbyS
BobbyS on August 8, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Hard to believe the Ziegfeld will continue to be in operation in the future. What a wonderful throwback to those glorious days of the single screen movie palace when entering the lobby was a sensation all by itself !

Garth
Garth on August 8, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Saw “Close Encounters” here on its opening exclusive engagement. I intend to return this month to check out the theatre.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on July 5, 2013 at 11:48 am

moivebuff 82 that gave me hives LOL

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on July 5, 2013 at 11:09 am

Imagine if amc took over the Z….lol

fred1
fred1 on July 5, 2013 at 10:59 am

Cablevision is still looking for a buyer . in the meantime I hope it takes a long long time

BobbyS
BobbyS on July 5, 2013 at 10:32 am

I am thrilled the Ziegfeld is still open & running in these days of muli-screens…Wish Radio City would show movies once in awhile..

BobbyS
BobbyS on July 5, 2013 at 10:32 am

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on July 4, 2013 at 10:49 am

Hello-

I read the article for which Mike posted the link in which Charles B. Moss Jr. the CEO of Bow Tie is interviewed. he states the Chelsea multiplex will get a redo since unlike the Ziegfeld Clearview has let let it grow shabby over the years. I just went to the theater this past Sat. 6/29 to see “I’m So Excited” and the theater was in fine shape. in fact the redesign done by Clearview after they took over
from Cineplex Odeon is still in great shape. so how is the Chelsea in shabby condition?

the Ziegfeld is in fact in “shabbier” shape per se since they’ve never bothered fixing the curtain.

mhvbear
mhvbear on July 4, 2013 at 9:59 am

They are just doing the booking. The theater is still owned by the parent company of Clearview Cinemas.

LuisV
LuisV on July 4, 2013 at 7:51 am

Wait….they are taking over the Ziegfeld too? I though it had been excluded?

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on July 3, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Bow Tie is in the house, effective this week.

KennethJacowitz
KennethJacowitz on July 3, 2013 at 6:51 am

Years ago someone posted here a marvelous list of movies shown at the Ziegfeld, but I can’t find it on the list. Could please someone re-post it?

Besides loving the list, what prompted me is a friend trying to find out where a picture was taken. The picture is from the Midtown area, an unusual building or temporary structure upon which an enormous poster for the 1978 Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band movie is being applied.

Anyone have any idea?

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on May 17, 2013 at 8:51 pm

According to Lou Lumineck at the NY Post: Moss says the programming at the 1,131-seat venue would remain “pretty much as it is'‘ — first-run movies, movie premieres and special events like high-definition opera presentations. Cablevision spokeswoman Kelly McAndrew also declined to discuss the theater'sĀ finances or the length of the lease — believed to have around 10 years to go — but stressed that "this great partnership allows us to keep the Ziegfeld, which is open for business.’'

Link here

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on May 13, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Yes, right, as Ken Roe & I wrote in our Intro for LA’s Egyptian, it was shown there, though we have for about 6 months. So far as I know, it was only in the 1950s & 1960s that some films played some showplace theaters for more than one year.