Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas

6360 Sunset Boulevard,
Hollywood,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Showing 201 - 225 of 1,102 comments

jsittig
jsittig on May 7, 2012 at 9:58 am

The 4k images will be the same size and aspect ratio as if we were playing film. When we played Ben HUR in 70mm in the 1990', it was not an ultra-panavision print. We should have the DCP on Wednesday so I will comment then. The Christie Solaria does not compensate for the deeply curved screen. We are still working on the schedule for the September Cinerama event. At this time, Brothers Grimm looks doubtful as the print that played in Bradford last week has some problems. And finally Seattle. They were able to borrow archival 70mm prints because they have 2 70mm projectors and can do changeovers. We only have one in the Dome now. Also, Paul Allen has paid to strike new prints for Seattle. Hope that answers your questions.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on May 7, 2012 at 8:38 am

Hello From NYC To My Fellow Moviegoers In L.A.–

two quick questions-

1.at the Archlight Cinemas attached to the Cinerama Dome there is of course a surcharge for 3-D, IMAX and 3-D IMAX films. but what is the charge for a regular film? in NYC it varies. some art houses charge $11 or $12 but the big chain multipexes are obviously more. for instance the Chelsea multipex run by Clearview Cinemas charges $13.25 whereas the Regal 42 St. and Union Square multiplexes charge $14.

2.it is certainly worth a trip out to L.A. to see “The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm” in 3-Strip Cinerama at the Dome. so is there any real news are the possibility?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 7, 2012 at 7:57 am

All nonstop flights from Newark NJ to LA are already booked up for the last weekend in September. I did some pre-planning on the off-chance they’ll be showing “The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm”.

MarkNYLA
MarkNYLA on May 7, 2012 at 7:24 am

So … . any firm dates for the three-strip Cinerama shows in September? I mean, travel plans have to be made …

Danny Baldwin
Danny Baldwin on May 6, 2012 at 8:50 pm

That’s a question for John Sittig. I don’t see why it would, though.

Giles
Giles on May 6, 2012 at 8:29 pm

@ Danny: Does the Solaria Christie Duo™ technology projectors correct the bowing of the image on the edges of the curved screen?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 6, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Will “The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm” be part of the Cinerama event in September? I’ve heard all kinds of rumors saying yes and no, but nothing definite. Thanks, Mr. Sittig.

Zubi
Zubi on May 5, 2012 at 9:52 am

Mr. Sittig – What is the projected image size of a 4K presentation of “Ben-Hur” or “Zhivago” as compared to if you had 70 prints of those films for the Dome? Also, has anyone mentioned to you that the Seattle Cinerama has been playing a whole wad of great celluloid recently (35 and 70; bran new and classic prints). The 3-strip movies are cool (particularly “How the West Was Won”) but surely Hollywood, CA should not be outdone by Seattle, WA?

Cliffs
Cliffs on May 5, 2012 at 9:12 am

Actually, tickets are available now.

Cliffs
Cliffs on May 5, 2012 at 9:02 am

FINALLY!!! I was wondering how long it would take Arclight to remember they had the Cinerama Dome (which is actually equipped to show great classic films rather than simply being a 3D surcharge machine, which it’s terrible at). After all of the recent Arclight Presents sell outs maybe they’re getting wise again. Too bad it took them beyond Raiders and The Exorcist to realize it. I will definitely be there in full force.

jsittig
jsittig on May 4, 2012 at 5:02 pm

CLASSICS ON THE CINERAMA SCREEN. For one week only, May 11-17th, ArcLight Cinemas will present three of MGM’s biggest films and four Stanley Kubrick classics. BEN HUR, DOCTOR ZHIVAGO, GONE WITH THE WIND, BARRY LYNDON, FULL METAL JACKET, LOLITA, and THE SHINING, all presented in 4K digital projection. Tickets will be available Monday at arclightcinemas.com Don’t miss this chance to see these great films in the Cinerama Dome. John Sittig, Director of Projection and Sound, Cinerama Inc and ArcLight Cinemas. I am one of the biggest supporters of celluloid but the fact is, quality prints are harder and harder to find. We will be running How The West Was Won, This Is Cinerama in 3 strip 35mm Cinerama and Mad World in 70mm Ultra-Panavision in September.

Danny Baldwin
Danny Baldwin on April 29, 2012 at 2:28 pm

The entire ArcLight Chain is now Christie Solaria… so I guess no more NEC. http://collider.com/hobbit-arclight-hollywood-cinerama-dome-digital-conversion/162066/

Flix70
Flix70 on April 17, 2012 at 8:43 am

Took the family to see Titanic 3D at the Dome this past weekend. Hadn’t been in more than three years. Sat in the last row on the ground level (my favorite seats). The film looked great on the giant concave screen and the 3D effects were actually pretty cool. The glasses were a bit cumbsersome over three hours(visor-type XD ones instead of the more comfortable RealD glasses) but overall a very enjoyable experience.

ChasSmith
ChasSmith on April 16, 2012 at 2:52 pm

I’d like to echo Bill Heulbig’s sentiment above. Did DEFG leave the site? I don’t know anyone in this thread personally, but if that happened, I believe it’s a loss that needs to be addressed.

RobertAlex
RobertAlex on April 16, 2012 at 10:27 am

Did anybody get to see HTWWW or the digital version of 2001 yesterday?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on April 13, 2012 at 9:59 am

DEFG, where did you go? I hope you’re not gone from the site for good. Your photos were a real treasure trove, and the information in your posts was a great addition to Cinema Treasures.

RogerA
RogerA on April 12, 2012 at 10:55 pm

I will wait until September they should run some Cinerama again then.

RobertAlex
RobertAlex on April 12, 2012 at 9:06 pm

They are showing HTWWW Sunday April 15th at 9am. You can try for stand by tickets at $20 each. I did standby for the TCM Film Fest last year and got in for all 3 movies I went to at other venues, but I am sure this will be much more difficult.

www.in70mm.com lists there will be a Cinerama Festival here from Sept 28th to Oct 4th. Hope that is the case!

RogerA
RogerA on April 12, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Do I understand that there is a showing of How the West Was Won in three projector Cinerama this Sunday 15 april 15http://www.tcm.com/festival/schedule.html?day=sunday or did I get that wrong. But they do not sell separate tickets for this screening. So 300 bucks to see a movie in Cinerama?

JSA
JSA on April 12, 2012 at 8:11 pm

From today’s (4/12/12) LA Times:

JSA

RogerA
RogerA on April 12, 2012 at 6:24 pm

I understand more than you think and what does that all have to do with the Cinerama Dome? Yea guidelines “Stay on topic”

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on April 12, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Hello Again To My Fellow Posters-

while we’re on the subject. why is it that some companies have been better at keeping prints of their roadshow widescreen epics in damn good condition that other companies? for instance none of the dvds of UA’s widescreen roadshow epics released by MGM Home Video have been the complete roadshow prints. whereas all the dvds and now blu-ray discs that Warner Bros. Home Video have released of MGM’S widescreen roadshow epics have been the
complete roadshow prints. what gives?

RogerA
RogerA on April 12, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Well DEFG you sure can write a lot about nothing

RogerA
RogerA on April 12, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Like a complete version of A Star is Born the full roadshow version of Mad World may be lost forever. The Ultra Panavision 70(anamorphic) print that is available now is not the full roadshow version. The sound mix does not have the left extra and right extra track so the sound mix is only three front channels and a surround channel.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on April 12, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Bigjoe59… I’ll leave it to others more knowledgeable than myself to answer your question, but I don’t believe an original roadshow print of “Its A Mad Mad Mad Mad World” has existed in many decades. While bits and pieces have shown up here and there, a complete restoration has never been completed. The early “complete” versions of that film released on home video, included outtakes and trims that Stanley Kramer himself never intended to include in the finished product, and was cobbled together to approximate roadshow length.