Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas

6360 Sunset Boulevard,
Hollywood,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Showing 201 - 225 of 1,108 comments

Giles
Giles on May 10, 2012 at 7:36 pm

oh, so they did what Rialto did with the recent rerelease of ‘Lola Montes’ and place the wider aspect ratio image inside a scope 2.35 framing. Isn’t the movie on a DCP hard drive? Is it 2K or 4K?

jsittig
jsittig on May 10, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Zubi, I just ran a little of BEN HUR. Warners has done an excellent job in restoring the original Camera 65 (ultra-Panavision) image. The TI chip has information edge to edge, but there are black bars at the top and bottom of the regular “scope” image to give it more width. You will see a little more information than you saw at the Dome in 70mm as that was a spherical print with 220: x 1 aspect ratio. John

Zubi
Zubi on May 10, 2012 at 1:45 am

Jsittig: Did you see my follow up question on May 8 at 3:29p? Will this Sunday’s digital showing of “Ben Hur” be the same projected image size as that film’s 70mm performance in the Dome in 1990/91?

jsittig
jsittig on May 9, 2012 at 10:15 am

r1_83 In the Cinerama Dome were use five JBL 4632 three-way ScreenArray speakers for L-XL-C-XR-R behind the screen plus 6 JBL dual 4642A subwoofers. In the auditorium, we have 48, JBL 4630 surrounds We use QSC amplifiers, Dolby CP650 processor for standard presentations and a modified CP200 for magnetic 7 channel playback for Cinerama. We can also play 35mm and 70mm DTS, and SDDS 8 channel. projection on Kinoton EP75 for 35/70mm, 3-Century Cinerama projectors and 2 Christie Solaria 4230, 4K digital projectors

rl_83
rl_83 on May 8, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Mr Sittig – Can you comment on the sound system at the dome? I visited the Dome on vacation last year and was blown away. Curious to know what you have behind that enormous screen :–)

Zubi
Zubi on May 8, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Mr. Sittig – Thank you for responding to my questions. Just one final clarification, if I’m not being too much of a nuisance. When you say that 4K’s picture size is the same as “film”, do you mean the same as 70mm film projection as presented in the Dome? I ask because, as you know, whereas 35-scope and 70 are often the same projected image size in smaller (multiplex) auditoriums, that is not the case with very large screens such yours. I’m not as knowledgeable as you are regarding widescreen formats such as “Ultra-Panavision”, etc. However, my recollection of your early 90s showing of “Ben-Hur” was that the masking was pulled back to its outermost settings (picture nearly to ceiling and incredibly wide). Alternatively, “El Cid” in ‘93, which was in 35-scope at the Dome, had heavy masking dropped way down and brought in, even though it too was a widescreen. Will your upcoming showing of “Ben-Hur” in the Dome be akin to the former or the latter? Thank you.

Flix70
Flix70 on May 8, 2012 at 8:37 am

jsittig: I see Ben-Hur does play a couple of other times throughout the weekend at Arclight but it’s only at the Dome for the one showing(Sun, May 13). Sorry, just not the same experience on the other screens. This is the type of film that should get at least a one-week run at the Dome, like The Godfather did a few years back.

CSWalczak
CSWalczak on May 7, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Sadly, that is something that most likely will never happen again, at least not at the Dome.

RogerA
RogerA on May 7, 2012 at 4:49 pm

The best show I remember was back in the 90’s when the Dome ran 2001 in 70mm. It was a good mag 6 channel print.

jsittig
jsittig on May 7, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Ben HUR as well as the other films will be playing more than once throughout the week

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on May 7, 2012 at 4:26 pm

I saw “Ben-Hur” at the Dome during its final weekend before it shut down to build ArcLight back in Summer 2000. It wasn’t a 70MM print…but it was definitely shown in 2:70:1 aspect ratio! I clearly remember the techs having to expand the side making beyond their 2:40:1 point in order to fit the whole image on screen. Unforgettable!

I think I posted this exact same info a few hundred comments before this one. :)

RogerA
RogerA on May 7, 2012 at 11:13 am

We need a good 70mm festival in Los Angeles? So few theaters can run 70mm these days especially reel to reel.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 7, 2012 at 10:48 am

I saw the 4K Ben-Hur at Lincoln Center in NYC last October on a 50-ft. screen, and it looked indistinguishable from 70mm (to me, anyway).

Flix70
Flix70 on May 7, 2012 at 10:39 am

Wow! I’ve been waiting forever for Ben-Hur to screen at the Dome. Too bad it’s a one-shot deal, on Mother’s Day no less. Oh well. Somebody tell me how it was.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 7, 2012 at 10:11 am

Mr. Sittig: Thanks for answering all the questions! To paraphrase Chris Utley, I’ll still keep hope alive for The Brothers Grimm, though.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on May 7, 2012 at 10:00 am

Revival in the land??? Say it ain’t so!

It’s Mother’s Day Weekend so I’ll only be able to go to “The Shining” on Friday night. Never seen it…scared already!

Now that the dead hath awakened (running The Raid/Five Year Enagaement and no Avengers is ONE WAY to get some fire in your belly!), could we finally be on our way to a proper 70MM film festival here? Then again…with their newfound love for 4K digital, I doubt it. I’ll still keep hope alive!

jsittig
jsittig on May 7, 2012 at 9:58 am

The 4k images will be the same size and aspect ratio as if we were playing film. When we played Ben HUR in 70mm in the 1990', it was not an ultra-panavision print. We should have the DCP on Wednesday so I will comment then. The Christie Solaria does not compensate for the deeply curved screen. We are still working on the schedule for the September Cinerama event. At this time, Brothers Grimm looks doubtful as the print that played in Bradford last week has some problems. And finally Seattle. They were able to borrow archival 70mm prints because they have 2 70mm projectors and can do changeovers. We only have one in the Dome now. Also, Paul Allen has paid to strike new prints for Seattle. Hope that answers your questions.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on May 7, 2012 at 8:38 am

Hello From NYC To My Fellow Moviegoers In L.A.–

two quick questions-

1.at the Archlight Cinemas attached to the Cinerama Dome there is of course a surcharge for 3-D, IMAX and 3-D IMAX films. but what is the charge for a regular film? in NYC it varies. some art houses charge $11 or $12 but the big chain multipexes are obviously more. for instance the Chelsea multipex run by Clearview Cinemas charges $13.25 whereas the Regal 42 St. and Union Square multiplexes charge $14.

2.it is certainly worth a trip out to L.A. to see “The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm” in 3-Strip Cinerama at the Dome. so is there any real news are the possibility?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 7, 2012 at 7:57 am

All nonstop flights from Newark NJ to LA are already booked up for the last weekend in September. I did some pre-planning on the off-chance they’ll be showing “The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm”.

MarkNYLA
MarkNYLA on May 7, 2012 at 7:24 am

So … . any firm dates for the three-strip Cinerama shows in September? I mean, travel plans have to be made …

Danny Baldwin
Danny Baldwin on May 6, 2012 at 8:50 pm

That’s a question for John Sittig. I don’t see why it would, though.

Giles
Giles on May 6, 2012 at 8:29 pm

@ Danny: Does the Solaria Christie Duo™ technology projectors correct the bowing of the image on the edges of the curved screen?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 6, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Will “The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm” be part of the Cinerama event in September? I’ve heard all kinds of rumors saying yes and no, but nothing definite. Thanks, Mr. Sittig.

Zubi
Zubi on May 5, 2012 at 9:52 am

Mr. Sittig – What is the projected image size of a 4K presentation of “Ben-Hur” or “Zhivago” as compared to if you had 70 prints of those films for the Dome? Also, has anyone mentioned to you that the Seattle Cinerama has been playing a whole wad of great celluloid recently (35 and 70; bran new and classic prints). The 3-strip movies are cool (particularly “How the West Was Won”) but surely Hollywood, CA should not be outdone by Seattle, WA?

Cliffs
Cliffs on May 5, 2012 at 9:12 am

Actually, tickets are available now.