Loew's Capitol Theatre

1645 Broadway,
New York, NY 10019

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 11, 2018 at 7:31 pm

Here is the ad Al Alvarez mentioned. Thanks, Al, for steering us to it. Renata Adler, who is still alive at age 80, seemed to have an aversion to popular movies which later became classics, but she did like “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang”.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 11, 2018 at 7:02 pm

She wasn’t crazy about “2001” either. She complained that its purely visual storytelling should be “verbalized”. But she did include it in her list of the best of 1968 at year’s end (not in the top 10, though). A lot of critics changed their feelings about that movie as time went on.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on February 11, 2018 at 6:24 pm

Renata Adler was the chief film critic for the NYT in 1968. According to an ad in the March 22, 1968 NYT for “HERE WE GO ROUND THE MULBERRY BUSH”, she also disliked “THE GRADUATE”, “BONNIE & CLYDE”, and “GUESS WHO’S COMING TO DINNER” along with “PLANET OF THE APES”. She was fired in 1969.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on February 11, 2018 at 5:49 pm

Interesting! Thanks guys

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 11, 2018 at 3:30 pm

Thanks for the excellent retrospective on Planet of the Apes. A great way to kick off the exceptional movie year 1968.

For a typically snooty, dismissive New York Times review of this classic, click here. They even got the running time wrong.

I can back up what Joseph said. I saw 2001 here in June 1968. I’d say there were at least 1200 seats in the balcony alone.

Joseph
Joseph on February 11, 2018 at 1:07 pm

to Mark: I saw 2001 at the NYC Capitol; a few days before it closed. The seating capacity was immense, easily 4,000 plus. Portions of the auditorium were curtained off. The seats in the closed off sections were not available for sale during the Cinerama roadshow engagement of 2001.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on February 10, 2018 at 4:56 pm

For what it’s worth, wasn’t the Capitol’s seating capacity more like 1200 in 1968? (This from a guy (me) who was never even in the city when the Capitol existed, let alone inside, or even walked by it.)

MSC77
MSC77 on February 10, 2018 at 12:40 pm

Here’s a related retrospective article that might interest some of you: Something Better Than Man: Remembering “Planet of the Apes” On Its 50th Anniversary

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on February 10, 2018 at 9:06 am

It’s a little weird that it opened at both the 5000+ seat Capitol and the 599 seat 72nd St. Playhouse.

(By the way, it’s a little annoying that the search feature is so specific that it took me three tries to locate the 72nd St. Playhouse because I didn’t have the name exactly right.)

And MSC77, why don’t you put the Planet of the Apes ad on the 72nd St. Playhouse page also. Thanks in advance.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 9, 2018 at 4:07 pm

I get Eastern Time on my page and I’m in New Jersey. Happy 50th to Planet of the Apes!

MSC77
MSC77 on February 9, 2018 at 2:54 pm

There’s no need to correct me regarding my “Planet of the Apes” comment, Comfortably Cool, since I posted my comment on the 8th. I posted the comment at 9:39pm PST which is what shows up in the time and date stamp when I view this page. Perhaps my comment displays on your computer with an Eastern Time Zone posting?

Comfortably Cool
Comfortably Cool on February 9, 2018 at 6:51 am

Opening date was February 8th, 1968. See newspaper ad uploaded yesterday to the Capitol’s photo section.

MSC77
MSC77 on February 8, 2018 at 9:39 pm

“Planet of the Apes” opened here (and simultaneously at 72nd Street Playhouse) fifty years ago today.

BobbyS
BobbyS on August 21, 2017 at 11:06 am

Saw them at the Chicago Theater in the 1950’s along with their movie showing. Huge crowds! Doubt they ever played neighborhood palaces for so many dropped the stage show policy here in Chicago. Too bad!

vindanpar
vindanpar on August 12, 2017 at 6:26 pm

As per The Parent Trap ad:

In her autobio O'Hara’s story about the billing is pretty funny.

It was in her contract to have star billing which she does have. But as you can see Uncle Walt pulled a fast one on her. She was not happy. Her lawyer told her not to go near it. Walt would nail her to the wall.

vindanpar
vindanpar on June 29, 2017 at 5:57 pm

Of course if you had real class you had reserved seats to see GWTW at the Astor rather than waiting on line to see it with the mobs at the Capitol.

Bill I so envy you!

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on June 29, 2017 at 2:08 pm

Well of course the Capitol was for the middle class. The whole idea of the movie palace was to recreate an ambience of aristocratic refinement for working and middle class audiences. Some theatres may have been nicer than others but every movie theatre on Broadway (and elsewhere) was for the hoi polloi. The only real upper class moviegoing experience was that at a screening room in a private home or estate! The superior feeling that a loge seat at the Roxy or Criterion provided was just one more piece of the marketing genius of the movie moguls.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 29, 2017 at 1:31 pm

The Criterion may have been classier, but nothing compared to the Cinerama screen at the Capitol!

vindanpar
vindanpar on June 29, 2017 at 10:50 am

Divans-how good could they be at $4.25 for a weekend evening? The far classier Criterion loge seats were $5.50 back in ‘64 and were $6 for tickets they were selling in advance for Funny Girl. Clearly the middle class Capitol even on hardticket was for the hoi polloi.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 29, 2017 at 7:12 am

They called the balcony the Upper Mezzanine in this ad. Either way, it was still the cheapest seat.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 29, 2017 at 7:07 am

I don’t recall the curtain, although there must have been one up there. I just remember that the seats seemed to go on forever, up and up. That theater made a huge impression on me. It’s still the most awesome screen I’ve ever seen, after almost 50 years.

vindanpar
vindanpar on June 29, 2017 at 7:04 am

Was there a curtain behind them? As older pictures show on this page the lower balcony was separated by a curtain from the upper balcony.

I wonder how the seating was configured for the roadshow Windjammer at the Roxy. I doubt they were selling the entire house.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 29, 2017 at 6:42 am

The balcony was in use when I saw 2001 at the Capitol on 6/15/1968. I was 13 years old. My dad and I were in the front row of the loge (what they called the divans) and I remember looking up at the balcony, filled with people. Although it was probably just the lower part compared to what it was in the 30’s and ‘40s, it seemed huge to me.

My dad missed seeing the stage. He used to go there all the time for stage show/movie combinations.

vindanpar
vindanpar on June 28, 2017 at 6:42 pm

Found it on ebay:

The Making of Kubrick’s 2001 Edited by Jerome Agel 1970

vindanpar
vindanpar on June 28, 2017 at 5:53 pm

Found it in Michael Coates article: 37 weeks total.