Capitol Theatre

1645 Broadway,
New York, NY 10019

robboehm
robboehm on February 28, 2009 at 3:47 pm

Since I lived on Long Island most of the theatre excursions my family took me to were at the Music Hall, the Roxy or Loew’s State. Which of the latter had the fountain? I think I was once in the theatre to see Pat and Mike with Tracy and Hepburn. But my real recollection of the theatre was that it’s white neon name could be seen for a dozen or more blocks before you got there.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 28, 2009 at 7:55 am

Thanks, Warren. Full issues of Boxoffice magazine are available on the web – I should check there.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 28, 2009 at 7:37 am

Good question, Rory. I’ve seen photos of the Capitol showing “2001” (probably my favorite of all the pictures I’ve seen on the internet) and “Doctor Zhivago”, but so far no “Planet of the Apes”.

Rory
Rory on February 27, 2009 at 10:37 pm

I still wonder if there’s a photo anywhere on this planet of the Capitol marquee when “Planet of the Apes” opened at the theatre on February 8, 1968?

Jermaine
Jermaine on February 25, 2009 at 8:47 pm

The great lost classic LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT had it’s NYC opening here in 1927.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on November 20, 2008 at 1:55 pm

Ken: as a kid I loved going to that same Automat you can see in the picture. I’ll bet if someone revived that idea today, in a location like Times Square, the tourists would eat it up (excuse the pun).

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on November 20, 2008 at 1:13 pm

Seeing the Automat sign in the old photos reminds me of Horn & Hardart, Philadelphia’s version in the sixties. You opened a little door in the wall and took out your sandwich or piece of pie. I don’t think any automats exist today.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on November 20, 2008 at 6:51 am

The ad was dated 8/11/65. The paper: the New York Journal-American.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on November 20, 2008 at 6:50 am

In this ad you can see two Cinerama pictures from United Artists within 4 blocks of each other, one great (“Greatest Story”) and one lousy (“Hallelujah Trail” at the Capitol – I never liked that movie. Maybe it was better in Cinerama …) Whatever you or I may think of the movies, though … what a choice to have!

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on November 20, 2008 at 6:14 am

And between the Warner and the Victoria, “How to Marry a Millionaire” is showing in CinemaScope at the Globe. And I’ll bet those are red marquee letters too.

William
William on November 19, 2008 at 5:42 pm

You can see “This is Cinerama” is at the Warner Theatre in it’s 9th. month. The Victoria Theatre is playing “Forever Female” with William Holden and Pat Crowley.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on November 19, 2008 at 5:07 pm

This February 1954 view of the Capitol signage is from a new collection of Life Magazine images on Google. Apologies if I missed this photo anywhere in the above posts.

markp
markp on September 11, 2008 at 10:02 am

Marble staircases, ornate ceilings made of marble and plaster, now thats a movie palace. It beats any of these sheetrock multiplexes they build today.

Rory
Rory on August 17, 2008 at 9:45 am

That marble staircase originally had no escalators in the middle of it, and I think a lot of elegance was lost when they were put in. If I’d owned the place I’d never have done it, but it’s all moot now anyway and it’s still a damn shame the theatre is no more.

Goodheart
Goodheart on August 16, 2008 at 10:55 am

Rory, you hit the nail on the head!

JoeB

Rory
Rory on August 16, 2008 at 10:39 am

Going to the movies at a theatre today just isn’t the same as it was, even as recently as the late 70s. It’ll never be the same. Theatres no longer have the kind of lobbies they used to, nor the poster displays, and just looking at what’s now being asked for popcorn and sodas is enough to make you cry. Even though I like the new stadium seating of some newer theatres, it still kind of sucks going to the movies these days — plus most movies suck!

PGlenat
PGlenat on August 16, 2008 at 9:11 am

Now that is sad. It might be any mallplex theatre rather than the once grand NY Capitol theatre. There is absolutely no hint of its original splendor.

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on August 15, 2008 at 9:29 am

Also, was the vast backstage area just sitting vacant after the Cinerama installation?

mrchangeover
mrchangeover on August 15, 2008 at 9:21 am

Warren:

Do you know what happened to the projection equipment from Cinerama and the old upstairs booth? Was it sent to other theatres or did it all become part of the demolition wreckage?

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on August 15, 2008 at 9:10 am

Thanks for that post Warren, but how depressing!

edblank
edblank on May 29, 2008 at 7:54 pm

Leon, A small point, but you may be confusing two films by the title “See No Evil.” The that played at RCMH in 1971 was the GP-rated (now PG) thriller in which Mia Farrow played a blind girl terrorized by a killer. It wasn’t especially good, but it was an inoffensive variation on the Audrey Hepburn blind-lady thriller, “Wait Until Dark,” which had a successful 1967 run at RCMH.

A later, unrelated movie called “See No Evil” was a graphically violent R-rated exploitation film; it did not play the Music Hall.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 29, 2008 at 5:03 pm

As far as I know, Wanda was also the first Daily News critic to give 4 stars to a science fiction film, “The Day the Earth Caught Fire” (1962):

The films that came before it which we now consider sci-fi classics could never get beyond ½ (“The Time Machine”, “The Thing”, “Invasion of the Body Snatchers”) or (“The Day the Earth Stood Still”, “The War of the Worlds”, “Journey to the Center of the Earth”). “Forbidden Planet” got **.

I could be all wrong here: “20,000 Leagues Under the Sea” may have gotten ****. Gotta check up on that at the New York Public Library.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 29, 2008 at 4:33 pm

I always had a special respect for Wanda Hale because she was one of the few New York daily critics who appreciated “2001”.

roxy1927
roxy1927 on May 29, 2008 at 3:50 pm

I thought Hale lasted into the 70’s. I seem to remember her lamenting the state of the Music Hall movies when See No Evil opened there(truly a bottom bill of a drive-in blood fest) and happy that a Christmas movie like 1776 was playing there.
In fact I am truly surprised that they went back to the 30’s.
Wow, what a change they saw in movies and theaters.