Comments from Admiral37

Showing 7 comments

Admiral37
Admiral37 commented about Jarvis Theatre on Feb 14, 2013 at 11:07 am

Was the Rexall Store where the parking lot is now? I AB Dick sold mimeograph and spirit duplicator machines, a good business to be in until Xerox came along.

Admiral37
Admiral37 commented about Forum Theatre on Oct 18, 2012 at 4:41 pm

CSWalczak, you are correct. I found this from the Binghamton Press from March 10, 1960:

Admiral37
Admiral37 commented about Riviera Theatre on Jun 2, 2012 at 12:08 pm

How sad to read about the total decay of a once magnificent theater. I saw many movies there as a kid growing up in the 50’s and 60’s. I’ll always remember that amazing marquee that Comerford Theaters built to connect the Riviera and Strand.

Admiral37
Admiral37 commented about Jarvis Theatre on Dec 22, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Thanks for the memories, generalenigma. I do remember the Jarvis being closed, we had to go to the Crest for the weekend matinees. I even remember going to the Art Theater for a matinee once, which was kind of strange given what the normal fare at The Art was back in the day.

I also remember Rambler City on that site, across from the A&P and Turf Exchange Hotel. It eventually became Arrow Ford, correct? And once that closed, the lot sat empty for awhile, and then Brighton Donuts built on a portion of the lot.

Admiral37
Admiral37 commented about Cinema Endicott on Apr 15, 2011 at 10:46 am

Back to the Cinema Endicott…it was a great little theatre. I remember going there to see “Cleopatra,” “Thunderball” and also “Annie Hall.”

Admiral37
Admiral37 commented about Forum Theatre on Apr 14, 2011 at 10:24 pm

As I recall, the Capri was also the only theater in the Binghamton area that was outfitted for Cinerama. It was a wonderful theater.

I had the opportunity to work on stage crew for the Tri-Cities Opera. Prior to the Capri being remodeled and turned into a performing arts center, the Technical Director of the Opera took several of us on a tour of the old Capri, including the old dressing rooms and a rehearsal room that was below the stage from vaudeville and live performance days. I wish I had pictures to share, it was pretty amazing stuff to see.

Admiral37
Admiral37 commented about Jarvis Theatre on Apr 14, 2011 at 2:53 pm

I have lots of memories of the Jarvis Theater from growing up on the west side of Binghamton. On weekends our parents would drop us off for a Saturday afternoon full of cartoons and short subjects. I remember the admission was like 50 cents for the afternoon.

I don’t recall, was the theater still standing when the Mutual Furniture store on Main Street burned? They’re both on the site of what is now McDonald’s. The empty lot left by the fire and subsequent demolition became a car lot (Arrow Ford?)