Comments from BobbyS

BobbyS commented about Egyptian Theatre on Dec 17, 2014 at 9:51 am

I am looking forward visiting & seeing the Christmas show this saturday night at 7:30pm. 12/20/14. Are you going Scott?

BobbyS commented about Loew's Jersey Theatre on Dec 1, 2014 at 10:28 pm

I was so happy to be in New York around Halloween. I used a family car and drove myself to the Loew’s to see “The Shinning”. What a beautiful theater !! The organ sounded wonderful as he played for an hour for the crowds were huge outside. A night I will never forget. The group that runs the theater are to be hailed for their effort keeping this beautiful theater alive. Congrats to all !!

BobbyS commented about Paradise Theater on Dec 1, 2014 at 10:07 pm

A “For Sale” sign now sits on the site of the Paradise. If you google earth, I believe you will see as I do the lobby marble glazed floors among the grass that has grown with it. The grocery store used the tiles I believe. Enlarge the photo. I recently visited the Avalon Theater in Chicago during an “Open House Chicago” and walked on the floor of the lobby. It did remind me of the Paradise in many ways. It was a great feeling and brought sadness that the Paradise was gone forever. I wonder if the lower lobby is still there intact since the floor remains. Sorta like the Titanic.

BobbyS commented about Patio Theatre on Nov 23, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Wonder who will pay for the heat/ac to be fixed? Ald. Cullerton is retiring I heard so the city’s help may be off the table. Anyway I hope the classic movie people return someday to show their wonderful programs!

BobbyS commented about Senate Theatre on Nov 23, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Thanks for posting Rick. Great to read all the movie ads of the day.

BobbyS commented about Tivoli Theatre on Oct 18, 2014 at 10:10 pm

After touring the Regal today, I drove down Cottage Grove to 63rd st. to see what was left of the Tivoli’s next door neighbors. Looked like a hotel or apartment building just north of the Tivoil about 20 stories high that was burned right through. Windows gone and in a very sad state. Reminded me of Detroit.

BobbyS commented about New Regal Theatre on Oct 18, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Went to the open house today. A stunning theater. Beautiful! Many people showed up with cameras. Theatre well lit. Marquee not on. I could see how the Paradise was influenced by this theatre. Lobby very similar minus the statues of the Paradise and all the detail of course. But the outer lobby & boxoffice & doors brought back many memories of the movie palace on crawford ave. The parking lot next door was not in use. Locked up with grass growing between the concrete. Parking on the side street only. I wish new owners plenty of luck when it re-opens. Neighborhhod is definetly a challenge.

BobbyS commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Oct 7, 2014 at 10:54 am

It is sad to see some of the top chains not even bothering with masking anymore. Curtains are a thing of the past (too bad), but not even a top & bottom black mask when showing a wide screen movie. A letter-box showing should be unacceptable in a movie theatre where we can do that at home. Shame on Regal and others.

BobbyS commented about Carmike Rosemont 18 on Sep 12, 2014 at 10:25 am

I am not surprised. I love passing this theater at night on the tollway. Probably will change the vertical & marquee to Rosemont 18 or maybe CARMIKE, Wonder if they have other theaters in Illinois.

BobbyS commented about Paradise Box Office, 1941 on Sep 8, 2014 at 8:41 pm

One beautiful box office! Theater never got new doors and boxoffice as the Marbro got in 1941. Probably losing money already.

BobbyS commented about Uptown Theatre on Aug 8, 2014 at 10:06 pm

I went to Fred Herme’s basement theater today and they talked about the Uptown theater still standing. We went looking for it. Not only did we find it, we went right in. Stage door wide open. Some work was done like a new circuit breaker and some wiring and new cement stairs in the rear. Amazing a work light was lit on the main floor and sunlight streaming through cracks where one could see the entire auditorium. A Beauty. Orginal drapes hang above the stage. Plenty of plaster on the floor. As we were leaving I noticed a calendar on the stage back wall. It was marked March, 1994. What year did the people that were trying to restore this theater just walk away and not even lock the door? Some of the tools were left behind.

BobbyS commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Jul 15, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Looks pretty good..Is this a plaster mold? Probably used it in many other places inside the Keith’s I suppose.

BobbyS commented about Patio Theatre on Jul 15, 2014 at 9:46 pm

Wow, double the rents !! The stores are barely hanging on now. Just what Chicago needs more empty stores and even less population.

BobbyS commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Jul 13, 2014 at 9:52 pm

To me, not being able to show english speaking films is pure racism. Somehow being white is racism, being anything else is progressive. Yes Thomas Lamb was a white male like everyone else that founded this country. No apology needed !!

BobbyS commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Jul 12, 2014 at 10:45 pm

Don’t they need a temple to pray in or a community center? You mean to say they have no idea that a large space that they pass by every single day is sitting right there. What are they printing in those newspapers?Stories about their homeland?

BobbyS commented about Paradise Theater on Jul 9, 2014 at 9:48 pm

I did it Scott. Posted photo at night. Would have liked to made it larger. Wish someone had a night view of the Marbro..

BobbyS commented about Paradise Theater on Jul 4, 2014 at 8:40 am

I WILL TRY SOON. ITS A GREAT PICTURE. I LOVED WALKING FROM ALL THE PINK NEON & ALL THE WHITE BULBS AT THE MARBRO TO ALL THE ORGANGE NEON & WHITE BULBS AT THE PARADISE..A LITTLE OF LAS VEGAS IN GARFIELD PARK !!

BobbyS commented about Paradise Theater...Chicago on Jul 2, 2014 at 10:27 pm

The Paradise opened for business on Sept 14,1929. I know because my grandparents celebrated their wedding anniversary on that night. They never forgot that evening.

BobbyS commented about Paradise Theater on Jul 2, 2014 at 10:19 pm

Wonderful pictures Scott !!!! I forgot how detailed the box office was. You would think somebody would have saved it for their home or back yard instead of the wrecking ball. I have a few questions. If the recent marquee is pictured and is from 1941, the original vertical from 1929 is still there. What year did the last vertical appear? In the Crawford theater posting, someone thought the year was 1947. If that is true, the Paradise had the original vertical still being used in that year. Means the newer block lettering only lived about 9 years. Is that possible? The Marbro got the new signage also in 1941, but both signs. Where was the free parking lot? I have almost the same photo in color at night. I will try and scan & post it if I can. I wonder how long “2 BIG HITS” remained on the marquee. Was this a cost-cutting measure or maybe the films were not that interesting.

BobbyS commented about Capitol Theatre on Jun 16, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Thanks Robert….Once in awhile I see the ToddAO name in the credits of todays movies. I wonder if it is the same process being used. Even the largest screen in a multiplex, not counting IMAX, is not even close to the Michael Todd’s screen. I can only imagine the thrill of the Capitol’s.

BobbyS commented about Capitol Theatre on Jun 16, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Thanks AlAlvarez. Was this screen as large as the Capitols? I remember seeing “Around the World in 80 Days” at the Michael Todd theater in Chicago in a very large cinerama-type screen. I believe it was super 70mm because there were not the usual 3 panels, but the screen was as large as Cinerama. Also what did Todd-AO mean? Was that a form of Cinemascope only larger? Thanks everyone. Glad everyone is back……..

BobbyS commented about Capitol Theatre on Jun 16, 2014 at 12:03 pm

BobbyS commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Jun 15, 2014 at 9:48 pm

I thought Loew’s got rid of the King’s in the 70’s. Magic Johnson Cinema multiplexes was an arm of the Loews chain to be built in the black urban areas. Was this the same Loews company or a different one with the Loews name? The Keiths keeps staying “alive” doesn’t it? I hate to see it give in to a condo plan.

BobbyS commented about Capitol Theatre on Jun 15, 2014 at 9:40 pm

I have tried to get Warner Cinerama page and only got Warner theater which of course is gone. How did the screen at the Capitol compare to todays IMAX screens?

BobbyS commented about Patio Theatre on Apr 16, 2014 at 10:13 pm

GFeret, I hope you are wrong. But that would explain why the grant never came to be. It is hard to believe the city would not try and keep this corner alive & open for business and not add to the vacant stores. One only has to travel down the street and see what a closed Portage theatre can do to the vacancy rate!