Comments from BobbyS

BobbyS commented about AMC 34th Street 14 on Dec 10, 2017 at 9:42 am

I went to a Dolby Cinema in Skokie, IL to see “Titanic”. What an experience! As close as to the old Todd-AO screens of the 1950’s…I read somewhere where the projectors are laser digital. Wasn’t happy with price. $17.00 senior! But enjoyed the film once again. So bright and sharp and sound out of the world!

BobbyS commented about Granada Theater on Nov 26, 2017 at 8:36 pm

You said it all Scott. Lack of respect for the very beautiful Granada and its long long history on the northside of Chicago. My goodness since 1926 opening, entertaining thousands of people. Loyola should have embraced the building and give it the loving care it deserved.

BobbyS commented about Granada Theater on Nov 24, 2017 at 8:50 am

Two beautiful palaces!! I remember both and went to them both. Seems to me the hole in the center archway window of the Granada was removed because it was the crest of the Marks Bros. It was bought and removed by family members. The writing on the wall for the theater was at hand. The hole was never covered and was a gateway for Chicago pigeons!

BobbyS commented about Granada Theater on Nov 22, 2017 at 10:19 am

So right Scott! I met the new owner also. He had no idea what he was getting into. On a cold night he had to start the heat much earlier in the day to have the theater warm enough for the evening. He couldn’t believe the bill. He was unprepared to say the least what it took to keep the doors open. Of course that is why the chain owners closed them when movies could no longer support the box office returns. Last 1st run movie played the Granada or at least close to the end was “Bow Won Ton-the dog that saved Hollywood”. there were 50 people sitting in the main floor… That tells it all…However an arts center operated by someone who knew what to do with sponsors added would have been the right ticket I believe!

BobbyS commented about Granada Theater on Nov 20, 2017 at 5:37 pm

This beautiful theater should never ever have been torn down! A real beauty in every detail… Short sided from the people in Rogers Pk. This beauty should have been saved as an arts center for the north side.. I blame Loyala for this. It was intact and needed minor improvement. It had history and was a beautiful building! Could have remained as a showplace for the university!!!!

BobbyS commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Nov 20, 2017 at 5:19 pm

So right about the the deco of the ballroom. Isn’t there enough of hotel ballrooms in NY to warrant another ballroom space? This should have remained a movie theater. A special place with a great name that means theater history… Shame on Disney for not going forward with a plan to showcase their productions! This will fail and will be torn down for another high-rise building!!!

BobbyS commented about AMC Norridge 6 on Nov 15, 2017 at 11:32 pm

Now Open……Recliners are the last great hope to improve box office returns which are declining. This property was for sale for quite some time. AMC must have owned it all this time. AMC bought LOEWS which bought M&R who built the theaters in the first place. The “M” was for MARKS whose family had the big beautiful theater palaces in the 1920’s in Chicago. Marbro, Granada, Broadway Strand to name a few.

BobbyS commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Oct 21, 2017 at 8:35 am

Now if this company has any vision they would put their project into the RKO and retain and use the lobby in a grand fashion. Maybe put condos & apartments on top for extra income in case the movie house flops.

BobbyS commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Oct 19, 2017 at 7:52 pm

Probably two screens for these films and the rest of the same from Hollywood that all the other bland chains show every week. Wonder if will have dine-in options and recliners like seems to be the norm today?. I was at one once and never again. People chewing and talking and sending back the food because it wasn’t warm enough and ordering drinks. Would make Marcus Loew shed a tear!

BobbyS commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Oct 18, 2017 at 11:06 am

What is new about this concept? Cinerama & theater seats shaking have all been done before 30+ years ago. I knew there was an audience out there in Flushing. It has to be a foreign company to realize it I guess.

BobbyS commented about Fox Theatre on Sep 5, 2017 at 9:21 pm

The best show ever….Col. Jack was outstanding as well as Dave Wickerham & Justin Lavole…..All terrific artists!!! A show never to be forgotten…A very good attendance too. A beautiful afternoon in a beautiful movie palace!

BobbyS commented about Brooklyn Paramount Theatre on Sep 5, 2017 at 9:13 pm

Thanks Kong1911. I will try and be there.

BobbyS commented about Congress Theater on Sep 5, 2017 at 9:06 pm

I am glad to hear it is going forward.. To me it seems the work has stopped….

BobbyS commented about Capitol Theatre on Aug 21, 2017 at 11:06 am

Saw them at the Chicago Theater in the 1950’s along with their movie showing. Huge crowds! Doubt they ever played neighborhood palaces for so many dropped the stage show policy here in Chicago. Too bad!

BobbyS commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Jul 5, 2017 at 9:40 pm

I’m with you Jeffrey1955!!

BobbyS commented about Brooklyn Paramount Theatre on Jun 29, 2017 at 9:38 pm

When I first toured the theater in the 80’s someone yelled from somewhere over the loudspeaker “Get off the basketball court with those high heels”. I don’t think it was God!! The lobby though kind of bland was still impressive!

BobbyS commented about Fox Theatre on Jun 22, 2017 at 11:46 am

This will be a great show!!! I am bringing 6 people from Chicago. 2 years ago was so good. And don’t forget a Stan & Oliver film too !!

BobbyS commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Jun 12, 2017 at 8:49 pm

I like pipe dreams..The community may not care for it, but could it not remain as a multiplex in some form. Maybe not fully restored, but in a modern type cinema? Movies are still very popular and it is in a dense area from what I see from the airplane above.

BobbyS commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Jun 12, 2017 at 7:45 pm

And the saga goes on & on……I will believe it when the ball & crane comes in. Still say the apartments should be built above the theater which could be restored. People need more than the tv or personal screens for entertainment!

BobbyS commented about AMC Dine-In Rosemont 18 on Apr 26, 2017 at 10:35 pm

I went to one AMC Dine-in theater and it was terrible. People chewing and talking about the food. Waiters coming and going. And the sound was so loud trying to drown it all out!!! A crazy idea I think!

BobbyS commented about AMC 34th Street 14 on Apr 24, 2017 at 10:11 pm

I hope the day will never come that only one chain will be around. Here in Chicago we will have two new chains coming. Cinemex and Cinepolis both Mexican movie theater chains. They are building large eat-in theaters with bars etc. extra large seats, reserved seats and higher prices. This may be the last attempt to get people in before streaming is available for home use. Who knows. I have nothing against China nor Mexico but I would like to think the profits would go to the USA and be used here! Am I old-fashioned or what?

BobbyS commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Apr 24, 2017 at 8:27 pm

I am sure that is true but everyone loves movies…Even if they are dubbed or just sub-titled. The fact that it is in a old theater brought back to life would just make it more interesting. People would go if it were open & running and they want to see the picture not just the building as we all at CT would..

BobbyS commented about Loew's State Theatre on Apr 10, 2017 at 10:15 pm

I would have thought this film would have been booked at the Paramount. 1941 the studios still owned their theaters I believe.

BobbyS commented about AMC 34th Street 14 on Apr 10, 2017 at 9:51 pm

I thought Muvico was a great showplace for movies. They had so many in Florida. Real beauties! The Palace in Boca Raton & the Paradise near Miami and the Parisian in Palm Beach were top notch! When I saw the Palace’s sign changed to Cinemark, I knew they were in trouble with all the buildings built around the same time. Then I saw Carmike name added to the other Muvicos and I knew thats curtains for Muvico! I had never heard of Carmike. I am sorry AMC rules now..

BobbyS commented about AMC 34th Street 14 on Apr 10, 2017 at 10:11 am

I believe the AMC takeover of Carmike was turned down by the courts. What is the history of Carmike?