Comments from BobbyS

BobbyS commented about Kings Theatre on Feb 14, 2015 at 6:55 pm

Thanks Orlando for the great answers. I thought neon came along in the 30’s. Now I know I was wrong. Years and years later LED is the fashion of the times.

BobbyS commented about Loew's 72nd Street Theatre on Feb 14, 2015 at 2:51 am

Does Loews still have the large auditorium decorated in red by the front of the complex? Is there a loews company anymore? Thanks

BobbyS commented about Kings Theatre on Feb 14, 2015 at 12:56 am

Thanks for report on the neon. Did the original marquee have neon do you know? Chasing bulbs(not led)look so much better and so movie palace like.

BobbyS commented about Capitol Theatre on Feb 14, 2015 at 12:45 am

I find it strange that Radio City stopped showing first-run films into the late 70’s. Whenever I visted NY, I always went to RCMH and during the week they had great crowds and not just for the christmas & easter shows. The stage shows were wonderful and plenty of tourists. The huge curtains closing after the film was over and then re-opening for the stage show was a delight!

BobbyS commented about Kings Theatre on Feb 5, 2015 at 9:35 pm

Great pictures! I don’t know how the oringal marquee looked when opened, but this one needs more bulbs on top, not just a faded neon! I bet they didn’t even have neon in 1929.

BobbyS commented about Congress Theater on Jan 16, 2015 at 2:11 am

I wonder how this will affect the Uptown theater project with the Congress, Portage & Patio doing live shows also.

BobbyS commented about Kings Theatre on Jan 2, 2015 at 12:06 am

Sure needs more detail to match the interior. A nice vertical sign wouldn’t hurt either.

BobbyS commented about Egyptian Theatre on Dec 17, 2014 at 12:51 pm

I am looking forward visiting & seeing the Christmas show this saturday night at 7:30pm. 12/20/14. Are you going Scott?

BobbyS commented about Loew's Jersey Theatre on Dec 2, 2014 at 1:28 am

I was so happy to be in New York around Halloween. I used a family car and drove myself to the Loew’s to see “The Shinning”. What a beautiful theater !! The organ sounded wonderful as he played for an hour for the crowds were huge outside. A night I will never forget. The group that runs the theater are to be hailed for their effort keeping this beautiful theater alive. Congrats to all !!

BobbyS commented about Paradise Theater on Dec 2, 2014 at 1:07 am

A “For Sale” sign now sits on the site of the Paradise. If you google earth, I believe you will see as I do the lobby marble glazed floors among the grass that has grown with it. The grocery store used the tiles I believe. Enlarge the photo. I recently visited the Avalon Theater in Chicago during an “Open House Chicago” and walked on the floor of the lobby. It did remind me of the Paradise in many ways. It was a great feeling and brought sadness that the Paradise was gone forever. I wonder if the lower lobby is still there intact since the floor remains. Sorta like the Titanic.

BobbyS commented about Patio Theatre on Nov 23, 2014 at 3:49 pm

Wonder who will pay for the heat/ac to be fixed? Ald. Cullerton is retiring I heard so the city’s help may be off the table. Anyway I hope the classic movie people return someday to show their wonderful programs!

BobbyS commented about Senate Theatre on Nov 23, 2014 at 3:36 pm

Thanks for posting Rick. Great to read all the movie ads of the day.

BobbyS commented about Tivoli Theatre on Oct 19, 2014 at 1:10 am

After touring the Regal today, I drove down Cottage Grove to 63rd st. to see what was left of the Tivoli’s next door neighbors. Looked like a hotel or apartment building just north of the Tivoil about 20 stories high that was burned right through. Windows gone and in a very sad state. Reminded me of Detroit.

BobbyS commented about New Regal Theatre on Oct 19, 2014 at 12:18 am

Went to the open house today. A stunning theater. Beautiful! Many people showed up with cameras. Theatre well lit. Marquee not on. I could see how the Paradise was influenced by this theatre. Lobby very similar minus the statues of the Paradise and all the detail of course. But the outer lobby & boxoffice & doors brought back many memories of the movie palace on crawford ave. The parking lot next door was not in use. Locked up with grass growing between the concrete. Parking on the side street only. I wish new owners plenty of luck when it re-opens. Neighborhhod is definetly a challenge.

BobbyS commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Oct 7, 2014 at 1:54 pm

It is sad to see some of the top chains not even bothering with masking anymore. Curtains are a thing of the past (too bad), but not even a top & bottom black mask when showing a wide screen movie. A letter-box showing should be unacceptable in a movie theatre where we can do that at home. Shame on Regal and others.

BobbyS commented about Carmike Rosemont 18 on Sep 12, 2014 at 1:25 pm

I am not surprised. I love passing this theater at night on the tollway. Probably will change the vertical & marquee to Rosemont 18 or maybe CARMIKE, Wonder if they have other theaters in Illinois.

BobbyS commented about Paradise Box Office, 1941 on Sep 8, 2014 at 11:41 pm

One beautiful box office! Theater never got new doors and boxoffice as the Marbro got in 1941. Probably losing money already.

BobbyS commented about Uptown Theatre on Aug 9, 2014 at 1:06 am

I went to Fred Herme’s basement theater today and they talked about the Uptown theater still standing. We went looking for it. Not only did we find it, we went right in. Stage door wide open. Some work was done like a new circuit breaker and some wiring and new cement stairs in the rear. Amazing a work light was lit on the main floor and sunlight streaming through cracks where one could see the entire auditorium. A Beauty. Orginal drapes hang above the stage. Plenty of plaster on the floor. As we were leaving I noticed a calendar on the stage back wall. It was marked March, 1994. What year did the people that were trying to restore this theater just walk away and not even lock the door? Some of the tools were left behind.

BobbyS commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Jul 16, 2014 at 12:57 am

Looks pretty good..Is this a plaster mold? Probably used it in many other places inside the Keith’s I suppose.

BobbyS commented about Patio Theatre on Jul 16, 2014 at 12:46 am

Wow, double the rents !! The stores are barely hanging on now. Just what Chicago needs more empty stores and even less population.

BobbyS commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Jul 14, 2014 at 12:52 am

To me, not being able to show english speaking films is pure racism. Somehow being white is racism, being anything else is progressive. Yes Thomas Lamb was a white male like everyone else that founded this country. No apology needed !!

BobbyS commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Jul 13, 2014 at 1:45 am

Don’t they need a temple to pray in or a community center? You mean to say they have no idea that a large space that they pass by every single day is sitting right there. What are they printing in those newspapers?Stories about their homeland?

BobbyS commented about Paradise Theater on Jul 10, 2014 at 12:48 am

I did it Scott. Posted photo at night. Would have liked to made it larger. Wish someone had a night view of the Marbro..

BobbyS commented about Paradise Theater on Jul 4, 2014 at 11:40 am

I WILL TRY SOON. ITS A GREAT PICTURE. I LOVED WALKING FROM ALL THE PINK NEON & ALL THE WHITE BULBS AT THE MARBRO TO ALL THE ORGANGE NEON & WHITE BULBS AT THE PARADISE..A LITTLE OF LAS VEGAS IN GARFIELD PARK !!

BobbyS commented about Paradise Theater...Chicago on Jul 3, 2014 at 1:27 am

The Paradise opened for business on Sept 14,1929. I know because my grandparents celebrated their wedding anniversary on that night. They never forgot that evening.