Comments from BobbyS

BobbyS commented about Patio Theatre on Apr 17, 2014 at 7:13 am

GFeret, I hope you are wrong. But that would explain why the grant never came to be. It is hard to believe the city would not try and keep this corner alive & open for business and not add to the vacant stores. One only has to travel down the street and see what a closed Portage theatre can do to the vacancy rate!

BobbyS
BobbyS commented about Frank Sinatra Moves To The Capitol (1947) on Apr 4, 2014 at 6:18 am

Tinseltoes, What we all would do without you? You are a treasure of knowledge and so enjoyable to read.. Many Many Thanks…….

BobbyS commented about Paradise Theater on Apr 2, 2014 at 8:30 pm

Scott,negotiations must have occurred between the two parties both businessmen with plenty of capital behind them and probably egos got in the way. Having the most beautiful movie palace with all the dimes & nickels rolling in was hard to pass up..It is still amazing to me with all the business savvy around no one could see the Great Depression around the corner. The endangered list I gave was Illinois. Just annouhnced yesterday the Chicago endangered top ten came out and the Uptown theatre is back on it…It stated the crumpling condition and the lack of potential investors. Sad..

BobbyS
BobbyS commented about Paradise Theater, Chicago, IL - 1930 on Apr 1, 2014 at 6:03 am

Looks like the marquee is in the flashing mode…The show really did begin at the curb didn’t it?

BobbyS commented about Paradise Theater on Apr 1, 2014 at 5:58 am

Thanks Scott, All this in only 26 years. WOW ! Didn’t anyone realize that the habits of the paying public would change? Didn’t anyone see how a new machine called television could change profits forever? It was a frenzy to see who could build a bigger more ornate movie palace. You would think B&K would have tried to buy out the Marks Bros. before they spent a dime or in this case millions to build the Paradise. I am glad they didn’t for I enjoyed both of them very very much and miss them both.

BobbyS commented about Loew's Kings Theatre on Mar 19, 2014 at 10:29 pm

The beautiful Rialto Theatre in Joliet, Il. does a very brisk business in weddings. I am there once a month on a Sunday and many times the marquee still spells out from the day before. Example: “A Love Story” starring the names of the couple who just wed. The theatre has many packages that include catering, flowers etc. all from local Joliet businesses. Some use the lobby alone, many use both lobby & stage & Barton organ. They do reach out and lobby the theater rental. You are right Lifes Too Short, management has to be creative & pro-active in these times for a successful operation.

BobbyS
BobbyS commented about Judy Garland Headlining Vaudeville Bill (1938) on Mar 19, 2014 at 8:03 am

How great that must have been! Coming out of one great movie house and into another one…

BobbyS
BobbyS commented about "Bringing Happiness To Millions" (August, 1958) on Mar 19, 2014 at 7:50 am

Love the marquee on the State…The last one was so drab and uninteresting and darn right ugly !

BobbyS commented about Loew's Kings Theatre on Mar 16, 2014 at 3:09 am

You are so right Life’s Too Short. Stadium seating is really something. That would leave me to believe showing films might be in the future. The Uptown Theatre in Chicago which is trying to find funding to re-open is reported to have said their intenion is to remove all seats from the first floor and make it a dance club/theatre. The King’s sounds like the people in charge know what they are doing…I too hope the community is behind this beautiful place and will support it over the years…

BobbyS commented about Paradise Theater on Mar 13, 2014 at 6:15 pm

A few days ago the Chicago Tribune announced the 5 buildings that were endangered. It included the Jeffery theatre and the Guyon hotel. It stated the owner also owned the Paradise Ballroom. I bet he also owned the land that the Paradise Theatre was built on. Wasn’t B&K the third group that built the Paradise? They must have eventually bought the land because they sold it or maybe leased it to the ill-fated grocery store that replaced the beautiful building.

BobbyS commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Feb 14, 2014 at 9:14 am

I hope the snowstorm didn’t keep the crowds away. Sounds like a great bill. Wish I lived in NY (at times). Wonder how Loews Kings is doing?

BobbyS commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Dec 19, 2013 at 11:52 pm

Thanks for the update guys…I wonder if it will get off the ground this time. The “old gal” won’t give up"..

BobbyS commented about Fox Theatre on Dec 8, 2013 at 11:37 pm

Scott, missed you by two days. I took Amtrak down there to see “A Christmas Carol”. What a Theater !! The staff member gave us over an hour tour. The auditorium was closed all summer for a complete cleaning and touch-up. It looked absolutely gorgeous…You are so right, one has to be there in person to see this beauty. What a lobby entrance with the organ playing as you entered. First time there and will return. This is what a movie palace is all about. A nice photo tribute to Stan Kahn. This palace is lovingly taken care of.

BobbyS commented about Crawford Theater on Nov 15, 2013 at 5:52 pm

In so many cities across the states, plenty of these buildings stayed around for many years and found new uses. The west side theatres went down almost 60 years ago. When you think of Brooklyn, New Jersey and the Loews Theatres there all seeing new life. Chicago’s Uptown awaiting; Joliet & Aurora came to life; Rockford on the rise. This was a major destination in Chicago. I have no idea how property taxes might have influenced the decision to wreck. Couldn’t the city hold the deed like the King’s in NY? A mega church maybe? There is still life I would imagine around there. Probably a Starbucks or two. The Granada should have been saved as a jewel performance art centre. The time was right.

BobbyS commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Nov 15, 2013 at 5:32 pm

How do these people stay out of jail? Imagine taking on the Keith’s and the Keith’s wins.

BobbyS commented about Crawford Theater on Nov 14, 2013 at 6:20 am

Too bad the Marbro & Paradise Theaters were not just boarded up and still there waiting for a new generation to discover the wonders of those buildings. But I imagine B&K would be liable for break-ins & other things that might have gone on inside.

BobbyS commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Nov 14, 2013 at 6:04 am

You would think so. The Indian culture is very ornate as well as the Chinese. They both show films in major cities, but I think the size of the RKO was against even their budgets. A cultural center is another matter. It is tailor made for that and should have been persuade.

BobbyS commented about Loew's Kings Theatre on Nov 13, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Thanks for the wonderful photos. It is really happening. What a thrill it will be to see it when it comes back to life. Wish all the grand movie palaces had the same dedication.

BobbyS commented about Midway Theatre on Nov 13, 2013 at 6:16 pm

If the Midway was used as a vaudeville theater in 1918 & beyond I could not find a stagehouse. I thought all theaters that used live shows had to have a stagehouse. Even some of the suburban theaters that had shallow stages and showed movies had a fly system.

BobbyS commented about Crawford Theater on Nov 13, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Hi Scott..I Thought of you when I passed the MIDWAY theater in Rockford last week. What a facade! I passsed the Guyon a year ago and it was boarded up I remember. It seemed like something was happening and it just stopped. Maybe grants just dried up who knows. This was “our little world” way back in the 50’s. Madison/Crawford corner. It sure made an impression on alot of people for we still remember the Crawford, Paradise and Marbro with great fondness.

BobbyS commented about Auditorium Side View (1926) on Nov 12, 2013 at 7:28 am

What a beauty!!

BobbyS commented about Ambassador Theatre on Nov 12, 2013 at 7:26 am

I am going to the FOX in December to see a show and now will seek out thoses two chandeliers at the Des Peres Cinema. Thanks. Two bad an opera company or other group could not rescue this theater. These beautiful buildings will never be built again.

BobbyS commented about Midway Theatre on Nov 5, 2013 at 9:08 am

I saw “Hello Dolly” last week at the beautiful Coronado. The manager told me the TIMES & MIDWAY theatres will be re-opened. Serious people with serious moneybags are involed…I agree with your comment as I passed the MIDWAY myself.

BobbyS commented about Times Theatre on Nov 5, 2013 at 8:50 am

I saw “Hello Dolly” last week at the beautiful Coronado. The manager told me the TIMES theater is in the process of re-opening. Many people inspecting & photographing every corner. I was amazed the marquee is intact after all these years closed. Also he told me the MIDWAY will re-open as different theater groups are interested and have the money to do it. I passed it by and couldn’t see if the roof was still there. Still looks good.

BobbyS commented about Crawford Theater on Nov 5, 2013 at 8:21 am

I think the sign reads DANCE. The ballroom was still going strong I presume. I also think it was called Paradise but not sure. Great photo of a great street!