Comments from BobbyS

BobbyS commented about Carmike Rosemont 18 on Sep 12, 2014 at 1:25 pm

I am not surprised. I love passing this theater at night on the tollway. Probably will change the vertical & marquee to Rosemont 18 or maybe CARMIKE, Wonder if they have other theaters in Illinois.

BobbyS commented about Paradise Box Office, 1941 on Sep 8, 2014 at 11:41 pm

One beautiful box office! Theater never got new doors and boxoffice as the Marbro got in 1941. Probably losing money already.

BobbyS
BobbyS commented about Decaying interior photographed by Julia Solis on Aug 9, 2014 at 1:24 am

Tinseltoes, I was standing in the middle of this theater today. Walked right in. Stage door wide opened. No rats! A working light on a standing pole brightly shinning. Seems new wiring was added and old sinks taken out and tools everywhere…..What gives?

BobbyS commented about Uptown Theatre on Aug 9, 2014 at 1:06 am

I went to Fred Herme’s basement theater today and they talked about the Uptown theater still standing. We went looking for it. Not only did we find it, we went right in. Stage door wide open. Some work was done like a new circuit breaker and some wiring and new cement stairs in the rear. Amazing a work light was lit on the main floor and sunlight streaming through cracks where one could see the entire auditorium. A Beauty. Orginal drapes hang above the stage. Plenty of plaster on the floor. As we were leaving I noticed a calendar on the stage back wall. It was marked March, 1994. What year did the people that were trying to restore this theater just walk away and not even lock the door? Some of the tools were left behind.

BobbyS commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Jul 16, 2014 at 12:57 am

Looks pretty good..Is this a plaster mold? Probably used it in many other places inside the Keith’s I suppose.

BobbyS commented about Patio Theatre on Jul 16, 2014 at 12:46 am

Wow, double the rents !! The stores are barely hanging on now. Just what Chicago needs more empty stores and even less population.

BobbyS commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Jul 14, 2014 at 12:52 am

To me, not being able to show english speaking films is pure racism. Somehow being white is racism, being anything else is progressive. Yes Thomas Lamb was a white male like everyone else that founded this country. No apology needed !!

BobbyS commented about The Morning After (1963) on Jul 13, 2014 at 2:05 am

Tinseltoes, your knowledge is amazing! I can’t imagine the show went on the next day. The whole USA was in mourning if I recall. Even restaurants closed friday night in Chicago and people were “glued” to the tv tube. A sad day.

BobbyS commented about The Morning After (1963) on Jul 13, 2014 at 2:03 am

BobbyS commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Jul 13, 2014 at 1:45 am

Don’t they need a temple to pray in or a community center? You mean to say they have no idea that a large space that they pass by every single day is sitting right there. What are they printing in those newspapers?Stories about their homeland?

BobbyS commented about Atmospheric Auditorium (1928) on Jul 10, 2014 at 1:06 am

I could not believe it was closing and would forever be gone. I still can recall the feeling of walking inside and seeing the massive ornamentations both in the lobby and the auditorium. I was heatbroken when I passed by and saw the marquee blank the day after it closed. For a child, this was Paradise!

BobbyS commented about Paradise Theater on Jul 10, 2014 at 12:48 am

I did it Scott. Posted photo at night. Would have liked to made it larger. Wish someone had a night view of the Marbro..

BobbyS commented about Paradise Theater on Jul 4, 2014 at 11:40 am

I WILL TRY SOON. ITS A GREAT PICTURE. I LOVED WALKING FROM ALL THE PINK NEON & ALL THE WHITE BULBS AT THE MARBRO TO ALL THE ORGANGE NEON & WHITE BULBS AT THE PARADISE..A LITTLE OF LAS VEGAS IN GARFIELD PARK !!

BobbyS commented about Paradise Theater...Chicago on Jul 3, 2014 at 1:27 am

The Paradise opened for business on Sept 14,1929. I know because my grandparents celebrated their wedding anniversary on that night. They never forgot that evening.

BobbyS commented about Paradise Theater on Jul 3, 2014 at 1:19 am

Wonderful pictures Scott !!!! I forgot how detailed the box office was. You would think somebody would have saved it for their home or back yard instead of the wrecking ball. I have a few questions. If the recent marquee is pictured and is from 1941, the original vertical from 1929 is still there. What year did the last vertical appear? In the Crawford theater posting, someone thought the year was 1947. If that is true, the Paradise had the original vertical still being used in that year. Means the newer block lettering only lived about 9 years. Is that possible? The Marbro got the new signage also in 1941, but both signs. Where was the free parking lot? I have almost the same photo in color at night. I will try and scan & post it if I can. I wonder how long “2 BIG HITS” remained on the marquee. Was this a cost-cutting measure or maybe the films were not that interesting.

BobbyS commented about Capitol Theatre on Jun 16, 2014 at 3:40 pm

Thanks Robert….Once in awhile I see the ToddAO name in the credits of todays movies. I wonder if it is the same process being used. Even the largest screen in a multiplex, not counting IMAX, is not even close to the Michael Todd’s screen. I can only imagine the thrill of the Capitol’s.

BobbyS commented about Capitol Theatre on Jun 16, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Thanks AlAlvarez. Was this screen as large as the Capitols? I remember seeing “Around the World in 80 Days” at the Michael Todd theater in Chicago in a very large cinerama-type screen. I believe it was super 70mm because there were not the usual 3 panels, but the screen was as large as Cinerama. Also what did Todd-AO mean? Was that a form of Cinemascope only larger? Thanks everyone. Glad everyone is back……..

BobbyS commented about Capitol Theatre on Jun 16, 2014 at 3:03 pm

BobbyS commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Jun 16, 2014 at 12:48 am

I thought Loew’s got rid of the King’s in the 70’s. Magic Johnson Cinema multiplexes was an arm of the Loews chain to be built in the black urban areas. Was this the same Loews company or a different one with the Loews name? The Keiths keeps staying “alive” doesn’t it? I hate to see it give in to a condo plan.

BobbyS commented about Capitol Theatre on Jun 16, 2014 at 12:40 am

I have tried to get Warner Cinerama page and only got Warner theater which of course is gone. How did the screen at the Capitol compare to todays IMAX screens?

BobbyS commented about Patio Theatre on Apr 17, 2014 at 1:13 am

GFeret, I hope you are wrong. But that would explain why the grant never came to be. It is hard to believe the city would not try and keep this corner alive & open for business and not add to the vacant stores. One only has to travel down the street and see what a closed Portage theatre can do to the vacancy rate!

BobbyS
BobbyS commented about Frank Sinatra Moves To The Capitol (1947) on Apr 4, 2014 at 12:18 am

Tinseltoes, What we all would do without you? You are a treasure of knowledge and so enjoyable to read.. Many Many Thanks…….

BobbyS commented about Paradise Theater on Apr 2, 2014 at 2:30 pm

Scott,negotiations must have occurred between the two parties both businessmen with plenty of capital behind them and probably egos got in the way. Having the most beautiful movie palace with all the dimes & nickels rolling in was hard to pass up..It is still amazing to me with all the business savvy around no one could see the Great Depression around the corner. The endangered list I gave was Illinois. Just annouhnced yesterday the Chicago endangered top ten came out and the Uptown theatre is back on it…It stated the crumpling condition and the lack of potential investors. Sad..

BobbyS
BobbyS commented about Paradise Theater, Chicago, IL - 1930 on Apr 1, 2014 at 12:03 am

Looks like the marquee is in the flashing mode…The show really did begin at the curb didn’t it?

BobbyS commented about Paradise Theater on Mar 31, 2014 at 11:58 pm

Thanks Scott, All this in only 26 years. WOW ! Didn’t anyone realize that the habits of the paying public would change? Didn’t anyone see how a new machine called television could change profits forever? It was a frenzy to see who could build a bigger more ornate movie palace. You would think B&K would have tried to buy out the Marks Bros. before they spent a dime or in this case millions to build the Paradise. I am glad they didn’t for I enjoyed both of them very very much and miss them both.