Comments from chuckkahn

Showing 10 comments

chuckkahn commented about Scotiabank Theatre Toronto on Feb 11, 2016 at 12:40 pm

I was in Scotiabank cinema #4 for The Great Digital Film Festival 5:30pm screening of “Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan” and during the scene where Bones gifts Romulan ale to Kirk I could hear the music from the Cineplex animated short “Lily & the Snowman” leaking through the walls from the AVX cinema next door. I guess because the song was a cover of the Genesis song “Follow You Follow Me”, it was on topic and this was acceptable — not. (Because Genesis is also the name of secret project Khan steals in the movie.)

chuckkahn commented about York Theatres 1 & 2 on Jan 18, 2016 at 3:21 pm

Memorable screenings I attended here include 70mm presentations of Ghostbusters, Amadeus and the restored Lawrence of Arabia, Spartacus and My Fair Lady as well as 35mm presentations of The Last Temptation of Christ and Silverado as their first THX presentation and Jurassic Park as their first DTS presentation. I remember Warren Beatty complementing the York in a tv interview after he held an Ishtar screening there back in 1987.

Also saw the Special Editions of Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back upstairs and Return of the Jedi downstairs. I think I saw myself in the lineup for Empire Strikes Back on CFTO news. I wonder if that video is online anywhere?

chuckkahn commented about University Theatre on Jan 6, 2016 at 1:55 pm

GilG, this is really disturbing that our libraries are being used to disseminate inaccurate information. What was your count for the number of errors in Mr. Taylor’s book?

chuckkahn commented about University Theatre on Jan 6, 2016 at 11:42 am

To the taunting jerryross: Why should Mr. Taylor get a break for putting out a book full of errors? If there is a more suitable medium for addressing the errors in Mr. Taylor’s book, please point the way. Otherwise, let’s applaud GiLG’s efforts at documenting them.

chuckkahn commented about University Theatre on Jan 5, 2016 at 4:08 pm

I don’t think you’re being too hard on Doug Taylor’s book. Mistakes are mistakes, and it’s frustrating to see inaccuracies serve as ingredients in something people might use as an information resource. I wonder how many libraries are putting this book on their shelves for the consumption of poor unwitting readers. Mr. Taylor should have checked this website for clippings such as this ad for Lawrence of Arabia that lists the Carlton as the theatre:

chuckkahn commented about Odeon Hyland on Jul 3, 2015 at 4:55 pm

This is where I saw “Back to the Future” 30 years ago today. Movie exceeded my expectations.

chuckkahn commented about Scotiabank Theatre Toronto on Jan 13, 2013 at 9:29 am

This article reports that Scotiabank has 4K projection in Cinema 2 (Christie Series 2 4K 3-Chip DLP (HFR Compatible)):—the-top-10-movie-seats-in-toronto

chuckkahn commented about Cineplex Cinemas Winston Churchill 24 on Dec 23, 2011 at 4:53 pm

The “Sony Digital Cinema 4K Theatre Locator” identifies this as a 4K cinema. I phoned and asked if “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo” was playing 4K here, but the employee who answered didn’t seem clear on what 4K was and gave a vague answer about which showtimes were digital and which were film. Before travelling 34.5 km to this theatre, is there a more definitive way to confirm that this movie is playing 4K here?

chuckkahn commented about University Theatre on Jan 6, 2010 at 10:22 pm

I’ve started a list (working backwards) of movies that played here at View link

chuckkahn commented about University Theatre on Nov 7, 2009 at 6:14 pm

“Strange Brew” (1983) featured the University Theatre quite prominently hosting the premiere of Bob & Doug’s “Mutants of 2051 A.D.”