100 Bloor Street West,
6 people favorited this theater
Opened on March 25, 1949, the University Theatre was one of the first movie theaters in North America to not only feature 70mm projection, but also a THX Dolby Surround Sound system. It was a good-sized theater with a balcony so large that there was a snack bar on it as well as on the main floor.
It was a very popular theater for its entire run and screened several significant premieres, including "Apocalypse Now" and a special double bill of "Star Wars" and "The Empire Strikes Back" with a rare preview for the trailer of "Return of the Jedi" before it came out and was known as "Revenge of the Jedi."
Despite a petition of over 25,000 people, it was closed when the property value became too great to continue operating as a theater. The University Theatre was demolished in 1986 and, today, only its rebuilt facade remains, fronting a newly constructed retail structure.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater