Showing 10 comments
The Strand Theatre welcomed its 30,000th patron in July 2011. The Strand has enjoyed 6 sold out performances in the 2011 season. Currently the theatre has 377 permanent seats with a maximum capacity of 450. Check us out at www.strand-theatre-shelbyville.org
The Dream Theatre had a Louisville Pipe Organ Company “Uniphone” organ. It was (and still is) 5 ranks. Tibia 16-2, Diapason 8-4, VDO 8-4, Oboe Horn 8 and Vox Humana 8-4. It has been kept intact and is still playing. It is in a private residence in Shelbyville, Indiana. It is one of only 2 remaining horseshoe consoles built by LPO.
The Strand Theatre, which re-opened as a performing arts center in January 2008, welcomed its 20,000th patron on August 5, 2010.
The Strand finished its second season as a performing arts center in 2009. The final 2009 totals were 148 performances with an audience attendance over 8000. The Strand is a 100% volunteer run venue. We have 377 seats and in 2009 once again started to show films on a limited basis. Please visit the Strand’s web site at www.strand-theatre-shelbyville.org
The Strand finished its first season as a performing arts center in 2008. The theatre is owned and operated by the not-for-profit Strand Theatre of Shelbyville, Inc. The final 2008 totals were 59 performances with an audience attendance of over 7700. Many great articles and pictures can be found at the theatre’s web site www.strand-theatre-shelbyville.org The Strand is proud that it has been acquired, renovated and re-opened WITHOUT having to solicit funds from the community!
The Strand has hosted over 3000 audience members as a performing arts center since January 2008. The theatre will soon start a classic film series. The website for the theatre is:
The Strand re-opened on January 17, 2008. The completely re-modeled theatre hosted a production of “Nunsense” by the Shelby County Players. The Strand has 393 permanent seats with seating for another 84 under the balcony. On Saturday January 19, 2008 the Strand sold out for the first time since 1957.
The 3 manual Wurlitzer console from the Tilyou Theatre has been completely restored including its pneumatic combination action. It is currently in a private home in Indiana and controls 24 ranks of pipes. The console was restored by Carlton Smith Pipe Organ Restorations of Indianapolis. On a side note, the Orchestral Oboe rank in the organ was originally from the Tilyou as well.
The Oriental Theatre did not have a Marr & Colton organ. It had an organ built by the Louisville Pipe Organ Company. The organ was Opus 512 built in 1926. The organ consists of 5 ranks (sets) of pipes. It has:
Tibia Clausa 97 Note
Diapason 73 Note
Cello 73 Note
Oboe Horn 61 Note
Vox Humana 61 Note
It has 2 percussions:
Metal Harp 49 Note
Chimes 20 Note
Originally it had traps (drums etc.). All pipework speaks on 5" wind. The organ was removed from the theatre and reinstalled in Calvary Lutheran Church at 5560 Shelby Street, Indianapolis in 1942. In 1964 the church was sold and renamed Tallwood Chapel. Pastor Don Foley held their first service in Tallwood Chapel December 1964. Tallwood Chapel used the organ until it fell into disrepair and became unplayable in the 1970’s.
The organ was purchased in 2005 by David M. Finkel of Shelbyville Indiana for inclusion in the Louisville “Uniphone” organ destine for the Strand Theatre in Shelbyville. The organ was made playable. A final service and archival recording was made in April 2006.
The organ will remain in storage until rebuilt and installed as part of the organ in the Strand Theatre in Shelbyville, Indiana.