215 South Harrison Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Contruction on this theatre was begun in August, 1915. It opened for movies in March, 1916 as the Strand Theatre with 800 seats. William C. Meloy was the owner. Mr. Meloy passed away in 1938. His sons ran it until 1951 when they sold it to the Switow Brothers of Louisville, KY.
About 1973, the theatre changed hands again. By this time, the Switows had changed the name to Cinema. This time the DeWitt family became the owners. Around 1989, in response to ever increasing competition from the multiplexes of nearby Indianapolis, the Cinema had two more screens added, thus becoming Cinema 3. In May of 2004, competition from the multiplexes, including a new local ten- screen multiplex, the Dewitt family reluctantly closed the doors.
In August of that same year the theatre was purchased by Mainstreet Shelbyville to save the theatre. The name was changed back to Strand Theatre. Ownership was again transferred in November, 2006 to the Strand Theatre of Shelbyville Inc., a new non-profit organization with the sole mission of preserving and operating the Strand. Renovation began to provide a building for the performing arts. It re-opened in January 2008.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater