Comments from EdwardD

Showing 9 comments

EdwardD
EdwardD commented about Country Squire Theatre on Nov 15, 2008 at 8:18 pm

Today, I drove by where the Country Squire previously stood and sadly it’s been demolished. While the inside of the theatre wasn’t that special the outside had charm.

EdwardD
EdwardD commented about Fox Theatre on Oct 11, 2008 at 10:17 am

I went to college in Turlock and went here in the 70’s. It was operating as a theater at least between 1970 and 1972.

EdwardD
EdwardD commented about Harmon Drive-In on Sep 25, 2007 at 8:16 pm

The drive in was known as the Starlite Drive-In in the late fifties and early sixties.

EdwardD
EdwardD commented about Strand Theatre on Aug 8, 2007 at 6:53 pm

I went to this theater while visiting family in this area. Two of the movies I saw here were A Hard Day’s Night and a reissue of Peter Pan. The only thing I remember was that there wasn’t a manned snack bar only vending machines.

I know at one time Bangor had another theater, the Music Hall, since the marquee was still up in the 60’s. But it was never open during any of my visits.

EdwardD
EdwardD commented about Del Rio Theater on Oct 19, 2006 at 2:53 pm

I went to the Del Rio in the early 70’s. I saw a double feature, John and Mary and Beyond the Valley of the Dolls. The admission price was low but you could hear the nearby bowling alley during the movie.

EdwardD
EdwardD commented about Cinema 22 on Mar 19, 2006 at 5:21 pm

I was in New York in 1986. At that time it was called Cinema 22 and was showing Top Gun.

EdwardD
EdwardD commented about Denver Theatre on Mar 15, 2006 at 5:59 pm

In 1966 when National General built the Century 21 Theatre, they sold the Denver. They were only allowed to have 4 first-run theatres in the Denver area. (They kept the Centre, the Aladdin, and the Esquire as well as the then new Century 21.) I don’t remember who took over the Denver but they twinned it. It was still open in 1972. I saw several movies there that year, Fat City and Bluebeard were among them. I’m not sure what year it closed.

EdwardD
EdwardD commented about Bay Theatre on Feb 22, 2006 at 8:01 pm

The Bay Theatre opened in 1942. It has been remodeled and updated recently. The nearest other theatres to Morro Bay are 13 miles away so it’s managed to remain open.

EdwardD
EdwardD commented about Centre Theatre on Feb 22, 2006 at 4:19 pm

I saw many first-run movies at the Centre. Those Magnificient Men, The Fortune Cookie, Deliverance and Poseidon Adventure were among them. In the 60’s and early 70’s the theatre was operated by Fox Intermountain (National General) Theatres. The experience of seeing a movie here was always enjoyable.