Comments from haineshisway

haineshisway commented about Four Star Theatre on Jun 12, 2014 at 7:00 pm

At the END it couldn’t function as a first-run house. It was a first-run house for decades.

haineshisway commented about Fox Stadium Theatre on Sep 8, 2013 at 7:23 am

It closed sometime in 1960. I was there at the final show.

haineshisway commented about Airport Theatre on Mar 4, 2011 at 2:49 pm

That’s it.

haineshisway commented about Regency Village Theatre on Dec 11, 2010 at 7:57 pm

There is quite a wonderful audience at the DGA screenings, dctrig – they are respectful, do not use cell phones, do not munch nachos, and do not chatter and think they’re home watching TV. They are responsive and sort of everything the movie-going audience was when I was growing up. The End.

haineshisway commented about Regency Village Theatre on Nov 25, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Um, I don’t have to be scientific to see what’s going on around me. And you don’t have to be a typical Internet pedantic twit – if you agree to disagree, leave it at that and move along. Eat some turkey. Have a cookie. Go to the cineplex and enjoy the ads, the texting, and the helpful cell phone illumination.

haineshisway commented about Regency Village Theatre on Nov 25, 2010 at 5:32 am

Here’s my research: Eyes. Ears. Brain. I don’t really need anything else. So, we can agree to disagree and I’m glad that the horrid behavior is either blind to you or not an annoyance. When I sit in a theater lit by cell phones I don’t need to be there.

haineshisway commented about Regency Village Theatre on Nov 25, 2010 at 5:20 am

Sorry, disagree completely – adults, and I mean young adults and older adults stopped going to theaters BECAUSE of the idiots and their nachos and talking and horrid behavior – then came cell phones and other devices and that was it for anyone who has respect for the moviegoing experience. I simply refuse to go to theaters other than seeing screenings at the DGA (where I’m a member) – where there are strict rules about no electronic devices used. I would love to go to the Village to see something, but not with a bunch of cretins who can’t go five minutes without checking Facebook. And I say that at my current age and I would have said it at nineteen.

haineshisway commented about Regency Village Theatre on Apr 26, 2010 at 7:19 pm

Nice to hear about the curtain being closed, my single biggest annoyance on the few occasions where I actually go to a theater anymore.

haineshisway commented about Regency Village Theatre on Mar 3, 2010 at 10:48 pm

No, scroll up and you will see that their current attraction is on film.

haineshisway commented about Regency Village Theatre on Feb 19, 2010 at 7:56 pm

That is pure conjecture on your part. Perhaps Mr. Scorsese asked for film, since he is a purist.

haineshisway
haineshisway commented about "MAD, MAD WORLD" screening at Cinerama Dome on Jan 8, 2010 at 4:14 am

“Before passing judgement on the cuts made to IMMMMW, it would be fitting to figure out how much of them were approved by Stanley Kramer. I understand that he cut the film from 210 to around 196 minutes.”

Since no one bothers to ever clarify this sort of misinformation, I’m happy to. This 210 minute version never played anywhere. It was not the film as released in any engagement, therefore is completely irrelevant to any discussion. It was a version he showed to some friends, after which he cut the film not to 196 minutes, but to approximately 192 minutes, and that 192 minute running time included the overture, intermission police calls, entr'acte and exit music. The actual running time of the film proper at that point was 177 minutes if you removed all but the film itself. At the end of the day, if one does the math with what was cut during the road show engagement and then what was further cut for general release, it really comes out to about twenty-four minutes of actual film that was cut.

haineshisway commented about Regency Village Theatre on Nov 16, 2009 at 6:32 am

Actually, Gary, you did not see the first “Smellorama” (sic) film at the Village. The competing “smell” films were Behind The Great Wall in AromaRama, which played for a week or two at the Four Star and then disappeared forever, and the real smell film, Scent Of Mystery in Smell-O-Vision, which played only one engagement in Los Angeles at the Ritz Theater on Wilshire. It died a quick death and has never been seen again other than in a smell free cut down version called Holiday In Spain that played a handful of engagements in Cinerama (it was reformatted for that process).

I am certain, however, that you saw some film that smelled at the Village, but not one in any smell process.

haineshisway commented about Four Star Theatre on Aug 4, 2009 at 6:56 am

Great Behind The Great Wall ad – I was, of course, there and saw and smelled the film. And a few weeks later I was at the Ritz seeing and smelling Scent of Mystery.

haineshisway commented about Airport Theatre on Aug 4, 2009 at 6:42 am

I lived right off Roscoe near Sepulveda, and went to the Airport several times in the early 1970s. I remember seeing a reissue of On Her Majesty’s Secret Service there. Nice little nabe.

haineshisway commented about Lido Theatre on Mar 8, 2009 at 5:50 pm

Different Leo. BTW, in case it hasn’t been answered, the Lido was not on the corner of La Cienega and Pico. On the northwest corner was and is a Bank Of America. There were then a couple of storefronts heading west on Pico, and then the Lido – the storefronts AND the Lido became the BofA parking lot.

haineshisway commented about El Capitan Theatre on Oct 8, 2008 at 12:17 am

I also saw two Doctors there – Dr. Zhivago and Doctor Dolittle.

haineshisway commented about El Capitan Theatre on Oct 7, 2008 at 11:48 pm

Here’s something that’s pertinent and maybe fun: What are your most favorite memories of attending movies at the Paramount in Hollywood? What are your favorite films you saw there? I’ll start –

Pardners – not so good as a film, but as a kid I loved it, plus I really loved the Paramount – that was my first visit there and I could not believe they had two sets of curtains – the first set went UP while the second set parted. That’s showmanship. And after the film I had my first C.C. Brown’s experience, one repeated hundreds of times right up until the day they closed (I was at their final private party).

The Music Man – saw it opening day, went back with my parents opening night – Pert Kelton was there. Thrilling film, and incredible stereo sound

Bye Bye Birdie – saw it about five times at the Paramount

haineshisway commented about El Capitan Theatre on Oct 7, 2008 at 11:17 pm

Boys, this isn’t a chat board – e-mail is a wonderful thing. And so is the Paramount/El Capitan, which is what this is supposed to be about.

haineshisway commented about Vogue Theatre on Oct 6, 2008 at 4:45 am

Heartbreaking.

haineshisway commented about Vogue Theatre on Sep 28, 2008 at 11:52 pm

Sorry, I meant the Paramount, not the Hollywood, but I think you knew that when I mentioned Disney.

haineshisway commented about Vogue Theatre on Sep 28, 2008 at 10:29 pm

It’s not heavy handed, and in six months come back here and tell me how many are thriving. I can tell you the answer will be 0. The trendy never stay in one place, one area, and the cretins who are pandering to the young cretins who populate these awful places never learn this lesson. Apparently, the club that was going into the Fox DID learn it, but probably after spending a lot of money. Tell Disney how a single screen venue isn’t feasible – had they not bought the Hollywood, I wonder if THAT would be a club right now, or some retail store, or just have been torn down. I know it’s bigger, but you put the right films in those houses and they’d do just fine. The Pacific’s (formerly Warners Cinerama) one of the most beautiful theaters ever, sits there being used as a church. It makes me want to vomit on the ground. If Disney can do what they did with the El Capitan, why can’t Warners or another studio do the same for the Pacific’s? And frankly, if the Hollywood and the Vogue are both going to be disemboweled beyond recognition, tear ‘em down and do something new.

haineshisway commented about Vogue Theatre on Sep 28, 2008 at 9:37 pm

Let me get this straight – that sickening club PULLED OUT and now it’s going to be a store? Unbelievable. I’m sure if you scroll up you’ll see my reactions to the Vogue becoming a club – I said the Hollywood club trend would be dead by the time these idiots got around to this, and it’s proven to be the case – they’re all dying, just sooner than I thought.

haineshisway commented about Regency Bruin Theatre on Sep 24, 2008 at 7:30 pm