This aerial view was taken in May 1929. The ‘Cinema’ looks not reach to Long Lane; there seems to be a row of cottages in front of it. There are windows in the Castlehaw Lane side of the building, which are now gone; but their counterparts are still there (2016) on the other side (though not apparent inside the bookshop).
On the 1907 6-inch OS map the structure is a ‘Public Hall’; and just a ‘Hall’ on the 1912. This would suggest a flat-floored venue which was put to use (on Thursdays and Saturdays, initially) as a cinema.
The OS maps confirm the structure on Castlehaw Lane is the gas works.
No one has favorited this photo yet