Comments from Cinedelphia

Cinedelphia
Cinedelphia commented about UA King of Prussia Stadium 16 and IMAX on Aug 14, 2017 at 7:36 pm

Only been in the IMAX for Dunkirk and it was a very good experience. Can’t comment on the masking issue. The last time I was at UA Oxford Valley and UA Grant Plaza (within the last 3-6 months) they were still using the masking at both complexes. In fact, prior to the 2.39 to 1 films begin they pulled back the side masking. Kind of reminded me of when there were curtains. I always loved the effect of the side masking being retracted…it was a nice effect. The current trend of no masking IMO, is just a tacky cost saving measure. I wish some film makers and studios would take a stand with the theater chains. It just cheapens the whole experience. If I want the black bars I can stay home and watch my 55" Sony.

Cinedelphia
Cinedelphia commented about AMC Neshaminy 24 Theatres on Jul 25, 2017 at 11:56 am

Was very impressed with the Dolby Cinema. The Atmos sound is very immersive and the dual 4k laser projection system achieves levels of detail, clarity and color contrast that gets awfully close to 70mm film. The other nice feature of the Dolby Cinema at the Neshaminy is they kept the 60' wide 2.39 to 1 ratio screen unlike other Dolby Cinema conversions that utilize a 1.85 to 1 screen that displays the ‘scope ratio with bars at the top and bottom. I couldn’t tell if the screen had movable side masking as both films I’ve seen there were 2.39 to 1. The new recliners are a bit narrower than others but were still very comfortable.

Cinedelphia commented about Prince Theater on Jul 17, 2017 at 7:05 pm

I wish that the Prince could survive as a film only venue with a 60' wide permanent stage width screen instead of the present 32' flying screen. It is pretty sad that in a city as large as Philadelphia that there are so few screens in Center City. At least with the Prince showing movies there is a decent venue for more mainstream films. I have read of a possible small multiplex in the Gallery renovation but I’ll believe that when I’m actually sitting in one of the theaters waiting for the show to begin.

Cinedelphia commented about Prince Theater on Jul 16, 2017 at 7:42 pm

According to the Prince website they are showing Dunkirk in both Digital Projection and 35mm. Apparently it was erroneously noted in an article in the Sunday Inquire that the Prince was showing it in 70mm.

Cinedelphia
Cinedelphia commented about UA King of Prussia Stadium 16 and IMAX on Jul 16, 2017 at 7:23 pm

Thanks for the heads-up re the road work…the seats in the IMAX are reserved so I don’t have to get there too early, but I’ll give myself a little more cushion time-wise just in case.
Hopefully the seats I chose are good; it’s a little tricky with a theater I have never been to. I went middle row, middle seats which is generally a good spot just about anywhere.

Cinedelphia
Cinedelphia commented about UA King of Prussia Stadium 16 and IMAX on Jul 12, 2017 at 7:51 pm

Just bought tickets to see Dunkirk in IMAX 70mm at KOP. It will be my first time at this theater. My only other experience with IMAX 70 was at the BFI IMAX in London which has a huge 85'x 65' screen. The scenes filmed in IMAX 70 were stunning. From what I have read, 100 minutes of Dunkirk was filmed with IMAX 70 cameras so it should be quite the visual experience. I read that IMAX screen at KOP is 74'x54'. It’s no BFI but it should still be pretty awesome.

Cinedelphia
Cinedelphia commented about Steel Pier Theatre & Steel Pier Ocean Theatre on Jul 7, 2017 at 10:48 am

“Steel Pier featured every great entertainer of their day from Frank Sinatra to Al Jolson to The Beatles”. The Beatles never played Steel Pier (unless you count their films, Hard Days Night and Help). The Beatles did play Convention Hall. I wonder what the current owners have in mind when they say “restore to its former glory”? I would doubt we will ever see the return of movies, big name live entertainment, etc to the Pier….but you never know. Except for the IMAX at one of the Casino/Hotels there are no more movie theaters in Atlantic City (or Ventnor or Margate). I don’t think that is going to change anytime soon.

Cinedelphia
Cinedelphia commented about Steel Pier Theatre & Steel Pier Ocean Theatre on Jun 18, 2017 at 7:23 pm

I really appreciate all the info re the Pier. It was also a big part of my growing up in Atlantic City and Ventnor in the 60’s.

Cinedelphia
Cinedelphia commented about Steel Pier Theatre & Steel Pier Ocean Theatre on Jun 10, 2017 at 9:54 pm

When the Ventnor was first twinned the projection appeared to be fine in both auditoriums. In its latter years as a twin the projection in the smaller room was really bad. I actually believe toward the end the Ventnor Twin was leased to someone else who ran the theater but it was in pretty poor shape by then.

Cinedelphia
Cinedelphia commented about Steel Pier Theatre & Steel Pier Ocean Theatre on Jun 9, 2017 at 10:58 am

Re the Ventnor twinning, the much larger auditorium on the left was wide and had a really big scope screen but no masking and Dolby Stereo wasn’t installed until most other theaters had DTS, etc. The other smaller auditorium was a bit of a strange affair, the screen had movable side masking but the screen was unusually high off the floor. Toward the end, the projection in the large auditorium was generally pretty good but the projection in the smaller room was pretty awful.

Cinedelphia commented about AMC Neshaminy 24 Theatres on Jun 6, 2017 at 8:07 pm

That’s a good question. I didn’t think to look for the speakers. The sound was definitely louder or “bigger” than in the past. The Ass’t Manager I had a brief chat with when I was going into the theater as I recall did mention that the sound system had been upgraded. The film, the new Pirates of the Caribbean, was reformatted to fit the taller 1.9 to 1 IMAX screen and the projected image was very bright, sharp and clear (especially for 3D) with no visible pixilation. I am not a big fan of 3D, but I must say that the 3D was excellent for this film and actually an enhancement. Regarding the upgrade to Laser Projection, it might not be up to AMC as IMAX itself apparently calls the shots on a lot of stuff. When I was in London at the BFI IMAX I asked the projectionist if they would be upgrading to Laser and he said that since they still had IMAX 70mm film that IMAX would not do the Laser upgrade.

Cinedelphia
Cinedelphia commented about AMC Neshaminy 24 Theatres on May 27, 2017 at 7:39 pm

No upgrade to Laser Projection in the IMAX. Same old 2K dual digital projector system. New amped-up sound system (it’s louder, not sure if it’s better). Seating has been redone in a semi-circular amphitheater style with large recliners (the touch controls on mine were balky and only worked intermittently). The new blue lighting is an improvement and there is nothing reflecting on the screen during the show. Other changes appear to be cosmetic including a large blue lit IMAX logo on each side wall. The renovation is OK and it’s still one of the better if not best Digital IMAX theaters in the area but an upgrade to Laser Projection would have really been a significant difference maker. All in all, it now “looks” more like a real IMAX theater than a conversion but in actual function, it’s still just a very good Digital IMAX. Looking forward to checking out the new Dolby Cinema when something I actually want to see opens there. An Ass’t Manager I spoke to, who was also disappointed in not getting the IMAX Laser upgrade told me the Dolby Cinema with the dual laser 4k’s and Atmos Sound is the impressive visual and sound experience he has ever seen other than 70mm IMAX documentaries at the Franklin Institute.

Cinedelphia
Cinedelphia commented about AMC Neshaminy 24 Theatres on May 27, 2017 at 11:55 am

IMAX has re-opened with reserved seating. Going to see new Pirates of The Caribbean there tonight. Nothing on the Neshaminy 24 website regarding Laser Projection. Will know more after tonight. If no Laser Projection I will be disappointed.

Cinedelphia
Cinedelphia commented about AMC Neshaminy 24 Theatres on May 26, 2017 at 8:47 am

It is confirmed on the Dolby Cinema and AMC site that Dolby Cinema is coming to the Neshaminy, however I’ve seen nothing official regarding the IMAX upgrading to Laser Projection. Just moving to recliners without Laser Projection in the IMAX does nothing for me.

Cinedelphia commented about AMC Woodhaven 10 on May 26, 2017 at 8:41 am

Was at the Woodhaven 10 last night for the first time since the re-model. The recliners are nice and new screens were installed in all the auditoriums, sound and projection were very good and the theater has a nice new shiny clean look and feel to it but….no more movable screen masking. You can actually see the rounded corners of the screens. 8 out of the 10 auditoriums have 2.39 to 1 screens while 2 have 1.85 to 1 screens. The ‘scope films that were being shown on those screens 1.85 to 1 screens, while being projected in the proper aspect ratio really looked crappy and like a giant letterboxed TV without even top masking. They can get away with that with Digital IMAX because the bars above and below the frame are actually black but for regular digital project it is just funky old blank screen. Bad choice AMC.

Cinedelphia
Cinedelphia commented about Steel Pier Theatre & Steel Pier Ocean Theatre on Apr 26, 2017 at 7:53 pm

Another Frank abomination (the Town Twin and later Town 16 weren’t that bad) was the Point Four which was a bowling ally converted into a four screener. No masking, mono sound, incredibly austere interior….cheap, cheap, cheap.

Cinedelphia
Cinedelphia commented about Steel Pier Theatre & Steel Pier Ocean Theatre on Apr 25, 2017 at 9:05 am

The Franks destroyed the beautiful Strand Theater in Ocean City. It’s a shame, I wish I could find more pictures of the old AC theaters, especially shots of the interiors. Wish I would have thought of doing that myself back in the day.

Cinedelphia
Cinedelphia commented about Steel Pier Theatre & Steel Pier Ocean Theatre on Apr 24, 2017 at 8:04 pm

I worked one summer at what had been the Roxy when they turned it into an indoor kiddie ride park called “The Land of Oz”. The Franks basically turned the Embassy into a Blaxploitation/Kung Fu flick house. The Apollo really went to seed under Frank management. After a fire they never even repaired the screen which had been damaged (it literally had been burned down to 1.85 to 1). Back in the 60’s/early 70’s the Hamid theaters primarily showed films from Fox, Universal and Warners. The Apollo Circuit had MGM and Paramount and the Beach always seemed to show a lot of United Artists product.The Charles in its heyday was actually considered an “Art House” with foreign films and more high brow and prestige US films like the Godfather. The only theaters I was never in was The Capital (I was too young to get in to the summer Burlesque and skin flicks in the winter) and the Astor which was more of a neighborhood house with second runs, double features, grindhouse type films, etc. The Franks apparently even ruined the Astor turning it into the “Town Cinema” and covered the marquee with a cardboard sign which literally turned to mush from the rain.

Cinedelphia
Cinedelphia commented about Steel Pier Theatre & Steel Pier Ocean Theatre on Apr 24, 2017 at 10:32 am

The Franks built the Town Twin (later expanded to 4 and then 16) from the ground up at the Shore Mall next to the Atlantic Drive-In. For a Twin built from the ground up it was mediocre at best. One decently sized room and one smaller room with what my Father termed “A postage stamp screen”. After growing up with the big AC palaces it was a bit of a shock for me. However the real issue was the too frequent presentation issues: out of focus projection, poor framing, films breaking or burning up in the projector and while there was side masking, its use was inconsistent to say the least. Welcome to the world of Frank Theaters. Everything done on the cheap, indifferent quality control, etc, etc. In fairness, apparently the current state of the Frank chain has improved. I actually went to Jr and Sr High School with Bruce Frank who is now the CEO and he might have done some things to change that bad old Frank Theater culture.

Cinedelphia
Cinedelphia commented about Steel Pier Theatre & Steel Pier Ocean Theatre on Apr 23, 2017 at 6:55 pm

Actually born and raised in AC and Ventnor. Had lot’s of extended family in Philly though and eventually migrated there myself. You’re memory is better than mine when it comes to dates. I’m pretty good with remembering which theater I saw the films. One thing I do recall, out of focus, film breaking and burning in the projectors, etc seemed to start happening at the Frank Theater’s brand new Town Twin.

Cinedelphia
Cinedelphia commented about Steel Pier Theatre & Steel Pier Ocean Theatre on Apr 22, 2017 at 8:59 pm

I specifically recall seeing Patton at the Shore with my father but I don’t recall it being a roadshow…it certainly wasn’t being presented in D150, 70mm, etc. I wish I could recall more about the roadshows in AC. The one’s I saw, The Sand Pebbles and The Blue Max were in the summer. Dr. Doolittle in 70mm at the Hollywood was not in the summer. One thing I do remember about those theaters in AC was never seeing anything out of focus or looking dim like the projector light was turned down or worn out. I would assume all those old theaters were still using carbon arc lamps and experienced union projectionists to run them. The last film I saw at the Shore was the Bruce Lee film “The Chinese Connection”. It already had a run at the Beach and while the print had more than a bit of wear/damage (like most Hong Kong “Chop Socky” flicks of that era) it still looked very good. I don’t have any problem with today’s digital projection (it’s seems a bit more idiot proof) but if you didn’t get to see a new 35mm film print (much less 70mm) projected properly through a well maintained carbon arc lamp projector onto a 50 ft screen you really missed out.

Cinedelphia
Cinedelphia commented about Steel Pier Theatre & Steel Pier Ocean Theatre on Apr 22, 2017 at 9:21 am

Just a guess on my part but one reason why they stopped using the curtains at some of these theaters is because they were running “continuous showings” or “grind” where once the main feature ended (and back in those days there was little or no end title crawl, just “The End” and the film company logo) the trailers, cartoon (remember those?), etc would start up immediately and run that way all day and night like a continuous loop through the two projectors. Some believe that once the monopoly of the film companies owning the first run theaters was broken up that it was the beginning of the decline of great film presentation. Those film companies had strict rules for proper presentation. Curtains were to be used before and after the main feature, trailers, cartoons and short subjects and screen masking adjusted behind the closed curtain (an empty screen was never to be seen).

Cinedelphia commented about Ritz East Theater on Apr 21, 2017 at 9:10 am

Am I crazy or confused…but is the screen larger in the smaller auditorium #2 ?

Cinedelphia
Cinedelphia commented about Steel Pier Theatre & Steel Pier Ocean Theatre on Apr 17, 2017 at 8:51 am

I think that the question regarding the Center and the Hollywood is not whether they had curtains and masking but if at some point they just stopped using them. I have always wondered if by the mid 70’s they just started the bad practice of showing everything at 2.0 to 1. Apparently this was not uncommon at that time. I do recall ‘scope films at the Roxy always looking to be every bit of 2.39 to 1. When I saw the French Connection in '71 (actually New Years Eve) at the Hollywood I do recall the film being 1.85 to 1 without any empty screen being exposed so there must have either been black masking or the curtain used to mask off the ends of the screen. Most of the films that I have any real memory of at the Center were 'scope and that theater was very wide and that curved screen went almost wall to wall (my guess is it was constructed in front of the original proscenium arch or the arch was busted out when the theater was converted to 'scope and 70mm in the 50’s).

Cinedelphia
Cinedelphia commented about Steel Pier Theatre & Steel Pier Ocean Theatre on Apr 15, 2017 at 10:07 am

If they were showing non-scope in the Casino at 1.66 to 1 on what was probably a 50 foot wide 2.40 to 1 screen with the side masking retracted it would certainly appear square. I agree with you 100% regarding the Virginia vs the Roxy. But what was more of an issue to me is that the Virginia just wasn’t up to the standards of a “Roadshow” house. The screen needed to be bigger and have proper masking and a curtain and the truth is, the theater in general was more than a bit plain, drab and run down looking. My guess is the owners just didn’t want to invest the money into a very large, old theater like the Roxy…but it sure would have been something if they had. The use of the regular screen curtains as masking in the Hamid theaters probably explains why I never noticed masking in the Center, Hollywood, etc. The Center (which had a great huge curved screen) and the Hollywood did have 70mm and roadshows and were certainly worthy of doing them. It is also just beyond me why the dumpy Shore Theater was chosen for the roadshows of Cleopatra and Patton. Again, not a question of the size of the theater but no masking or curtain and a generally uninspiring theater interior. I would also guess no multi-channel sound either.