Comments from imaxman

Showing 14 comments

imaxman commented about Roxy Theater on Nov 21, 2011 at 8:28 am

Morning Joe, Thanks for your input and eagle eye, I know my memory has faded some. Upon retiring this must be a normal obsession, trying to relive the past. Surprisingly I can remember where I viewed certain movies, and so I use IMDB to check the dates. I’m in California, and cannot go to library’s to look up info. A web page mentioned that the Carthage library had the local newspaper from 1888 to present on microfilm. Someday I’ll get there. I was amazed to discover last night that Google has published many U.S. newspapers including Nevada, Mo.

Also in Carthage there was the Sunset Drive in, not yet listed here.

I’m thinking the Roxy was lost between 1963-68, when I returned as a seasoned projectionist and wanted to see the Roxy “soooo bad”. But it was gone. Fall 68 is when I returned to Nevada, MO. for four months and worked the Fox. In 1979 I returned to California and have been here since then, only with occasional visits to Carthage.

All the people on this web site are wonderful I can spend hours reading history. Especially thanks to the Web Host for providing this cinema web site.

imaxman commented about Roxy Theater on Nov 21, 2011 at 12:39 am

Hi Joe I’m looking at google street view. and the book review simultaneously attempting to get an idea, the Hollbrook drugstore later bookstore was on south corner, I used to hangout there and a jewelry store was on the other end of the block. book review the Electric ? theater shown on the west side may be the Roxy, I’m checking to see if they may have the west mixed for the south. I’ll be searching the net. We rented a house from Murry Dunkin drug store, I was there in the 4th thru 7th grade and moved after the Kennedy assassination.

imaxman commented about Roxy Theater on Nov 21, 2011 at 12:02 am

Hello Joe Thanks for your input, Somehow I seem to think it is the Roxy, at least during the 60’s when I went there, it was almost a long narrow almost shoe box one entrance to the auditorium, can’t remember if a single isle down the middle or seats in the middle. but it was definitely a small 200-300 seat theater. use to get in free with a potato chip sack on some promotions. I just retired and now are researching my old childhood theaters. Have been using IMDB to try to verify some dates. more later.

imaxman commented about Fox Theater Playhouse on Nov 20, 2011 at 11:43 pm

I went to this theater as a teen, later I worked there for a short time in 1968. Several years ater it was twinned with the balcony being one theater and the lower section being another, The seating was elevated continuous from front to back without the usual floating balcony. Only a separating walkway where patrons entered the auditorium. Some years later it was Multiplexed again into three cinemas by splitting the lower section. resulting in three very short throw, very wide theaters, not your typical long narrow shoe boxes. At last it was stripped out and restored as a stage playhouse type theater. This is the theater where I first stepped into the booth at age 14 and began my career as a film projectionist. ending with 30 years with IMAX, with about 47 years total.

imaxman commented about Roxy Theater on Nov 20, 2011 at 10:29 am

The last time I went to this theater was 1963. When I came back in 1972 it was gone, I think destroyed by fire, Google street view shows the empty space where the theater was. Film’s I saw in this movie house were “The Shaggy Dog”, “Flubber”, “Island of Dr. Moreau” and some other Jerry Lewis films. These are some of the shows I can remember, If I remember correctly the Fox off the town square from the north side had already been converted to the Star Lanes bowling alley. This was about a year before I ventured into a projection booth and began my lifelong job as a film projectionist, ending with 30 years with IMAX. I hope to return to Carthage library someday and look-up newspaper articles to update this thread.

imaxman commented about Dream Cinema on Nov 20, 2011 at 1:16 am

I have a number of photos to post showing this and other theaters in South Korea. There is an article about this theater in Wikipedia.

And an additional Wikipedia linked story about the projectionist here.

imaxman commented about Land of the Sun Theatre on Jul 6, 2011 at 10:40 am

I worked here as a projectionist assistant while also running movies at the Hermosa Drive In theatre. I think I was about 16 at the time, there is not yet a listing for the drive in here, I can later add some comments. The LandSun was a single screen, Movies I remember here are “Whats New Pussycat”, Boy Did I Get A Wrong Number" with Bob Hope. The theatre down the street was closed and converted into a restaurant, although the projection booth was still intact with projectors and equipment. I was here when the Apollo 1 astronauts died, and when the Beatles music was banned. We had just put up a 24 sheet billboard at the drive in, and had to pull it down and replace it with something else. We also had a pickup truck that had two 6 sheet boards for movie adds. I sure wish I had a camera back then and the foresight to take pictures.

IMAX Jack

imaxman commented about Azteca Theatre on Jun 22, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Hi Chuck The 904 address is from the upper corner of google maps, street view, I just looked again, and the building that I remember as a large drug store has the number 800 on the glass door. So the Tejano Club next door could be 802 to 810 or thereabouts. This appears to be about the size a 200 seat theatre would be. Again I’m going from memory about 50 years ago. I hope to return sometime and check old newspapers, The Wichita was a first run theatre, I hope to find a newspaper Ad from December 65, I just checked IMDB and “Doctor Zhivago” was released in December 1965. That is the timeframe I was there. The projectionist union wanted to hire me as a projectionist but I was not old enough. I started running theatre projectors when I was 14, and pretty much self taught. I have done that all my life except for my military time and 5 years in a movie lab here in California. IMAX Jack

imaxman commented about Azteca Theatre on Jun 22, 2011 at 9:43 am

There is a possibility that the Tejano Scorpion Club at 904 Indiana Avenue Wichita Falls, TX 76301 Google maps, is the old Azteca Theatre, I’m thinking back almost 50 years, I remember seeing a movie there “Torero Por Un Dia” with an actor Pipporo, similar to Cantinflas. The building next door was a large drug store., and of coarse down the street is the Wichita and “Dr Zahavigo” was playing there in 70mm. That’s the best time frame I can give. I will try to have the Library look up a newspaper add from that period. IMAX Jack

imaxman commented about Cinema 21 on Jun 17, 2011 at 5:50 pm

I worked as a projectionist thru the Smokey Bandit series and a few more pictures, also when we upgraded from carbon arcs to zenon lamphouse during a B/W Woody Allen picture. When I retire in 3 months I will link a bunch of San Diego booth photos. IMAXJack

imaxman
imaxman commented about Remembering Cinerama (Part VIII) on Oct 12, 2009 at 4:18 pm

The Cinerama was running “Empire Strikes Back” When I was relief projectionist there, The Chief projectionst Dick Koldoff had run all the 3 strip films there and had in his archives tfhe last 20 minutes od “This Is Cinerama”. He was a master projector repairman, rebuilding projectors from all over the US.

I was at the Center Three for a while after it had been split into a tri-plex. The projector in each booth supossedly was a cinerama machine converted back to 4 perf pulldown.

The Cinema 21 was a 35/70 house but had a long projection booth same as Cinerama and Center-3. although the ports were covered and never used for three strip. I have pictures.

I have worked most every theatre in San Diego from 1967 to now.

Imax says I am the most senior IMAX Projectionist still working anywhere in the world.
IMAXJACK

imaxman
imaxman commented about Remembering Cinerama (Part VIII) on Oct 12, 2009 at 3:04 pm

Cinama 21 had a Cinerama style booth.

imaxman commented about AMC Citywalk Stadium 19 on Jan 16, 2005 at 1:26 am

I have heard from a regular inqusitive customer they have one of the poorest presentations in L.A. only two projectionist, and running damaged film, even IMAX 3D scratched prints, and do not care about customer satisfaction. This is not the place to see large format films. spend your money elseware, how can Universal let this happen on their property?

imaxman commented about Tiki Theatre on Jan 16, 2005 at 12:42 am

I have some Pussycat info I worked there from 1967 to 1974.
National City, CA