Comments from jaybee7414

Showing 9 comments

jaybee7414
jaybee7414 commented about Hollywood Cinemas 9 on Jan 4, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Sorry, I hear ya' CS. I guess a dollar show is out of the question.

Do you happen to know when they first opened as the Esplanade Theater (or something like that)? Do you know when they reopened as Hollywood 9?

jaybee7414
jaybee7414 commented about Hollywood Cinemas 9 on Nov 13, 2012 at 2:06 pm

CSWalczak, how can you suggest that Hollywood 9 would have even a fighting chance against a massive new movie-house a stone’s throw (literally)away? THey are not successful now.

jaybee7414
jaybee7414 commented about Lakeside Cinemas on Nov 13, 2012 at 6:55 am

Amazing that there is no picture of this theater.

jaybee7414
jaybee7414 commented about Hollywood Cinemas 9 on Nov 13, 2012 at 6:52 am

From what I saw Saturday Night, it might close well before that.

jaybee7414
jaybee7414 commented about Hollywood Cinemas 9 on Nov 12, 2012 at 1:49 pm

By the way when did the UA Pavillion 8 in Kenner close. How long was it opened?

jaybee7414
jaybee7414 commented about Hollywood Cinemas 9 on Nov 12, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I went there Saturday, November 10, 2012 to see “Skyfall”. I hadn’t been to this area in six months, and noticed that with the huge development of the new movie theater the mall looked more desolate then ever. And with that and the closing of the road on the other side Hollywood 9 looks more isolated then ever. There were less than 20 people watching the show.

jaybee7414
jaybee7414 commented about Lakeside Cinemas on Jul 20, 2011 at 1:39 am

I started going there a lot in the early-mid 80’s. I lived in Gretna, but like partying in Fat City, so I’d get loaded before the 7 or 7:30 movie and afterwards just walk across the street and start a tour of the Fat City bars. I first went to the theater in August of 1982 to watch Rocky 3.

In ‘82 I was 26.

jaybee7414
jaybee7414 commented about Lakeside Cinemas on Apr 1, 2008 at 6:31 am

“GCC operated the theatres until the mid/late 90’s, and they sat empty for several years. I saw a wrecking ball doing the last of the dirty work on Cinema 4 & 5 during a visit around 2002.
posted by DonS on Feb 11, 2005 at 8:21pm”

I left the area in January of 1999 (returned a year ago-March 2007) and the theater was still active, so I’m not sure when it “sat empty” but I heard that it was operating into the 2000’s. I realized our posts are just over 3 YEARS apart.

jaybee7414
jaybee7414 commented about Lakeside Cinemas on Apr 1, 2008 at 5:57 am

Wasn’t the development of the “Super Theaters” such as nearby Clearview Palace at the Clearview Mall what really sealed the fate of Lakeside and other obsolete theaters? Most every theater not the size of a small city has succumbed to these giants. One of the few still around in the Jefferson Parish area is Hollywood 9 (formerly Esplanade Theater or Cinema) in Kenner and given how small the crowds have been it’s a wonder that it’s still open.