Comments from joshmassey

Showing 13 comments

joshmassey commented about AMC Colonial 18 Theatres on Sep 30, 2010 at 6:42 pm

The mall cinemas, both inside and outside, were still there in 1996. But they were both in pretty dire shape. When the brand new Colonial opened, with its better sound and stadium seating, it became worth the 45-minute drive.

Heck, as the movie critic for The Red & Black, I could go to the mall theaters for free and still chose to make the drive.

joshmassey
joshmassey commented about Northlake Festival Movie Tavern on Sep 2, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Slight correction: AMC Northlake opened in 1984. I specifically remember seeing “Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom” and “The Neverending Story” there.

joshmassey commented about Lefont Toco Hills Theater on Jul 24, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Sadly, it looks like the Toco Hills theater is turning into a bagel shop. I took this picture a couple of weeks ago, and the construction guys were hard at work. I didn’t go in, so I’m not sure the extent they’re renovating the actual theater (the lobby was being gutted, though).

joshmassey commented about AMC Colonial 18 Theatres on Jul 2, 2010 at 10:36 am

Yep, I was at UGA in ‘96 and it immediately became a destination for Athens moviegoers despite being 40 minutes away. Athens theaters stunk at the time, though there are a few good ones now.

joshmassey commented about Alps Cinema on Jul 2, 2010 at 10:33 am

Wait a second, wasn’t the Alps Theater at the very end of the shopping center, closest to Baxter? Isn’t the Kroger at the other end?

joshmassey commented about North Dekalb Theatre on Dec 9, 2009 at 6:23 pm

AMC North DeKalb Mall 16 opened in 1996. The first movie I saw there was “Scream,” but it had been up and running for a few months by then. But actually, the theater I’m referring to was in the same mall, but a different location. It was a four-house Cineplex Odeon theater called Market Square 4.

The first movies I remember seeing there were “La Bamba,” “Can’t Buy Me Love” and “Throw Momma From the Train,” so it must have opened in 1987. If I had to take a stab at a closing date, I’d guess 1994.

joshmassey commented about Northeast Plaza Cinema on Jul 15, 2009 at 10:02 am

It’s now a Hispanic nightclub, I believe.

joshmassey commented about North Dekalb Theatre on Jul 13, 2009 at 4:52 pm

Has anybody created a page for the Cineplex Odeon Market Square theater that opened in North DeKalb Mall?

joshmassey commented about Lenox Square Theatre on Jul 13, 2009 at 4:42 pm

Is this the same theater that was in the mall, next to the food court? I only went a few times in the early ‘90s, and by then any previous charm was long gone. It was an awful location, made worse when the then-state-of-the-art AMC Phipps Plaza opened up across the street.

joshmassey commented about Lefont Toco Hills Theater on Jul 13, 2009 at 4:36 pm

The shopping center has definitely not been demolished – it’s still thriving. From the outside, the theater remains unchanged. Not sure about inside.

joshmassey commented about Northlake Mall I II III on Jul 13, 2009 at 4:26 pm

Northlake 2 lasted until 1992, at least. I remember seeing “Lethal Weapon 3” there.

Now it’s a sporting goods store. C'est la vie.

joshmassey
joshmassey commented about Northlake Festival Movie Tavern on Jul 13, 2009 at 4:18 pm

I was an early ‘90s employee, and can verify there was a group that worked there for years. I was there from 10th grade until I left for college ('92-'94), and then one more summer after my freshman year at UGA. There were people there long before me who lasted for years after I left.

To correct some stuff from up above: AMC Northlake opened in 1984. The first movies I saw there (at 8 years old) were “Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom” and “Dune.” And Northlake 2 hung on until 1992. I specifically remember seeing some ‘92 releases over there (“Lethal Weapon 3” pops to mind).

I think AMC Northlake closed around ‘99. I know that’s when the Regal Hollywood 24 opened its doors, and the competition was obviously crushing.

joshmassey commented about Village Theatre on Jul 13, 2009 at 4:04 pm

Yeah, it was definitely around until the late ‘80s. I don’t think I saw anything there past '85 or so. “E.T.,” “Song of the South,” “Bambi,” “The Muppets Take Manhattan” and “Top Gun” are the titles I definitely remember seeing.

Yes, I was very young.