Comments from jpr88

Showing 10 comments

jpr88
jpr88 commented about Antioch 2 Theatre on Jul 6, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Star Wars played exclusively at the Glenwood before opening on a second screen at Antioch.

jpr88
jpr88 commented about Fairyland Twin Drive-In on Aug 1, 2013 at 3:04 pm

There is a site called Historic Aerials NETR Online. You can type in Kansas city, then enable the road overlays and find the locations of all of our drive ins, past and present. It has overhead pics from various years, as well as Topo maps. By the photo from 1969 it looks like Fairyland was already a twin by then.

jpr88
jpr88 commented about South Twin Drive-In on Oct 24, 2012 at 6:16 pm

It did open in 70 and closed in 85.

jpr88
jpr88 commented about Heart Drive-In on Oct 6, 2012 at 11:30 am

I didnt realize that this Drive in was opened til 85. I would have swore it closed in the late 70s or very early 80s.

jpr88
jpr88 commented about Lake Park Twin Drive-In on Sep 27, 2012 at 1:00 pm

The Lake Park was still opened until 81 at least. The last movie I saw there was Outland and it came out in 81. It stood for a couple more years before it was demolished. The State’s last year of operation was 91. These were two of my favorite drive ins growing up. Visited them both dozens of times at least.

jpr88
jpr88 commented about State Twin Drive-In on Sep 27, 2012 at 12:40 pm

The State was built as a twin screen Drive in. It was nearly identical to the Twin, North Twin and South Twin. And similar to the I70. All of these theaters were operated by Mid America Cinemas.

jpr88
jpr88 commented about Crest Drive-In on Aug 6, 2011 at 10:40 am

On Drive ins.com The Crest is listed as holding 1550 cars.

jpr88
jpr88 commented about Crest Drive-In on Jul 21, 2011 at 3:40 pm

There were about 20 Drive ins in the KC metro area in the late 70s. We still have 3. The Boulevard on the Kansas side and the I-70 in KCMO as well as the Twin in Independence.

jpr88
jpr88 commented about Alamo Drafthouse Mainstreet on Sep 21, 2008 at 8:16 pm

I saw many movies at the empire in 70s and early 80s .I remember one huge fancy auditorium and three smaller less detailed ones either upstairs or down, no wall between the main auditorium. it would be a shame to make it like the new multiplexes. I sincerely hope the original grandeur can be preserved or at least recreated.

jpr88
jpr88 commented about South Twin Drive-In on Apr 2, 2008 at 1:26 pm

It was still opened in 1982,I saw RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK there.I dont remember what the second feature was but the third was VICTORY with Sylvester Stallone. Also the intermission at these drive ins showed footage of the north twin. Does anyone know if its available on DVD. These were well maintaned theatres that featured first run entertainment in a family atmosphere. I have many fond memories especially of the state twin and I miss them all.