Comments from kong1911

kong1911
kong1911 commented about International Airport Drive-In on Oct 8, 2013 at 7:02 am

Ed. I 3 blocks from a runway. In the 1950’s when the super constellations came overhead, you almost got skid marks on the roof and everything in the china closet changed places.

kong1911 commented about Park Theatre on Oct 7, 2013 at 12:18 pm

I’m not sure when the Park closed but I remember seeing “Old Yella” (Walt Disney)there about 1957.

kong1911
kong1911 commented about International Airport Drive-In on Oct 7, 2013 at 12:13 pm

I’ve lived in this area all my life and never heard a thing about this place. I’ve also talked with people in their 80’s and they don’t remember any place or talk about it. Could be that there was industry talk about it but so close to the airport noise the project was dropped.

kong1911 commented about Rockville Centre Cinema on Jun 21, 2013 at 6:48 am

It’s now just a hole in the ground.

kong1911 commented about Rockville Centre Cinema on May 21, 2013 at 6:07 am

Passed by yesterday. They are taking the building down.

kong1911 commented about Brooklyn Paramount Theatre on Mar 20, 2013 at 1:31 pm

You can now take a video tour of the 4/26 Wurlitzer Organ that is still there on UTube at: http://youtu.be/_PygQbt2ios

kong1911 commented about Brooklyn Paramount Theatre on Jan 26, 2013 at 1:19 pm

There was a silent film “The Phantom of the Opera” done with the organ which went over very well except that it was the day before Sandy came and that kept people away but quite a few did show up. The last concert that was open to the public was I don’t even know how many years ago. It is hoped that a concert and 2 or 3 silent movies will be put on each year. Let’s see.

kong1911 commented about Brooklyn Paramount Theatre on Jan 25, 2013 at 11:21 am

Do you want to hear the Mighty Wurlitzer at LIU Brooklyn, (The Brooklyn Paramount)? On Sunday, February 17, 2013 at 7:00 P.M. An evening of pops, show tues, and light classical will be performed by Theatre Organist Jelani Eddington. For more information go to www.nytos.org

kong1911 commented about Loew's Kings Theatre on Jan 7, 2013 at 6:03 am

Not such a big deal but the organ for the Kings is a Robert Morton.

kong1911 commented about Brooklyn Paramount Theatre on Dec 12, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Maybe not anytime soon but you can still come and hear the mighty Wurlitzer roar. An organ concert is being planned for the middle of February. More details latter.

kong1911 commented about Brooklyn Paramount Theatre on Oct 9, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Here’s some news!! The New York Theatre Organ Society will present the 1925 Horror Movie Classic “The Phantom of the Opera” Starring Lon Chaney at the Brooklyn Paramount on Sunday, October 28th 2012 at 3PM. The Brooklyn Paramount Mighty Wurlitzer Theatre Pipe Organ will be played with the movie. General Admission will be $10.00. $8.00 for Seniors.

kong1911 commented about Green Acres Cinemas on May 19, 2012 at 6:45 am

There is now a fence around the place with a sign that says “Coming soon, Olive Garden Resturant.

kong1911 commented about Brooklyn Paramount Theatre on Apr 2, 2012 at 8:08 am

Here is a link to a larger photo.

kong1911 commented about Brooklyn Paramount Theatre on Mar 20, 2012 at 6:12 am

To Adam S, there is one photo some place on the internet which does show a small piece of the first mezzanine. It was in Life magazzine right after the first conversion. The photo shows a student jumping over a gym horse and you can just make out part of the mezz. You’ll have to do a web. search to find it. It’s the only photo I ever saw which has the mezz. in it.

kong1911 commented about Loew's Kings Theatre on Apr 14, 2011 at 6:59 am

To LuisV, There will be a One Credit Course/Conference at the old Brooklyn Paramount tomorrow, April 15 that is open and free to the public. We’ll see if there is any talk re: the above. For more info see the Brooklyn Paramount page.

kong1911 commented about Radio City Music Hall on Mar 31, 2011 at 2:32 pm

For Hank.sykes, Many years ago I read an article that stated they were water. When I performed there I went down to the bottom of the pit and found it so clean that you could do surgery down there.

kong1911 commented about Radio City Music Hall on Mar 16, 2011 at 6:50 am

I remember going to see that show. Long lines around the block waiting to get in as usual. When I buy tickets for the Christmas show now I tell the people in the box office what the price was back then and they look at me as if I’m nuts!!

kong1911 commented about Brooklyn Paramount Theatre on Mar 11, 2011 at 4:52 pm

I don’t know if that discussion will take place. As far as I know there is no talk of restoring it back to a theatre. All I can tell you is to come. All the powers that be will be there so you can ask them. I plan on being there for the whole thing. I think it is going to be very interesting and informative. Not to mention they now have a small museum for the Brooklyn Paramount. Photos, Uniforms, etc.

kong1911 commented about Brooklyn Paramount Theatre on Mar 11, 2011 at 8:50 am

Brooklyn Paramount fans, now is your chance!!! There will be “A one credit course/ conference at the old Brooklyn Paramount on Friday, April 15, 2011. This will be free and open to the public. From 9 am to 5 pm. Lunch will be provided only for those paying for the credit course. The schedule as it stands now will be panels in the morning session from Joe Baskin (Rebeilious Laughter) Mary Favia (Palace Theatre Veteran) Joe Franklin (Memory Lane) David Harmon (Harmony Productions) Dr. Sue Horowitz (Women in Vaudeville) Ron Hurchinson (The Vitaphone Project) Craig Morrison (Brooklyn Theatre History) Richie "O” (Producer, “The Joe Franklin Show”) Don K. Reed (The Doo-Wop Shop -WCBS FM) Ron Schweiger (Brooklyn Borough Historian) Norman Steinberg (Blazing Saddles) Travis Stewart (Vaudeville Historian) Peter Tymus (Architecture & Theatre Engineering). Performers will include: A short concert showing off the Mighty Wurlitzer. Sammy Sax and the MD’s will perform songs from the old Alan Freed shows, Travis Stewart will bring you back to the Vaudeville days, The Giacomo Gates Quintet (feturing Sam Newsone) Greg Lewis, Carlo de Rosa & suprise guests will also perform.

kong1911 commented about Radio City Music Hall on Nov 14, 2010 at 7:04 am

I also have confidence in Ron Bishop. Most people have no idea how many things can go wrong with a pipe organ. The 4/58 has over 4,000 pipes. Not counting all the toys it has. Most of the time you would find a small problem, like one or two pipes not speaking. But, for the entire instrument not to play (I can only guess) it was probably a main electrical problem. Then getting the part or parts and installing them. At least those things can be got at a supply house near-by.

kong1911 commented about Radio City Music Hall on Nov 11, 2010 at 6:27 am

Re: the Wurlitzer 4/58. I am sure that getting parts is not the problem. I’ll bet that funding for the parts is. Mr. Bishop can only do so much. There comes a time that one must spend some money for maintenance on something so large and complex as that. Also there are a few things that if any one thing goes out, the organ will not play. I am sure that Mr. Bishop will find and fix the problem. I just hope that the organist still gets paid.

kong1911 commented about Radio City Music Hall on May 31, 2010 at 12:48 pm

In answer to Myron’s comment. I know that Hunter College used RCMH for their graduations. I have no idea who else might use it.

kong1911 commented about Rockville Centre Cinema on Nov 1, 2009 at 8:26 am

To longislandmovies, The building is still there. Still with a for lease sign on it. I don’t think the inside has been touched. Last I heard the owner of the property wanted too much rent to make it work for an operator.

kong1911 commented about Loew's Valencia Theatre on Oct 6, 2009 at 8:03 am

My father had a butcher and grocery store in east new york brooklyn and sold merkel products for years. I thought there bacon was the best. Merkel’s building could be seen from the Long Island Railroad platforms at the Jamaica station. The Merkel Big sign above the building has been gone for many years but the building was there until about a year ago. One of the reasons Merkel closed down was that government inspectors found that to save money they were mixing horse meat into their products. If you go back that far you would have read that in the Long Island Press.

kong1911 commented about Radio City Music Hall on Sep 7, 2009 at 5:05 am

rvb, That is not a second organ. It is a second console connected to the same organ. Also, it is not a slave console. I also have been impressed when both are used. djf7 The Paramount organ can still kick. I was there yesterday. I’ll try resending you that e-mail.