Comments from Needy

Needy commented about Des Peres 14 Cine' on Oct 14, 2010 at 1:20 pm

I don’t know if anyone else has noticed, but there used to be about 9 tv screens in the middle of the main lobby (Chesterfield Galaxy and Arnold 14 have the same). They used to always show previews on those screens. Nowadays they put up a big cardboard sign in front of it that had the Wehrenberg logo.

I hate to say it, but Wehrenberg never keeps up with quality. This theater must be one of the next few that will be go. Sadly, I remember when this was a packed theater always.

Needy commented about South County Cinema on Oct 8, 2010 at 6:53 pm

Also, I believe it was Wehrenberg that bought out GCC in StL

Needy commented about South County Cinema on Oct 8, 2010 at 6:52 pm

I think AMC would definitely move in this area. There are no AMC theaters in South county anyway (or at least that part of SoCo). It would greatly help if they built screens that were attached to the mall. Great idea. And yes, this is very underscreened.

Needy commented about Lindbergh 8 Cinema on Jul 15, 2010 at 11:01 am

When was this converted from a first-run theater to a dollar show?

Needy commented about Halls Ferry 14 Cine' on Jun 3, 2010 at 6:08 pm

It’s demolished now? What’s in its place?

Needy commented about Kenrick 8 Cine on Mar 18, 2010 at 4:54 am

According to rumors, Walmart is thinking about building onto this site.

Needy commented about Keller Plaza 8 on Nov 8, 2009 at 5:51 pm

Keller was NOT closed in May 2000, it closed in November 2000! Someone please erase every thing that Chuck Van Bibber writes. Update!

Needy commented about Jamestown 14 on Jul 13, 2009 at 10:59 am

Go to Wehrenberg’s site now, it’s not on there anymore

Needy commented about Jamestown 14 on Jul 9, 2009 at 8:09 am

I went to this theater when it opened. It was pretty stable with a steady flow of customers. I never thought this mall was “doing well” but apparently it was doing well enough to open a large set of screens in the theater.

I can’t say that this mall…and probably this theater…is doing well these days, especially since Wehrenberg gave it up.

Needy commented about AMC Crestwood Plaza 10 on Jul 6, 2009 at 9:53 am

I’ve been hearing rumors that AMC wants to pull out now that this mall is virtually gone. I’m in agreement and I think it’s only a matter of time…

Needy commented about Jamestown 14 on Jul 6, 2009 at 9:45 am

In the paper today, it says “under new ownership” and it is not listed under the Wehrenberg logo. Upon logging into the Wehrenberg website, it also has no mention of Jamestown. Who owns this theater now? It looks like it is still showing new releases as of now.

Needy commented about South County Cinema on Apr 20, 2009 at 11:45 am

I believe everyone except Chuck1231. He’s wrong on every post he’s made about every single theater. Chuck, please go through your old posts and edit them. Every user has pointed out to the fact that you’re wrong about everything

Needy commented about Chesterfield 14 on Mar 17, 2009 at 7:38 am

I saw My Bloody Valentine 3D here when it came out in January 2009. It was expensive (probably because it was in 3D) but I was very impressed by the new theater in the mall!

Needy commented about Springfield 11 Cinemas on Mar 4, 2009 at 11:55 am

Great theater! Sometimes after going to many new aged stadium seating, it’s nice to see a theater that doesn’t have those kinds. I always loved coming here. Very very clean, and the seats that lean back are extremely comfortable. Plenty of leg room too, especially if you sit near the back. Definitely one of my favorite places to go see a show in Springfield.

Needy commented about Campbell 16 Cine' on Mar 4, 2009 at 11:53 am

I always liked going to this theater when I was in college. It has a very large lobby, and always attracts a very large crowd. Theaters aren’t terribly big, but all of them are stadium seating. I spent many weekends at this theater going to movies.

Needy commented about Arnold 14 Cine on Mar 4, 2009 at 10:14 am

Why is this for sale?

I’ve gotta hand it to Charles Van Bibber, you’re incorrect yet again. ALL theaters have stadium seating. This opened in March 1999. I always liked seeing movies here, is it still as crowded and popular as it was?

Needy commented about Galleria 6 Cinemas on Mar 4, 2009 at 9:52 am

A very nice and somewhat quiet theater located in a very nice large mall. It helps that there is a curfew at this mall so seeing a movie at night is a pleasure since there aren’t tons and tons of teens hanging in the stores nor in the theater. I will be returning!

Needy commented about AMC Studio 30 on Mar 4, 2009 at 9:50 am

A very nice theater. Watch out for teen friendly flicks as we actually left without watching the movie we were going to pay for as it was very loud.

It’s hard to imagine – Olathe KS has a NEED for 30 screens? Very impressive nonetheless. I especially liked how you could pay for your popcorn and soda, get a printout ticket of it, and walk to an express lane to get it without waiting. Very nice!

Needy commented about Studio Movie Grill on Mar 4, 2009 at 9:47 am

I have only seen 2 movies here, Night at the Museum and The Sentinel. It was very nice although I was not used to it since most other theaters don’t have dining. I have been to the comedy club frequently as that is it’s main attraction.

I thought I heard from someone that they stopped playing movies here. Is that true? If so, what is that side of the theater used for now?

Needy commented about Creve Coeur 12 Theatre on Mar 4, 2009 at 9:19 am

I like this theater a lot. It’s very clean and nice with some good restaurants within walking distance.

No surprise, Charles Van Bibber is incorrect again. PLEASE update all of the theaters you posted on as you continually get everything wrong. This theater doesn’t have a large lobby – at least not as large as the West Olive, Des Peres, etc. There is no game room here either.

Needy commented about AMC West Olive 16 on Mar 4, 2009 at 9:16 am

Very nice theater – one of the most impressive in the St. Louis area for now. This theater was the first all-stadium seating theater to come to St. Louis. Before this theater was built, only the largest screens at already existing theaters were converted into stadium seating.

Needy commented about Des Peres 14 Cine' on Mar 4, 2009 at 9:12 am

I used to go to this theater frequently in high school. I believe it started off when the 14 screens were built as regular theaters. Never being the type to focus on quality instead of the latest flavor of the month, Wehrenberg then shut down all of the theaters on the left hand side of the building to convert them all into stadium seating. Now this theater has half stadium seating, and half regular seating. I believe building stadium seating here was because Wehrenberg always likes jumping on the bandwagon instead of blazing their own trail, and because they needed to compete with the up and coming West Olive 16 which was (at the time) the largest theater and the one with 100% stadium seating.

Getting to the theater today is a little different than it was when it was built. Manchester road now is only 1 way in front of the theater. You actually go behind it if you’re headed west on Manchester when you cross over the highway. I don’t know if this new road format has helped or hurt business at this theater. I will say it is one of the nicer Wehrenberg theaters I have been to (at least in the 1990s). This also seems to be one of the last all-brick Wehrenberg theaters as they now build bawdier theaters like Ronnies, St. Charles 18, Dardeene Prairie. No offense to the architect, it’s just the brick looks much more impressive.

Needy commented about Metro North Mall 6 Theatre on Mar 4, 2009 at 6:09 am

How odd. What was the movie you were seeing when it happened? I’m assuming you never went back to this theater?

What year did it close exactly?

Needy commented about Metro North Mall 6 Theatre on Feb 27, 2009 at 6:46 am

Edit: My above comment about Derek pleading guilty was pasted in the wrong area. That should be above the 2nd to last paragraph

Needy commented about Metro North Mall 6 Theatre on Feb 27, 2009 at 6:42 am

First of all, this is in reference to the theater INSIDE THE MALL, NOT the stand alone theater outside of the mall.

The first commentor was correct. I researched the KC Star and saw that there was a murder. The murderer was 15 year old Derek Clouse who, under orders from his dad, shot his mom during a showing of “Robin Hood: Men In Tights.”

From KC Star on August 11, 1993:
Police took an unidentified 15-year-old boy into custody Tuesday evening after he allegedly shot his mother to death at a Kansas City, North, movie theater.

Witnesses at the Metro North Mall Theater said the teen-ager shot his mother five or six times with a revolver only moments before the 5:20 p.m. showing of “Robin Hood: Men in Tights. ” The 43-year-old Kansas City, North, woman – who suffered wounds to the upper body – was pronounced dead at the scene. Her name had not been released several hours after the shooting, pending notification of relatives.

Police took the youth to the Clay County Juvenile Justice Center for investigation of murder.

Capt. Vince McInerney, a Kansas City Police Department spokesman, said the youth could not be interviewed until juvenile court authorities were present.

McInerney said off-duty police officers working security at the Metro North shopping center, 400 N.W. Barry Road, took the youth into custody.

According to some of the 25 to 30 audience members, three to six shots were fired just as the coming attractions ended.

“I hear this popping noise, and three or four shots went off,” said Rita Moburg of Kansas City, North. She was sitting with her two children in the row of seats in front of the victim.

“I turned around, and I could see sparks coming out,” she said. “Then he took off running. ” Moburg said she covered her children’s faces as the victim, bloody and apparently wounded in the head, slumped behind her.

While an off-duty Kansas City firefighter rushed to the victim, another moviegoer – Blake Sterzinger, 24, a graduate student from Leavenworth – chased and grabbed the teen-ager.

Sterzinger, who was sitting only three feet away, said he saw the “whole thing in front of me, in silhouette; I saw the muzzle flash. ” He said he saw the youth, who was wearing a baseball cap, drop the gun and run toward an exit.

He said he ran after the youth. “It just seemed like the thing to do, I didn’t think about it much, I just acted. ” Sterzinger said he caught the youth, who did not resist, at the doors leading into the theater. He said he restrained the youth and escorted him into the theater lobby.

“He (the youth) shouted to call 911. Those were his first words,” Sterzinger said.

Before authorities arrived, Sterzinger said, he talked to the youth who allegedly said: “I don’t know why I did it. ” Sterzinger said the youth told him that he had stolen the gun from his father and didn’t know it was loaded.

“He was so shocked; he was white as a sheet,” Sterzinger said.

Aaron Udell, a Lenexa teen-ager, had turned around in his seat just before the shooting began.

“I watched him pull out the gun,” said Aaron, 13. “I don’t know why I turned around. ” Aaron said he also saw flashes.

John Donnelly, an off-duty Kansas City firefighter who was sitting near the victim, said he heard “five or six pops. ” “I heard the pops. I thought that at first it was fireworks. ” His wife, Sandra, said she heard someone laughing just before the shots rang out that sounded “inappropriate. ” Moviegoers reacted immediately to the gunshots but didn’t panic.

Some stood and shouted for ushers to stop the film and raise the lights. Others ducked under seats, afraid the gunman would fire randomly.

According to police, the maternal grandparents of the youth and the victim’s husband arrived at the scene shortly after the shooting.

For the next hour, shopping center patrons and moviegoers gathered outside the theaters, watching the manager’s office door, where police held the suspect.

“I can’t believe it was just a young kid,” Moburg said, shaking slightly. “Can you imagine? ”

Here’s a blurb from another article from the KC Star from 1994:
Lawrence Clouse was sentenced to life in prison without parole in December after he coerced his 15-year-old son, Derek Clouse , into killing the boy’s mother. Lawrence and Paula Clouse were in the midst of a bitter divorce when the killing occurred in a Kansas City, North, movie theater in 1993.

Does anyone know exactly WHEN the indoor theater closed down and the outdoor one opened up????? Is this when the mall really started going downhill or when Montgomery Wards closed?

Earlier this year, Derek Clouse pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and was sentenced to life. He could be eligible for parole in about 15 years.