Comments from Orlando

Orlando commented about Angelika 57 on Aug 18, 2017 at 8:28 am

Nice.

Orlando commented about Syosset Triplex on Aug 15, 2017 at 12:27 pm

Tom, I worked in Syosset and the D-150 in 1977 and during that winter’s blizzard, I was “strand"ed for 3 days at the theatre. I lived on pre-popped corn and a couple of Nestle Crunch bars. The M.D. Mr. Logue made sure I was paid for the closed days. At the Syosset, we played "Semi-Tough”, “Pete’s Dragon” and “House Calls” At the Cinema D-150, I remember “Coma” during blizzard, and “The Goodbye Girl” whose credits I never missed because the “Goodbye Girl” theme played as the house curtain closed. 40 years ago, how time flies. I was 21 years young.

Orlando
Orlando commented about United Palace of Cultural Arts on Aug 15, 2017 at 12:15 pm

Thanks C.C. I just love these ads and you add a lot to this sight, and that’s why I still tune in because of people like you.

Orlando commented about Parkway Theater on Aug 15, 2017 at 9:48 am

I visited this theatre when it was closed and not in bad shape. The lounges were downstairs.

Orlando commented about Movieland on Aug 15, 2017 at 9:45 am

When it was Movieland, I played Personal Best here.

Orlando commented about Movieland on Aug 15, 2017 at 9:43 am

In 1967, I saw this at the RKO-Stanley Warner KENMORE.

Orlando commented about Movieland on Aug 15, 2017 at 9:43 am

In 1967, I saw this at the RKO-Stanley Warner KENMORE.

Orlando commented about IN LIKE FLINT on Aug 15, 2017 at 9:40 am

Love the ads, keep ‘em coming. I’m a now a displaced Long Islander now back home in Brooklyn, Thank God!

Orlando commented about ANDY WARHOL'S FRANKENSTEIN on Aug 15, 2017 at 9:33 am

Hello Paul,

I wasn't correcting, just extolling my knowledge.

Orlando commented about Century's Morton Village on Aug 12, 2017 at 10:09 am

To Long Islnd Movies,when will I get an invite to your Plaza theatre, I know that I will have to pay for the popcorn and soda, even the ticket but the tour will be free but you must give it! Ha, ha, ha. I know you didn’t care for M.V,\but that made me next to last manager. Closed in 1985 with “Emerald Forest” and matinees of “Rainbow Brite”. I bought the last ticket sold on closing night. I asked Mata not to tear it. There was a cricket in the theatre which added to the crickets in the movie. That was “Live Effects” first presented here. Closed in 1985. Opened in 1964 with “King Of Kings” with Jeffrey Hunter and would later work at (2014-2017). The Kings of Kings is in Brooklyn, NY.

Orlando commented about Century's Morton Village on Aug 7, 2017 at 10:15 am

PS Wrong address, it was 998 Old Country Road, Plainview.

Orlando commented about Century's Morton Village on Aug 7, 2017 at 10:13 am

While I was posting a comment, it was wiped out by this sight, so I’ll keep it to myself. That is Batman at the Morton Village Theatre. Great place to work at. One of the two I adored. Spent 1980-1983 there. Wonderful staff, Lots of sellouts, no concessions business!

Orlando commented about Casino Theatre on Jul 31, 2017 at 10:36 am

This Casino is not on Church Avenue, as it would have been closer to Flatbush Ave, some doors down from the Flatbush Theatre. Church Avenue runs from Flatbush to Bedford Aves and that puts the theatre near Bedford Ave. which is where the Post Office was and still is. Another point is that there was never an el on Church Avenue. This might be the Casino (Old Montauk, Crescent) on Flatbush Avenue near Fulton Street.

Orlando commented about Kings Theatre on Jul 26, 2017 at 9:54 am

The former Loew’s Kings showed movies, Kings Theatre is performing arts at the average of 50 shows a year,if that many and is dark about 300 days. “Showing Movies” above should be changed to “Performing Arts”.

Orlando commented about BLACK BEARD'S GHOST on Jun 27, 2017 at 2:18 pm

Got this one too! & 22x28 8- 11x14 Stills and a Pressbook and a comic book, ok, several copies..

Orlando commented about CAT O' NINE TAILS on Jun 27, 2017 at 2:14 pm

I have this 14"x36" poster for this film , in pristine condition no less!

Orlando commented about Flatbush Theatre on Jun 7, 2017 at 11:11 am

Last post over 6 years ago. This past Sunday at dusk, I walked past the former Flatbush Theatre Building and the upper windows for the offices are being replaced along with some alterations. I was pleasantly suprised to see the added projection booth with the port holes still in place in the upper rear wall. After 65 years of being closed, a part of the theatre was in still in place. I will try to get a peek. Got some photos… I don’t post. The nighttime construction lights that were on afforded me this view from the past.

Orlando commented about Loew's New Rochelle Theatre on Apr 27, 2017 at 1:03 pm

Is the auditorium being restored in some way or the other?

Orlando commented about Walker Theater on Apr 19, 2017 at 10:58 am

Actually saw the underside of balcony and saw three circular of original plaster plus part of the front side of the balcony left detail upstairs this past Saturday. If the store stays one level, ?, it might remain. Loved to see what I saw for the last time.

Orlando commented about Kings Theatre on Apr 12, 2017 at 11:06 am

To John above, this is not a perfect world so when the box office experiences problems with today’s ticket selling methods, we do our best. Would it be right to start the movie and have people interrupt you while the orchestra is playing. We are not ill-mannered, unprepared inconsiderate staff! Doors open at 7:00 and traffic to the theatre on show nights is heavy. As with most shows PATRONS have no consideration when they show up through the first hour (8-9). and are angry. To those who come late, TOUGH LUCK! The theatre is three times the normal theatre it takes time to seat people. The Jersey deals with unreserved seats and has about 150 persons per movie screening. I’m sorry you had a bad time at Kings Theatre, Had you stayed,the orchestra that played got a standing ovation. There were no complaints as the over 2,500 audience was exiting, why didn’t you say something when you left in the middle of the show??? This doesn’t go for all patrons but “COME EARLY and BE ON TIME. Don’t blame the staff for your woes. There is a management team ready to help you. This is for John, stay in New Jersey and don’t pollute Brooklyn with your presence!

Orlando commented about Loew's Victoria Theatre on Apr 12, 2017 at 10:37 am

As of last week, the Loew’s Victoria is demolished except for the entance lobby. The land that the theatre sat on is leveled to broken bricks laid out evenly. The bricks were from the ROSE Brick Co. I got a whole brick back in August and a half broken brick last week. Headline description should be changed to DEMOLISHED. Asta la vista!

Orlando commented about Georgetowne Twin on Mar 11, 2017 at 10:46 am

Opened in 1970 with “Getting Straight” on 2 screens, on the second week, “Woodstock” went into twin 2. Heading should be changed to…. opened in 1970, (some credit please, in the header. No way was this in the sixties…

Orlando commented about Commodore Cinemas on Mar 8, 2017 at 1:48 pm

Exactly, it’s Brooklyn’s lost Commodore.

Orlando commented about RKO 86th Street Theatre on Feb 27, 2017 at 2:08 pm

The RKO 86th Street wasn’t demolished in 1965 as the heading says, It was closed in late October 1968 with “For Love Of Ivy”. Demolition probably occured in early 1969. The top description should be changed to 1969!

Orlando commented about Loew's 167th Street Theatre on Jan 21, 2017 at 1:12 pm

By 1965, Brandt was runnung the show.