Comments from Orlando

Orlando commented about RKO Hamilton Theatre on Nov 12, 2016 at 8:30 am

The RKO Hamilton closed in March along with the RKO Chester. The RKO Marble Hill changed hands later on and the RKO Palace was sold and closed in July and became a Broadway live theatre which it is 51 years later. Another loss was the RKO Greenpoint. “Harlow” closed the Palace first run and also closed the Greenpoint second run with “Operation C.I.A.”. The Hamilton and the Chester closed with “Send Me No Flowers” and “Taggart” in March 1965.

Orlando commented about RKO Hamilton Theatre on Nov 7, 2016 at 11:32 am

The RKO Hamilton closed in 1965, still an RKO house. Mr Gabel and Mr Lambros haven’t done their research accurately. I have checked and double checked my files for accuracy. Remember Cinema Treasures is as good as the people who contribute to it. All statements should be double checked, but by who?

Orlando commented about South Bay Cinemas on Nov 4, 2016 at 10:33 am

David, you are correct and as of today there is no movie listing on movies.com, a sure fact they have started the renovation, I saw the plans from the operaters and West Babylon is in for a newly reconfigurated multiplex like no other. The interior will be gutted and everything will be brand new. Even the South Bay neon sign will be remounted and be fully illuminated. And I know that the theatre will remain with the policy that has suited it for the past twenty years. Jump with JOY West Babylon and neighboring towns and villages!!!! and that’s the truth!

Orlando
Orlando commented about New York, NY - Harlem’s protracted Victoria Theater redevelopment may move forward on Nov 3, 2016 at 7:46 am

How can the theatre be restored when it is completely gutted and the stagehouse roof taken down exposing the building to outside weather. Workmen told me the building must come down “Brick by brick” and gave me a solid original brick dating from 1916. I also heard on the same day from a very reliable source that the Apollo Theatre will be running or have their go at programming the “supposed” restored theatre. This will probably a renovation of an unseen space at the ground level of the former Victoria Theatre, but it will not resermble the former Loew’s Victoria Movie Palace and seating will be no where near 2,400. From what I saw this day all remnants of Loew’s Victoria were destroyed as was a stairrcase get ready to be taken out and side by side doors leading to the lobby still intact with the two exit signs still in place. My visit was last week.

Orlando commented about Granada Theater on Oct 17, 2016 at 7:52 am

You Bet It Is! Once the curtain rigging failed, the Golden’s left as is. The auditorium color scheme changed during 1971 renovation the fixtures, I called them the “eye orbs” had a red bulb in them during showtime and a white one during intermission. I saw the curtain open and close over 1,000 times after the credits. This picture shows the flat screen, the widescreen went up to the drapes. It was a Panoramic screen installed ahead of many first run theatres. Is there anything anyone wants to know from a 7 year, teenage veteran about this, my first theatre job given to me by Max Schiering in 1969. I left with him in early 1975. Memories Galore!!!

Orlando commented about Loew's 46th Street Theatre on Oct 14, 2016 at 11:30 am

Thanks to my heroic efforts, I was able to get the NYC Dept of Buildings to come down and declare the front facade of the Universal/Loew’s 46th a landmark, therefore part of this structure is going to remain intact and be incorporated into the new building on this site. At least the facade of this magnificent palace will survive for all future generations to see.

Orlando commented about Granada Theater on Oct 12, 2016 at 7:41 am

Someone told me that was a posted picture of the Granada Theatre of the marquee playing the Sicilian Clan and The Kremlin Letter as co-feature. Every week I took a photo of the front and side panels of the marquee, but some how they disappeared. I also have the backlog of the exhibitor ads from 1964 to 1974 that read Granada-Highway-Rugby (Adults $1.00 At All Times) Ads that were the 3 theatrs trademark running Wed, Fri, and Sat in the NY Post (then the best known MovieGuide Listing for the five boroughs) and in the Brooklyn addition of the Daily News. I hope no one is using my lost Granada photos in this listing as I have all the negatives which I never redeveloped.

Orlando commented about Granada Theater on Oct 12, 2016 at 7:32 am

The Granada closed July 30, 1982. It was first run at the time under the RKO-Century banner. It was still doing very good business at its' closing time but (ALMI) wanted to unload the theatre for the land price (which was $250,000 including the theatre) a mere pittance in today’s market. The same operated Albemarle went soon after.

Orlando commented about Embassy Theatre on Oct 6, 2016 at 8:53 am

This theatre was also demolished.

Orlando commented about Victory Theatre on Oct 6, 2016 at 8:50 am

This theatre was demolished over 25 years ago, I was in Bayonne yesterday and it is now a full block Shop-Rite with underground parking! Time to change the heading.

Orlando commented about Garden Theatre on Sep 14, 2016 at 8:18 am

This Garden Theatre is on N.U. Avenue, notice the El tracks on top of picture and thesupport on the right. Next to Loew’s 46th Street. Accross.

Orlando
Orlando commented about Providence Performing Arts Center on Sep 12, 2016 at 7:56 am

On B&W photo listed for 1965, it’s actually 1971 when Walt Disney’s “moneymaker” “$1,000,000 Duck” opened in theatres. Tony Roberts, star of the movie said it was a box office smash after a Broadway performance.

Orlando
Orlando commented about Providence Performing Arts Center on Sep 12, 2016 at 7:52 am

Disney’s “Million Dollar Duck” came out in 1970-71, making this photo later than 1965.

Orlando commented about Amityville Theatre on Sep 10, 2016 at 7:38 am

This theatre was not demolished but converted to office space. It had been twinned in late 1980. You can eliminate demolished from the heading for this theatre.

Orlando commented about Kings Theatre on Sep 6, 2016 at 10:33 am

The organ is in ivory with gold trimmings,sorry for the typo.

Orlando commented about Kings Theatre on Sep 6, 2016 at 10:29 am

The house lights are now fully lit and are on a dimmer. This happened during the first 6 months and was corrected. Remember all the lobby tubular light fixtures were not replaced also decreasing the beauty of the entrance lobby. However, some great news, the Robert Morton Organ console is now (as of 9/1/2017) on display in the rear promenade, fully restored inioory and gold trimmings. I have photos, but as an employee, I am prohibited from posting them here. IT IS SPECTACULAR to see it up close. So, come on down and see a show, look or ask for me, and as a paying guest, I’ll give you a short history. PLEASE change seating count to 3,398. Thank You and I’ll see you at Kings Theatre. TODAY the Loew’s Kings Theatre turns 87 years old. Happy Birthday to my baby!

Orlando commented about Loew's Victoria Theatre on Aug 25, 2016 at 8:46 am

I went to the Loew’s Victoria and the tryphons are still atop the facade. While this one goes, the Apollo next door is more stunning than ever. All new neon and other innovations. A beauty at night in neon. The Alahambra is also being fixed up (the Ballroom) and other amenities as stores, etc. etc. Lobby has been gutted and who knows what the auditorium looks like. 125th Street is getting a major overhaul (unlike Flatbush Avenue between Empire Blvd. to the Junction). Alas, only Thomas White Lambs Victoria Theatre will be gone. Money Talks and the monolith tower that will rise there is most unfitting to this block.

Orlando commented about Loew's 46th Street Theatre on Aug 25, 2016 at 8:32 am

To above, the four walls and roof are still there. True it will be demolished in a short time, but it is NOT demolished yet. It is demolished when the interior steelwork walls and all are gone and is a vacant lot. When a friend mine told me it was demolished, I told him it was a figment of someone’s imagination having seen it this past Monday 8-22-2016. Let’s not rush and put demolished in the heading, some may still want to see the facade. Adios, for now.

Orlando commented about Shore Theatre on Aug 19, 2016 at 8:42 am

I saw workmen bringing in some materials through a door which is the left side of the exterior entrance. There was one outer lobby postercase in poor condition and the cement work under the area over the boxoffice (demolished) that was quite intact but in cement form and unpainted. Work is about to start here soon.

Orlando commented about Loew's Victoria Theatre on Aug 19, 2016 at 8:25 am

The two murals have been pulvarized. Demo inside first, then outside.

Orlando commented about Kings Theatre on Aug 18, 2016 at 10:24 am

The tours are not worth the price and travel. New management have no idea of the neighborhood or the “history of the Loew’s Kings”. They only discuss the renovation of the KIngs Theatre. The tours are also very short. Instead of the tour, come and see a show and view the theatre at the same time. It’s the best way. Beleive me, I know!

Orlando commented about Kings Theatre on Aug 18, 2016 at 10:17 am

The screen for Star Wars was 30' wide and 17' tall. As a kid I remember it as 36' wide and 20' tall. Yet, it looked great.

Orlando commented about Loew's Victoria Theatre on Aug 18, 2016 at 10:01 am

Interior demolition continues, a worker told me historic ledgers from Loew’s, marquee letters, seats (aisle standards from balcony were trashed into the dumpsters behind the building. NYCB permits show full demolition, however new photos of facade show a vertical sign saying Hotel Victoria (nice). A man walking by cried and I asked if he was OK. He said his mother brought him to the Loew’s Victoria in the 1950’s and he was sad that it was being demolished. Very, very sad! The hotel could have been built between 2nd & 3rd Avenue where a empty Pathmark sits. Who’s running the show, “Big pockets” who don’t care about history! The Victoria should have been saved on this three theatre block. It Could have beeb “the Kings” of Harlem.

Orlando commented about Kings Theatre on Aug 8, 2016 at 8:57 am

The Sound Of Movies commenced at 2 PM as the Star Wars was to presented at the former Loew’s Kings. This is the first movies presented since August 30, 1977 when the theatre closed. Yes, 39 years later (shy three weeks). I was in heaven as I sat center balcony and saw all three films. This once in a lifetime event is not likely to be repeated as films are not on the Kings menu. Where were all you people who shouted to save the Kings and now that it’s open never showed up?

Orlando commented about Loew's 72nd Street Theatre on Jun 1, 2016 at 10:07 am

Wonderful photo, “Thank You Very Much” wish THSA would do the same.