Comments from Scott

Scott commented about McVickers Theater on Oct 18, 2017 at 3:17 pm

I’m sure your question is rhetorical, but it is the Chicago just prior to opening.

Scott commented about Merle Reskin Theatre on Oct 3, 2017 at 3:15 pm

It would be interesting to know what other movies played there, if any. Regardless, I agree that the evidence is sufficient to list this as a Cinema Treasure.

Scott commented about Merle Reskin Theatre on Oct 3, 2017 at 12:31 pm

If we could find that projector it would likely validate the Blackstone being listed on this site. Maybe it’s still in the theatre somewhere.

Scott commented about Merle Reskin Theatre on Oct 2, 2017 at 1:57 pm

Comfortably Cool – okay, it showed one movie. I don’t see the calamity with listing this theatre here. It’s certainly more of a treasure than most mall cinemas. Also, I’ve never been in the place but I’m wondering if it has, or had, a projection room? Not sure how that would have been handled back in 1910, or 1919 when the one movie was shown. I guess if just one movie was shown they must have set up a temporary projector somehow.

Scott commented about Merle Reskin Theatre on Oct 2, 2017 at 8:03 am

And yet, if this entry is deleted, all that great research you did will go to waste. And future wannabe theatre connoisseurs perusing this site will never know that the Blackstone did indeed show at least a few movies over its long life.

Scott commented about Chicago Theatre on Sep 22, 2017 at 11:03 am

Howard, you got me. Wrong composer. I meant the Chopin Theatre. The memory isn’t what it used to be.

Scott commented about Chicago Theatre on Sep 21, 2017 at 2:51 pm

Chicago has a few grand old theatres still showing movies but none, to my knowledge, that have done so continuously since opening. Some that are showing movies are the Logan, Patio, Portage, Music Box, and Davis. The Biograph also presents film occasionally, though that is no longer its principle function. Plus, its interior has been gutted so it doesn’t really meet your criteria. And all these theatres have been closed for various periods over the last 20-30 years or so. There are others that have the capability to show movies but seldom do so, such as the Copernicus Center (Gateway) and the Chicago Theatre. There are a couple others that are showing movies now but did not do so for many years, either because they were closed or were being used for other purposes, such as the Mozart and the Mercury.

Scott commented about Orpheum Theatre on Aug 7, 2017 at 2:40 pm

I don’t believe this is of the Orpheum in Springfield. It looks nothing like it. Nice theatre though.

Scott
Scott commented about Tower Drive-In aerial photo in 1957 on Aug 2, 2017 at 8:52 am

I would think that the people driving north on the bridge at the left of the picture would have had a great view of the movie screen.

Scott commented about Brooklyn Paramount Theatre on Jun 28, 2017 at 12:13 pm

Thanks for the link Mark. That’s what I was looking for. I’m getting the feeling that they will cover over what is missing, and not replace the loge and missing balcony areas. Hope I’m wrong, but getting a bad feeling. At least it will be a theatre again.

Scott commented about Brooklyn Paramount Theatre on Jun 28, 2017 at 10:14 am

No doubt they can restore it, but I was just curious if they’ve provided detail on the project, particularly the auditorium, or any renderings, etc. I’m not just assuming this will be a Kings-like restoration, though I sure hope it is.

Scott commented about Brooklyn Paramount Theatre on Jun 28, 2017 at 7:23 am

I haven’t seen much in the way of specifics on the planned renovation. Have any of the announcements touched on whether they plan to restore the balcony, loge and other areas of the auditorium that were lost when it was converted to a gymnasium? Obviously, a lot of the original plasterwork is gone, so replacing it would be a significant task.

Scott commented about Kings Theatre on Apr 12, 2017 at 9:49 am

Yeah, not exactly the Marcus Loew philosophy.

Scott commented about Granada Theatre on Apr 2, 2017 at 5:47 am

On March 30, 2017 it was announced that the Granada has been sold to the owners of the Watseka Theatre in Watseka, IL. Their plan is to restore it and present the same type of shows they do at the Watseka. See link below for story from The Dalles Chronicle.

Scott commented about Rosecrans Drive-In on Mar 30, 2017 at 8:52 am

Apparently it was on Rosecrans Avenue. Good thing there isn’t a Rosecrans CA with a Paramount Theatre. It might get confusing.

Scott commented about Paradise Theater on Mar 21, 2017 at 9:48 am

Bobby, I don’t remember the robot, unfortunately. But for some reason I remember buying a camera there for 75 cents, and it took great pictures! Lots of wonderful toys there. I’m glad there was no Amazon back then. As for the Paradise, I think we’re lucky it hung around as long as it did. My understanding is that it had been losing money for many years.

Scott commented about Paradise Theater on Mar 8, 2017 at 10:37 am

Right. It’s the Goldblatt’s site, not the store, which is long gone. I loved that place, especially the candy counter and the toy department.

Scott commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Mar 8, 2017 at 10:20 am

There wasn’t any plan that included the return of the Keith’s to some sort of theater use, correct? The best case was that the lobby would be retained in the new development. At least that’s my recollection.

Scott
Scott commented about The rich history and fantastic theaters of Graven & Mayger, a forgotten architecture duo on Sep 16, 2016 at 10:06 am

The first picture is the Tennessee Theatre (still open) in Knoxville, TN. The third picture shows the Fisher Theatre in Detroit, prior to its “renovation” in 1961.

Scott commented about Paramount Theatre on Sep 16, 2016 at 9:34 am

Agreed. Looks like a real gem. Wish there was more information and photos. The auditorium, what we can see of it, is stunning! Can’t believe they let this one get away.

Scott commented about Royal Theatre on Sep 15, 2016 at 3:16 pm

So do any remnants of this theatre still exist? In particular, is the auditorium still there?

Scott
Scott commented about Streator, IL - Will the show ever go on at Majestic Theater? on Jun 14, 2016 at 9:52 am

So this property could be picked up for about $30K? I wonder how much it needs in repairs?

Scott commented about Joy Theatre on Apr 19, 2016 at 3:01 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Z-shaped lot. Sounds like a challenge for an architect.

Scott commented about Uptown Theatre on Apr 6, 2016 at 4:57 pm

David, I believe you’re correct about JAM being the only one at the sale. However, at the time I was thinking that their interest was really in controlling the property, rather than spearheading a renovation. I am probably wrong about that, but it is curious nothing has happened with the theatre since. I realize there are a myriad of hurdles standing in the way of re-development, none of which are JAM’s fault. The Uptown Theatre is an incredible building with a multitude of factors working against it.

Scott commented about Uptown Theatre on Apr 6, 2016 at 9:55 am

Hi Bobby. I suspect you’re right about JAM expecting government assistance from a combination of city, state, or federal programs. I also suspect, though I have nothing to back it up, that JAM wanted the Uptown to keep other players, such as Livent, from getting a major foothold in the Uptown neighborhood. A restored Uptown Theatre could divert some shows away from JAM’s Aragon Ballroom and Riviera Theatre, which would threaten their viability.