Comments from Scott

Scott commented about Riviera Theatre on Aug 29, 2020 at 5:19 pm

This shows the Majestic in Houston,TX, and not the Riviera in Detroit.

Scott commented about Riviera Theatre on Aug 29, 2020 at 5:18 pm

This shows the Majestic in Houston,TX, and not the Riviera in Detroit.

Scott commented about Gary Theater on Aug 23, 2020 at 9:31 am

Apparently, at least for a brief time, this was known as the Moe Theatre. I have uploaded a postcard view from a card postmarked in 1916.

Scott commented about Mac Theatre on Jul 29, 2020 at 5:28 pm

Either the description of this theatre at the top is not completely accurate, or there were two Mascot theatres. There was a Mascot Theatre in the 200 block (one block south of the Mac Theatre), same side of the street. It was on the corner, next to the current Western Rancher boot store. I have posted a 1920s postcard view which proves this. Both the Western Rancher and old Mascot Theatre buildings are identifiable in the postcard, and both buildings still exist, or at least are in the Google street view. Perhaps at some point the Mascot Theatre moved to where the Mac Theatre currently sits, and was then remodeled into the Mac Theatre?

Scott commented about Majestic Theatre on Oct 25, 2019 at 1:15 pm

If you’re a fan of the Majestic and haven’t seen the color photos at the link below, they are worth checking out. Make sure to scroll down as there are photos at the bottom of the page as well.

Scott commented about Orpheum Theatre on Oct 10, 2019 at 4:31 pm

This doesn’t look like the lobby of the Memphis Orpheum to me.

Scott
Scott commented about Paramount Theatre Downtown just after closing of theatre. on Sep 7, 2019 at 2:55 pm

I think the question is “tobe or not tobe?”

Scott commented about Birmingham Theatre on Aug 16, 2019 at 9:57 am

It was an attractive building with cool signage, but that marquee is kind of boring, especially for the time (1927).

Scott commented about Uptown Theatre on Apr 12, 2019 at 5:29 pm

What? I thought the financing for the $75M renovation was already earmarked? What happened to that? Last summer they announced that $75M had been granted from various sources to fund the renovation. What am I missing?

Scott
Scott commented about Larger version courtesy of the Rogers Park/West Ridge Historical Society. on Apr 12, 2019 at 5:18 pm

In terms of beauty we’re not exactly talking murder’s row here.

Scott
Scott commented about ROOSEVELT Theatre; Chicago, Illinois. on Mar 28, 2019 at 12:28 pm

Any idea why there was a parade on State Street during the 2nd week of May?

Scott commented about Uptown Theatre on Dec 14, 2018 at 2:33 pm

That is interesting Bobby. I wasn’t aware that a liquor license was involved. I walked by the Granada one Saturday afternoon in 1985 or 1986 and saw that one of the front doors was partially open, with a large hose running out of the building into the street. It was draining water out from somewhere in the theater. I tentatively went inside and looked around, expecting to get yelled at by someone for being in there. But I never saw anyone. I just walked around all over the first floor, not venturing up to the second level. It was spooky being in there, but it was really an amazing experience. The Granada was very much like the Marbro, and just as irreplaceable. I’m grateful this isn’t happening to the Uptown. I toured the Uptown in the late 80s with a THS group, and there was very little lighting once you got past the main lobby. That also got pretty spooky when we got to the upper levels.

Scott commented about Uptown Theatre on Dec 3, 2018 at 5:23 pm

The Marbro was incredible indeed. The demise of its near-twin, the Granada, was particularly tragic, because that theater could have succeeded. It was in a good location (I thought) and was in decent condition before they purposely let it fall into ruin. Very similar to what happened in St. Louis to the Ambassador. Fortunately, the Uptown survived, or has to this point at least. I’m sure that its relatively high demolition cost helped fend off development.

Scott commented about Uptown Theatre on Dec 2, 2018 at 5:35 pm

Yes Bobby, it should be exciting. Seems like a million years ago when I saw a movie there in the mid-60s. Only went there once when it was a movie theatre. At that time it was still in pretty good shape, still had most of its artwork and furnishings. I guess its history is similar to that of the Kings in Brooklyn, though I don’t believe the Kings had a run as a concern venue as did the Uptown. With respect to the North Side houses, as much as I love the Uptown, I was more taken with the Belmont. Went there once in the late 50s or early 60s. I thought that place was magical, and fun to roam around in. The North Side had some incredible venues.

Scott commented about Uptown Theatre on Nov 30, 2018 at 1:30 pm

It’s still a mystery to me. Nevertheless, an interesting photo.

Scott commented about Uptown Theatre on Nov 29, 2018 at 9:29 am

David Zornig – you may be correct about the photo, but if that view is looking west, I don’t see how the Green Mill could be on the left. That would be where the auditorium currently sits. Perhaps the Green Mill is at the lower left, mostly out of camera view? Whatever is casting a shadow on the Uptown’s lobby wall in the 1925 photo is much closer to Broadway than is the chimney in the construction photo. Okay, maybe I’m over-analyzing this.

Scott commented about Uptown Theatre on Nov 28, 2018 at 6:52 pm

Is the view in the photo looking north from the Green Mill? Broadway would be to the right?

Scott commented about James M. Nederlander Theatre on Nov 14, 2018 at 12:33 pm

Thank goodness the “patronizing, objectifying and offensive” name of “Oriental” is being replaced. That has bothered me for decades. I recall that in the early years B&K called it the Oriental because they claimed that going to the theater was like taking a trip to the Orient. How insensitive they were. Really, I don’t care what they call it. I’m just glad it still exists.

Scott commented about Colonial Theatre on Nov 12, 2018 at 3:36 pm

There certainly is a lot of confusion in this world. And then a good chunk of the Delaware was destroyed for construction of the new Masonic Temple Building/Oriental Theatre in 1924. Viewing it both before and after 1924, one might think it to be two different buildings. Crazy.

Scott commented about Colonial Theatre on Nov 12, 2018 at 3:07 pm

I thought the date of 1874 just referred to the date the Delaware Building on the corner was completed, since the photo is really about the Delaware, not the Colonial Theatre. Perhaps if “1874” was inside the parentheses there would be no confusion.

Scott commented about St. Charles Stadium 18 Cine' on Sep 21, 2018 at 5:51 pm

You could try calling them.

Scott commented about Little Theatre on Jul 11, 2018 at 9:27 am

It doesn’t appear that “the government” closed this theatre, so your assertion that you are being forced back into the closet is baseless.

Scott commented about 1940 on Jun 26, 2018 at 12:49 pm

Neat photo, but it’s from 1936.

Scott commented about RKO Albee Theatre on Dec 22, 2017 at 6:18 pm

This is the Albee Theatre in Cincinnati.

Scott commented about Granada Theatre on Nov 28, 2017 at 4:51 pm

I was accepted at Loyola and almost went there right after high school. After they tore down the Granada I was glad I had decided not to attend.