Comments from Scott

Scott commented about Kings Theatre on Apr 12, 2017 at 9:49 am

Yeah, not exactly the Marcus Loew philosophy.

Scott commented about Granada Theatre on Apr 2, 2017 at 5:47 am

On March 30, 2017 it was announced that the Granada has been sold to the owners of the Watseka Theatre in Watseka, IL. Their plan is to restore it and present the same type of shows they do at the Watseka. See link below for story from The Dalles Chronicle.

Scott commented about Rosecrans Drive-In on Mar 30, 2017 at 8:52 am

Apparently it was on Rosecrans Avenue. Good thing there isn’t a Rosecrans CA with a Paramount Theatre. It might get confusing.

Scott commented about Paradise Theater on Mar 21, 2017 at 9:48 am

Bobby, I don’t remember the robot, unfortunately. But for some reason I remember buying a camera there for 75 cents, and it took great pictures! Lots of wonderful toys there. I’m glad there was no Amazon back then. As for the Paradise, I think we’re lucky it hung around as long as it did. My understanding is that it had been losing money for many years.

Scott commented about Paradise Theater on Mar 8, 2017 at 10:37 am

Right. It’s the Goldblatt’s site, not the store, which is long gone. I loved that place, especially the candy counter and the toy department.

Scott commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Mar 8, 2017 at 10:20 am

There wasn’t any plan that included the return of the Keith’s to some sort of theater use, correct? The best case was that the lobby would be retained in the new development. At least that’s my recollection.

Scott commented about Paradise Theater on Sep 30, 2016 at 8:01 am

Have uploaded a photo of the Paradise that, until recently, I had never seen before.

Scott
Scott commented about The rich history and fantastic theaters of Graven & Mayger, a forgotten architecture duo on Sep 16, 2016 at 10:06 am

The first picture is the Tennessee Theatre (still open) in Knoxville, TN. The third picture shows the Fisher Theatre in Detroit, prior to its “renovation” in 1961.

Scott commented about Paramount Theatre on Sep 16, 2016 at 9:34 am

Agreed. Looks like a real gem. Wish there was more information and photos. The auditorium, what we can see of it, is stunning! Can’t believe they let this one get away.

Scott commented about Royal Theatre on Sep 15, 2016 at 3:16 pm

So do any remnants of this theatre still exist? In particular, is the auditorium still there?

Scott
Scott commented about Streator, IL - Will the show ever go on at Majestic Theater? on Jun 14, 2016 at 9:52 am

So this property could be picked up for about $30K? I wonder how much it needs in repairs?

Scott commented about Joy Theatre on Apr 19, 2016 at 3:01 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Z-shaped lot. Sounds like a challenge for an architect.

Scott commented about Uptown Theatre on Apr 8, 2016 at 3:46 pm

I didn’t realize the Rialto Square Theatre relied, in part, on tax revenue. I love the place but I don’t see why the government should be funding the operation of a theatre. I know many theatres are owned and operated by municipalities, but I assumed they were largely, or completely, self-sustaining.

Scott commented about Uptown Theatre on Apr 6, 2016 at 4:57 pm

David, I believe you’re correct about JAM being the only one at the sale. However, at the time I was thinking that their interest was really in controlling the property, rather than spearheading a renovation. I am probably wrong about that, but it is curious nothing has happened with the theatre since. I realize there are a myriad of hurdles standing in the way of re-development, none of which are JAM’s fault. The Uptown Theatre is an incredible building with a multitude of factors working against it.

Scott commented about Uptown Theatre on Apr 6, 2016 at 9:55 am

Hi Bobby. I suspect you’re right about JAM expecting government assistance from a combination of city, state, or federal programs. I also suspect, though I have nothing to back it up, that JAM wanted the Uptown to keep other players, such as Livent, from getting a major foothold in the Uptown neighborhood. A restored Uptown Theatre could divert some shows away from JAM’s Aragon Ballroom and Riviera Theatre, which would threaten their viability.

Scott commented about Uptown Theatre on Apr 5, 2016 at 4:32 pm

No doubt JAM has tax deductible expenses associated with the Uptown, but it doesn’t make sense to keep a property like this just to have deductible expenses. It’s better not to have the expense in the first place. I have questioned JAM’s intentions with the Uptown since they won the bid to purchase the theatre in 2008.

Scott commented about Paradise Theater on Apr 5, 2016 at 3:02 pm

I am curious what your source is for the $5 million price tag? My understanding is that the cost was around $1.5 million, though I don’t know if that included the adjoining storefronts that were part of the project.

Scott commented about Capitol Theatre on Apr 5, 2016 at 2:50 pm

I thought the RKO International 70 was the Palace Theatre on 6th Street?

Scott commented about Orpheum Theater on Mar 27, 2016 at 9:18 am

What an odd auditorium. Don’t recall ever seeing boxes running along the front of a balcony. Interesting design. Too bad it didn’t survive the 1960s.

Scott
Scott commented about Theatre Gems: Act Two: A Look at Birmingham, Alabama’s Historic Theaters on Jan 5, 2016 at 4:32 am

The Alabama Theatre was influenced by art deco designs? I’m not seeing that. And the Chicago Theatre was certainly not an example of art deco. The art deco style had not yet emerged at the time of the Chicago’s opening in 1921. And who was “May” West?

Scott commented about Esquire Theatre on Aug 30, 2015 at 9:31 pm

Beware – post above by kitsravi is spam.

Scott commented about Elwood Theatre on Aug 19, 2015 at 12:03 pm

Looks like a downtown full of parking lots. Lovely.

Scott commented about Stanley Theater on Aug 17, 2015 at 10:47 am

The Pinterest photo, which is the same as the one uploaded here, is from 1924.

Scott
Scott commented about ORPHEUM Theatre, Madison, Wisconsin, 2011. on Jul 31, 2015 at 7:21 am

Hopefully they changed the sign to “Gov Scott Walker starring in How to Prevail Over the Big Government Freedom-Hating Union-Loving Lefties.”

Scott commented about Senate Theater on Jul 29, 2015 at 10:22 am

I remember when this theatre burned down. But can’t recall for sure if it had already closed. Seems like it was still operating when it caught fire.