Comments from Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez

Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez
Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez commented about North Star Drive-In on Apr 17, 2015 at 8:35 pm

I’m standing with John Templeton in the booth of Chem-140 on the CU Boulder campus right now (Mr. Templeton’s current venue) reading the comments and he says that sure looks like the North Star he ran (off and on from ‘73-'84-when the Norelcos were replaced with a pair of Simplex 35s from some theatre in Greeley and installed by him and Jimmy Seay) and while that is North Star Booth that is NOT John in the picture but John thinks it’s Art Lane in the picture in the link. Those were NOT the DP70s but the AA2 Norelcos with the Strong Jetarc Lamphouses. There was a third machine on the right (not pictured was a Simplex XL with a high speed intermittent and a Strong Constellation 170 lamp that was used to start the show early with cartoons and trailers).The Norelcos were split up after their removal from the North Star-one went to The Arvada Plaza 6 (west of 80th and Wadsworth) and he believes the other went to a 6-plex southeast of Denver (the name escapes him presently). He says that the Jetarcs had many issues and frequently went down. Much of this comment was per his dictation. Mr. Templeton is, in himself, a “Cinema Treasure” as he has been a union operator since 1974, working most theatres that existed in the Denver and Boulder Metro Area in his career. I’m proud to call him my second dad and have encouraged him to get on this site and contribute his many memories.

Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez
Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez commented about Prairie Theater on Apr 15, 2015 at 11:24 pm

I’m pretty sure it is a twin, trolleyguy. See the Boxoffoce Magazine article o posted about its twinning in the photos section.

It was also part of the Evergreen Theatres chain and this should be added to the list of past operators.

Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez
Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez commented about Buckingham 6 on Apr 13, 2015 at 12:15 pm

This theatre is closed and demolished-not open for sure

Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez
Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez commented about Havana Drive-In on Apr 13, 2015 at 11:41 am

I was told today by a longtime local tech that this theatre was NEVER a Wolfberg/Compass and my source that thought it was isn’t too sure. I cannot find anything indicating it was one of theirs with the exception of some other CT comments and a few other iffy mentions in the Internet. further info on this would be great.

Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez
Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez commented about Mt. Union Theatre on Apr 12, 2015 at 10:44 pm

Marsch Theatres should be added to the list of previous operators

Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez
Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez commented about Mt. Union Theatre on Apr 12, 2015 at 10:43 pm

Tickets from Wallace Theatres ownership-back

Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez
Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez commented about Aloha Theatre on Apr 12, 2015 at 1:26 pm

Was originally the Tanimoto Theatre. Should be added to the list of previous names

Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez
Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez commented about N. Division Drive-In on Apr 12, 2015 at 12:21 pm

If memory serves, there were more drives-ins than just the Auto Vue and (presumably) the N. Division on N. Division Street. According to an old raffle ticket I have that lists the 6 Spokane drive-ins participating in it (see photos), the N. Division was separate from the Auto Vue and any of the others. Some further info would be awesome.

Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez
Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez commented about Art Cinema on Apr 11, 2015 at 1:58 pm

The Varsity Theatre was opened by Fox Intermountain Theatres in 1941. It was closed around 1960, and remained shuttered until 1970, when it reopened as the Art Cinema.

Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez
Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez commented about West Colfax Drive-In on Apr 11, 2015 at 1:58 pm

Was once part of the Highland Theatres chain. Should be added to the list of previous operators.

Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez
Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez commented about Flatirons Theatre on Apr 11, 2015 at 1:55 pm

Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez
Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez commented about Motorena Drive-In on Apr 11, 2015 at 1:50 pm

Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez
Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez commented about Holiday Drive-In on Apr 11, 2015 at 1:31 pm

Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez
Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez commented about Holiday Drive-In on Apr 11, 2015 at 1:26 pm

Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez
Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez commented about Monaco Drive In on Apr 11, 2015 at 1:20 pm

Was part of the Compass Drive-In Theatres/Wolfberg Theatres chain. Should be added to previous operators.

Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez
Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez commented about THEATRE CALENDAR 1987 on Apr 11, 2015 at 11:34 am

October 1987 calendar

Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez
Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez commented about Isis Theatre on Apr 11, 2015 at 10:25 am

January 1986 calendar

Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez
Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez commented about Paonia Drive-In on Apr 10, 2015 at 10:33 am

General view of Paonia calendar

Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez
Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez commented about Capitol Theater on Apr 10, 2015 at 10:06 am

Capitol calendar

Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez
Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez commented about Flagler Theater on Apr 10, 2015 at 10:05 am

Flagler calendar

Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez
Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez commented about Tampa Pitcher Show on Apr 9, 2015 at 5:31 pm

Wow-maybe I’m missing something, maybe the extremely negative (albeit, ancient) comments are directed at a different theatre someone had in mind or maybe the author(s) of these comments have some underlying agenda against this theatre and/or its management/owner because after doing a whopping 5 minutes of Google research, I have determined with 100% certainty that this theatre is not only a bona-fide movie theatre but an extremely unique one at that. I’ve never been to this theatre (or city, or state for that matter) and stumbled upon this listing purely by accident however the said comments intrigued me enough to take a closer look. There is a screen (no TVs in sight), a professionally decorated auditorium (albeit tables instead of fixed seating which makes perfect sense, given the venue), it’s been around for well over 30 years, had/has 35mm projection,went through the same struggle as all the rest regarding digital conversion, etc. Assuming that the negative author isn’t thinking of someplace else and/or doesn’t have an underlying agenda against this place, it does bring up a very interesting question: what is a movie theatre? What is a cinema treasure? To me, and I’d imagine most of us, it’s a venue that shows motion pictures to the public for entertainment (and sometimes, education/enlightenment) while respecting copyright laws. Period. It’s a beloved place (with or without walls) where people gather together to watch movies, regardless of the quality of the location, it’s facilities, staff, showmanship, etc. Not every theatre is The Radio City Music Hall or Bengies Drive-In. Of course, any who know me personally or have kept track of my photo uploads, theatre uploads and comments can easily attest to the fact that while I cherish the undeniable majesty of the great movie palace and find its demise despicable, nothing fascinates me quite like that little 120 seat movie house in population 200 West Virginia that only lasted from 1935-1950 or that haphazardly built and operated 200 car drive-in built in 1975 in the worst part of Chicago that only lasted long enough for the land to gain enough value for development.

My taste, of course, is mine alone, and not something I expect or demand anyone else to share but my definition of a theatre, a cinema treasure and the respect I demand for all of them is what’s correct and something that anyone & everyone who claims a love for theatres should share.

While I usually don’t post photos that are not my own or of my own artifacts (unless it is a particularly rare photo of a particularly rare theatre that would not be represented otherwise), least of all, one that is still operating, I am going to post a couple restriction-free ones I snagged off Google simply to clear this theatre’s name. I will also try to post the links to a few articles about it in a future comment.

Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez
Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez commented about Sondra Theater on Apr 9, 2015 at 10:16 am

Something appears to be wrong with this listing-if you search Trimble, TN on the site, the town comes up but says that there are no theatres listed. If you search for Sondra Theatre, you get the same result. The only way I personally can get to this listing is by Googling it. Any idea what’s going on?

Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez
Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez commented about South Drive-In on Apr 9, 2015 at 9:48 am

Was part of the Wolfberg Theatres/Compass Drive-In Theatres chain. Should be added to the list of previous operators.

Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez
Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez commented about South Drive-In on Apr 9, 2015 at 9:47 am

Was part of the Wolfberg Theatres/Compass Drive-In Theatres chain.

Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez
Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez commented about Wadsworth Indoor Drive-In on Apr 9, 2015 at 8:39 am

The 5100 Wadsworth address that was on the duplicate listing for this theatre that was recently remove is, I believe, much more likely the correct/closer to correct address than the 5050 that is listed here now. The listings for this theatre on Cinematour and drive-ins.com also have 5100 as the address. One long time union operator in the area who worked several shifts here says that one of the exit/entrance ramps to I-70 from Wadsworth sits on part of the old theatre site. I’m not presently able to find an address on any of my artifacts, documents or ephemera or online that provides and address for the theatre. Does anyone have access to a source to verify the address?

Also, there was a really cool old arial veiw of the theatre that was on the duplicate listing but unfortunately, it doesn’t seem like it was moved over here. Is it stil available that someone can repost it?

Last but not least, this was an old Wolberg Theatres/Compass Drive-In Theatres and the description/ previous operators part of this listing should be updated to reflect this.