Showing 1 - 25 of 110 comments
Sal-Mar Shop, a fashion store operated by longtime Fox owners Sally and Marie Sawaya
The original Orpheum, that was on this very same site (1537 Welton Street in those days) opened in October of 1903 at the cost of $200,000. It was completely demolished in 1930 and was subsequently replaced with the last Orpheum to occupy the site which opened on February 11th, 1932.
Obviously, this existing description needs to be changed and a few of the photos are of the original Orpheum while a few are from the new.
How should this be handled-a case where a theater was closed, demolished and completely rebuilt as a theater with the same name. Should a new listing for the old Orpheum be created? What do you all think???
From The Saturday Evening, November 9th, 1907 Denver Times
This theatre has been demolished within the past several months as part of the mall redevelopment. STATUS SHOULD BE CHANGED TO CLOSED/DEMOLISHED.
Was this theatre known at one time as the Hallandale Drive-In and located to the west side of the Hollywood Dog Track?
There is no remaining trace of the theater now that the projection/snack bar/manager’s house building and the box office have been demolished within the past couple years. Status should be changed to closed/demolished.
Recent comments (view all 1 comments)
Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez on December 2, 2014 at 6:51 pm (remove)
The theater should be listed as CLOSED and DEMOLISHED. Its final day of operation was Sunday, July 20th 2014 and the last movie to play in the theater was a 4:40pm screening of “Tammy”. “How To Train Your Dragon 2” was another of the closing day films. The theater was demolished on August 1st, 2014. The theater was closed/demolished due to the fact that the entire Twin Peaks Mall was closed and demolished for redevelopment of a new mall. Regal plans to be opening a 12 screen theater with an RPX screen sometime in December 2015 on the site. The theater was built/opened in 1997 and had completely converted to digital in recent years. The Simplex 35mm projectors were donated to The University of Colorado, Boulder’s Film Studies Department and two of them have been reinstalled in the Visual Arts Center’s auditorium.
Before United Artists bought him out, the theater was owned by K-Theatres, headed by Longmont local Dick Klein who also owned the Trojan Theatre (now Longmont Performing Arts Center), Plaza Theatre, Courtyard Four Theatres and Star Vu Drive-In in town.
The last 35mm film to play at The Boulder was “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” on Friday, October 17th, 2014. Doors opened at 7:30pm, live preshow entertainment/activities typical of RHPS screenings occurred between 8:00 and 8:45pm and film hit the screen at 8:45pm. Projectionists were Mr. John Templeton (a union projectionist/stage hand/audio engineer since December 11th, 1973 and projectionist at The Boulder since March of
1973) and myself, Mr. Anthony L. Vazquez-Hernandez (projectionist for over 15 years and union projectionist since 2007, projectionist at The Boulder since March of 2007). Theater was sold out. I literally just tore out the booth with Mr. Templeton less than an hour ago (Monday, October 20th, 2014 9:45am-12:30pm). The booth will be used in the foreseeable future for spotlights and a DCP system will also be brought in occasionally for film festivals and special screenings. All other cinema screenings will be presented on a non-permanent, small digital projector and Bluray/DVD player mounted downstairs at the sound rack.
Went digital summer of 2014
Promotional tape measure from former Windsor Theater business partner Ted Knox’s theater supply company.
Backing view of carpet installed in the Wondsor Theater in 1954
Unused original remnant of carpet installed in Windsor Theater in 1954
Front view of carpet installed in the Windsor Theater in 1954
This exact same carpet was also installed in the home of Mickey and Ola Stanger, former owners.
Not closed-as of now, at least. Just googling the name and city pulls up a very active Facebook page and Google says they’re currently playing “Lucy”.
Seated 500 according to the Film Daily Yearbook of 1942. Also listed as closed that same year.
Seated 1,200 according to the Film Daily Yearbook of 1942
Seated 810 according to the Film Daily Yearbook of 1942
Seated 1,363 according to the Film Daily Yearbook of 1942
Listed as The Emerson and seating 362 in the 1942 Film Daily Yearbook
Listed and as seating 250 in the 1942 Film Daily Yearbook
Seated 712 according to the Film Daily Yearbook of 1942
Seated 360 according to Film Daily Yearbook of 1942. Also listed as closed that year.
Seated 572 according to Film Daily Yearbook of 1942