Comments from PeterKoch

Showing 1 - 25 of 1,485 comments

PeterKoch commented about Oasis Theatre on Jun 12, 2014 at 5:36 pm

jgraif, are you Joseph N. Graif, Saint Francis Prep, Class of 1972, Miraculous Medal, Class of 1968 ? I am Peter Koch, SFP, Class of 1973. We spoke briefly about music from the film “2001” (“Atmospheres” by Gyorgy Ligeti)once in May 1972, at the Bedford Avenue L subway station. I don’t remember the unique progressive routine that the later marquee was lit with. I only saw one movie at the Oasis, on either the first or second Saturday of January 1976.

PeterKoch commented about Ridgewood Theatre on Mar 26, 2014 at 3:46 pm

You’re welcome, Lost Memory.

PeterKoch commented about Ridgewood Theatre on Mar 24, 2014 at 5:06 pm

I walked past the Ridgewood Theatre this past Friday March 21 2014. No change since my last visit March 22 2013.

PeterKoch commented about Ridgewood Theatre on Feb 18, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Only time will tell, Lost Memory.

PeterKoch commented about Ridgewood Theatre on Feb 18, 2014 at 2:12 pm

RobertR, I don’t know. I may visit Ridgewood before this Friday Feb 21 2014. If I do, I will pass by and observe the Ridgewood Theatre and report here what I have seen.

PeterKoch commented about Ridgewood Theatre on Aug 29, 2013 at 11:20 am

Good point, Bway. I will look forward to your report, LuisV.

PeterKoch commented about Ridgewood Theatre on Aug 28, 2013 at 10:47 am

As Bway once commented, a church is the most beneficial post-theatre function that a former theater can experience, in that it (hopefully) leaves most of the interior intact. Like the Loews Valencia in Jamaica, Queens becoming the Tabernacle of Prayer.

PeterKoch commented about Ridgewood Theatre on Aug 27, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Very bad news indeed.

PeterKoch commented about Ridgewood Theatre on May 23, 2013 at 11:00 am

Thanks, Ridgewood_towncrier !

PeterKoch commented about Ridgewood Theatre on May 13, 2013 at 10:42 am

Thanks, Tinseltoes. I’ll believe rumors when I see something done with the Ridgewood Theatre.

PeterKoch commented about Ridgewood Theatre on Mar 22, 2013 at 5:12 pm

I walked by the Ridgewood Theatre this morning. No change since I last walked by it a year ago (March 23 2012).

THE BUSHWICK TWIN-S is still on the western face of the marquee, facing Madison Street.

There is now something about C-PEX on the southern face of the marquee, facing Myrtle Avenue. There was an area code 718 phone number, and four names I did not copy down.

Michael Perlman probably has additional information on the current status of the Ridgewood Theatre.

PeterKoch commented about Empire Theatre on Mar 22, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Thanks, bosox4life25, for this info.

PeterKoch commented about Ridgewood Theatre on Oct 1, 2012 at 10:32 am

The Capitol Theatre in Port Chester, NY reopened 4 weeks ago on Monday September 4th with Bob Dylan. Dylan is to perform later this year at the Barclay Center in downtown Bklyn only a few miles west southwest of the Ridgewood Theatre. It would be great if the Ridgewood Theatre reopened with Bob Dylan as wll.

PeterKoch commented about Ridgewood Theatre on Oct 1, 2012 at 10:28 am

What’s the “wild goose chase”, Tinseltoes ? Thanks for the link.

PeterKoch commented about Ridgewood Theatre on Aug 30, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I’m reminded of the TV show “The King Of Queens”, and the Eddie Murphy film, “Coming To America”, in which Murphy plays an African prince looking for a queen in Queens, NYC, NY.

PeterKoch commented about Ridgewood Theatre on May 21, 2012 at 10:12 am

Good photo, Tinseltoes. Thanks. I would attempt to date it if I could get it large enough to read the movie titles on the marquee.

PeterKoch commented about Ridgewood Theatre on May 8, 2012 at 11:25 am

You’re welcome, Brad. My pleasure.

I will consider it.

PeterKoch commented about Ridgewood Theatre on May 8, 2012 at 10:01 am

GREAT photo !!!!!

I’m going to print it, and stick it on my wall at work.

PeterKoch commented about Ridgewood Theatre on May 8, 2012 at 9:59 am

Thanks Brad, and welcome to Cinema Treasures.

PeterKoch commented about Parthenon Theatre on Apr 13, 2012 at 10:14 am

Thanks, John. I never knew the Parthenon as a theater, only as a bowling alley, Parthenon Lanes, in 1961. My mom and I would stop in there after eating lunch at Koletty’s nearby to spend the time before I had to back at St. Brigid School nearby at 12:45 PM for first grade.

I remember liking those big thick bowling pencils.

I must have walked by the Parthenon thousands of times on the way home from St. Brigid’s, both for lunch, and for the day, yet I do not recall when it stopped being Parthenon Lanes. It would have been some time between September 1961 and June 1969 when I graduated St. Brigid.

If you know when it stopped being Parthenon Lanes, please e-mail me. Thanks.

See you at Wilson Avenue station Saturday May 5 2012 at high noon.

PeterKoch commented about Ridgewood Theatre on Mar 26, 2012 at 10:17 am

You’re most welcome to my comments, John. Yes, indeed, let’s see. Yes, I am doing well, thank you, albeit crazy busy off the hook, and hope you are too.

PeterKoch commented about Ridgewood Theatre on Mar 23, 2012 at 3:48 pm

I walked by the Ridgewood Theatre this morning at 10 a.m. on my way to RSB. I didn’t cross the street to peer through the gates but took notes on the marquee.

The western face still reads :

THE BUSHWICK
TWIN – S

The small southern face. parallel to Myrtle Avenue, reads :

RETAIL FOR LEASE Erin Grace, CCIM
40,000 SF 212 710 5257
DIVISIBLE Christa Minogue
SRS 212 710 5247

The eastern face of the marquee is blank.

No change since I was last there August 4 2011.

On a happier note, Rudy’s Konditorei Bake Shop at 905 Seneca Avenue (northeast side, between Catalpa and Myrtle Avenues, next door to Ridgewood Eats, formerly the Bank Restaurant) has reopened after a ten-day renovation and is back in business as usual, selling cakes and cookies from cases and counters in the front, with a cafe area in the back with tables and chairs where you can sit sipping cappucino.

PeterKoch commented about Ridgewood Theatre on Feb 17, 2012 at 9:59 am

Yes I am Bway, thank you. It’s good to ‘hear’ from you too.

I may soon return to Bushwick Buddies as well.

PeterKoch commented about Ridgewood Theatre on Feb 13, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I’ve been away, anxious and depressed for personal reasons that I won’t go into here.

But now I’m back, starting to feel free to enjoy life again, and part of that is returning to Cinema Treasures.

I expect to be walking by the Ridgewood Theatre again before the month is out, and, once I have done so, I will post my usual report here.

I don’t expect to see much of a change since my last visit on Thursday August 4 2011.

PeterKoch commented about Ridgewood Theatre on Feb 13, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Thanks, John D., DARCYDT, NativeForestHiller and Matt Lambros for your input.

Matt Lambros, great blog of yours, with great photos ! Many thanks !