Comments from OCRon

Showing 11 comments

OCRon
OCRon commented about Regency Lido Theatre on Apr 29, 2016 at 7:10 am

Regency Lido Theatre reopens Friday, April 29.

OCRon
OCRon commented about San Jacinto Theater on Apr 27, 2016 at 7:22 am

According to the Sanborn Map of 1927 (In photos), the Saboba Theatre was the third address from the southwest corner of Main and Sheriff. Today that location is 166 E. Main Street, home to the San Jacinto Dental Center.

OCRon
OCRon commented about New Beverly Cinema on Apr 11, 2016 at 4:57 pm

Yes Joe, I think I saw a 1950 story for the New Globe. I think maybe I can find it again and post it.

I was amused to see in your link an ad for Mickey Katz’s Halavah Hilarities. Joel Grey, Katz son, (and Jennifer’s father) is listed in the cast. Joel, in his autobiography, says that his father’s career was revived by his parodies such as Home On The Range, which became Haim Afen Range, which began at the Wilshire Ebell around 1950.

OCRon
OCRon commented about New Beverly Cinema on Apr 11, 2016 at 11:34 am

The first movie theater opened here on October 23, 1958 when Robert L. Lippert opened a twin theater called the Capri-Riviera Theatre (The opening story is in the photo section).

According to LA Times ads, it became the New Beverly Cinema in 1972 after being the Eros in 1970, the Europa in 1964, and New Yorker in 1963.

Maxie Rosenbloom’s Café, later Slapsy Maxie’s, opened at this location on November 7, 1937. Between 1945 and 1957 there were seven names changes for the clubs, restaurants and playhouses, which occupied the address. (A compilation of the their ads is in the photo section).

Los Angeles Magazine notes that the building was built in 1929.

OCRon
OCRon commented about Regency Lido Theatre on Apr 6, 2016 at 8:58 am

To reopen April 29

OCRon
OCRon commented about Regency Lido Theatre on Apr 3, 2016 at 11:53 pm

Movies Again!

OCRon
OCRon commented about Rio Theatre on Mar 9, 2016 at 7:24 pm

All of my information was obtained from the Brownfield News on January 19, 1986. It lists a complete history of all Brownfield theaters. I have added the whole page and then blown up sections, which pertain to the Rio Theatre.

OCRon
OCRon commented about Austin Theatre on Mar 8, 2016 at 6:52 pm

Would that be the Owl Club at 86 Main Street (Lincoln Hwy)?
A movie theatre was listed here on an old 1941 Sanborn Map.
I heard it was once a mining town.

OCRon
OCRon commented about Azteca Theatre on Mar 8, 2016 at 7:35 am

This ad from the Daily Times places the Aztec at 408 Flood Street.

OCRon
OCRon commented about Gem Theatre on Mar 7, 2016 at 7:24 am

From Wichita Daily Times, July 4, 1968: The Gem opened October 25, 1910. Closed, Jan 6, 1952. Demolished 1972.

OCRon
OCRon commented about La Mirada Theatre for the Performing Arts on Jun 28, 2005 at 12:51 am

Let me correct myself. The old Krikorian 7 Theatre was closed, but it was never converted.
Currently it is a discount house operated by Interstate Theatres, based in Dallas, Texas.