Showing 1 - 25 of 26 comments
The Plaza Theatre opened in July 1946.
The Grand Theatre was located at 235 S. Oak Street, the second building from the corner of 3rd. (As the postcards show, the brick building is still on the corner). It appears that the top of the former theater may have been removed.
A grand opening ad from December 28, 1928 is now in the photo section with a news clip of the new front from the local news in 1939.
The San Pedro Drive-In closed November 22,1982.
The San Gabriel Drive-In opened July 14, 1955. It closed June 27, 1984.
The Grand Opening ad for the Sepulveda Drive-In on May 25, 1955, is now in the photo section. It Closed August 13, 1989.
The Grand Opening ad from January 2, 1928, is now in the photo section.
According to this 1939 news clip (in photo section), construction of the theater started in October 1939. The Jefferson Theatre Co. opened it in January 1940.
The America Theatre was located at 212 N. Kentucky. Before and after Sanborn Maps of the America and Ritz Theatres are in the photo section
While operated by Pacific Theatres, it closed December 16, 1979.
According to these news clips, La Rita, designed by J. Roy Smith, opened February 4, 1931.
Beginning in July 1970 the theater had an earlier life as the Adam and Eve Theatre. The ads are in the photo section.
A Los Angeles Times news clip reviewing the opening on December 21, 1921, is now in the photo section. Temple wasn’t just an exotic name, it was actually built and owned by Walter P. Temple (also founder of Temple City).
The Grand Opening ad of the Laurel Drive-In on May 11, 1955, is now in the photo section. Pacific Drive-In Theatres closed it on May 11, 1969 to make way for the new freeway.
According to Los Angeles Times ads, the independent Los Feliz Drive-In opened March 24,1950, and closed October 2, 1956, still an independent.
The construction of the Gull Drive-In was announced in the Brainerd Daily Dispatch on February 9, 1949. It opened May 1949. A news clip is now in the photo section.
This 1913 Sanborn Map shows the theater located in the Altamont Hotel, which has been restored and is used as affordable apartments. The theater was located next to
The first Village Theatre opened February 20, 1947 and was destroyed by lightning August 11, 1966 and the new reconstructed Village Theatre opened June 1, 1967.
The destruction of the theater and the caving in of the roof by a lightning and high winds on August 11 was covered the same day in The Port Arthur News.
Timeline for the Village Theatre:
February 20, 1947: Grand Opening by Jefferson Amusement Co.
August 11, 1966: Destroyed by lightning and high winds.
June 1, 1967: New Village Theatre opened by Jefferson Amusement Co.
News clip and ads in photo section
Film Daily, August 19, 1929, (see news clip) notes the opening on August 25
The Village Centre Cinemas at Eastside opened March 27, 1998.
The Village Centre Cinemas opened November 5, 2003. Grand Opening ad in photo section.
That would be August 25, 1954, that the Sundown Drive-In opened. Grand Opening ad in photo section.
The Whittwood Theatre opened July 14, 1964 and as the marquee reads, Zulu and Flower Drum Song were the opening attractions. LA Times ad in photo section.
Listed on Regency Theatres website as coming soon
According to Film Daily, the Wardman Theatre opened in June 1932. In October 1932 the Wardmans sued Fox West Coast Theatres and the major film producers. Los Angeles Times news clip in photo section
The Whittier Theatre opened July 31,1929. Demolition began in May 1990 . News clips in photo section.