Comments from Vito

Showing 1 - 25 of 1,412 comments

Vito
Vito commented about Theater owners complain about Interstellar film release on Oct 15, 2014 at 4:49 am

Optimistic, the man in charge of that area is out of town for a while but I should be speaking with him in a week or two if anyone knows what is up with that location he does.

Vito
Vito commented about Theater owners complain about Interstellar film release on Oct 14, 2014 at 6:03 am

optimist008 I will ask about that and get back to you I should mention that retention of 70mm projectors at some NA locations does not apply to IMAX at City Center where the 70mm IMAX equipment was removed and replaced by Digital IMAX.

Vito
Vito commented about Theater owners complain about Interstellar film release on Oct 13, 2014 at 4:34 am

When National Amusements made the conversion to Digital they made the decision to retain at least two film projectors in each location. Most if not all NA theatres have a film projector as well as Digital side by side in two auditoriums which includes 70mm in some locations.

Vito commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Oct 6, 2014 at 7:50 am

Thanks for that clarification. When it was told to me that mag tracks were back I questioned in my mind if that were even possible with most if not all labs basically no longer even geared up to produce the tracks let alone sound them. A call to a friend of mine at Deluxe who told me “We don’t do that any longer” I had thought the info about mag sound came from a good source however now cannot find anyone to confirm the return of mag sound and in fact a few locations I contacted conformed that the prints were not mag. Sorry for the confusion I will be more vigilant in confirming info posted here in future to ensure validity

Vito commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Oct 4, 2014 at 9:00 am

Additional investigation has me confused the stories about the sound format are conflicting I shall look further and perhaps others will a well. I may have been given inaccurate information.

Vito commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Oct 4, 2014 at 8:40 am

Two Interesting articles on Interstellar

Also of great interest is the news that the sound on the 70mm prints is 6 track magnetic not DTS and 35mm four track prints are also available with the Carthay Circle Theatre planning on one of the prints being shown will be 35mm Magnetic, How fun!

Vito commented about Hazlet 12 on Oct 1, 2014 at 12:03 pm

The remodel includes all new comfy seating which are larger causing a reduction of the number of seats in each auditorium. The theatre will also be getting a new concession stand. Photo of the installation of the new seats posted

Vito commented about What about the curtains? on Sep 17, 2014 at 5:11 am

I just loved the post from John Rice which gave me goose bumps about the good ole days in theaters. Curtains played a big part in the movie presentation, proper timing of the curtain to ensure that the two panels met or kissed just as the last note of the music played or the picture faded to black was very a very important part of the presentation. John mentioned never showing a white screen which was so true you simply never did that neither was the moving of the masking which had to be done while the curtain was closed. A Delux, as we called it back when, meant closing and reopening the curtain between all pre feature presentation films and when going from flat to scope audiences never saw the masking move. we had some pictures with overtures and intermissions and part of he presentation meant dimming the lights gradually with two or three different settings as the music played. Ah yes, we had fun in the booth back then and the audiences loved it.

Vito commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Sep 10, 2014 at 6:14 am

Thanks for speaking out against that photo with the curtain open. I cringe every time I see it, a harsh reminder of what our theatres have changed for the worst. A naked screen must never be shown in a theatre like the Ziegfeld. Leave that to the little boxes they call theatres theses days. I too will click on to the proper picture to keep it alive thanks for the hint.

Vito commented about Hazlet 12 on Aug 22, 2014 at 8:32 am

When NA had the theatre we disused adding stadium seating; perhaps that is being dome now. Adding IMAX as we did at White Plains would also be a good idea for that location

Vito commented about Hazlet 12 on Aug 12, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Mark, I am sorry to hear about the marquee change but today it’s all about money and time savings I guess. Sounds like a money saving move in the long run by eliminating the cost of labor and replacement letters. I always put a lot of effort into the look of that attraction board; my thinking was so many people saw it every day driving and walking by it had to always look sharp. I also insisted that the new movies were always listed first in the left panel meaning that no matter how many new movies opened that week most of the titles had to be shifted to make way for the new one. I just preferred it that way.Another rule was never use the single block substitute for words like THE, WITH, AND unless space was tight and the entire title could not fit words like those had to be spelled out completely. Lastly the look of the sign had to be kept in good working order and immaculately clean which meant removing all of the panels from time to time and replace the neon bulbs, care also had to be taken to be sure all the bulbs were cool white and not mixed with warm white. In addition the panels had to be completely removed and cleaned especially after a tough winter; no cost was too great for the look of that marquee.

Vito commented about Radio City Music Hall on Jul 21, 2014 at 6:43 am

Watching a sportscast last night the guys were talking about how the Football draft will no be at RCMH next year cause there is a new show featuring the Rockettes in the works for that time spot. If this is true hopefully it does not fall thru as the last one did. Anyone heard anything about this?

Vito commented about Radio City Music Hall on Jun 14, 2014 at 9:17 am

Yup Luis I shared the same thoughts watching the show.
I too loved “Gentleman’s guide” and plan on seeing it again. Let’s also give a big hurrah to Neil Patrick Harris for his outstanding performance and Tony win. only thing missing was seeing the grand curtain go up oh well not that I have not seen that quite a times in the good ole days. Live live RCMH may she prosper and live on

Vito commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Apr 8, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Hey Rob I was just thinking we should have gotten together and modified a couple of those ole film lifts we had back in the three strip Cinerama days to lift those double 70mm reels which were made all the more difficult to handle with a full 70mm load on those floating hubs.

Vito commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Apr 8, 2014 at 3:05 pm

We had double 70mm reels at the D-150 on Long Island after 3 double shifts of “White Nights” I needed a couple of days off; ouch my acking back. A shame Rob did not get to play “Master” in 70mm which I hope would not have been the Music Halls 70mm swan song.

Vito commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Apr 8, 2014 at 5:43 am

I had a different reaction to that commercial although I loved the old booth with reels hanging on the wall and the film projectors in the background but I had cold water splashed on my face when it showed the movie delivered in a single small box which is how unfortunately movies are delivered today. No more film cans just a box containing the media to load on to a computer. I am told that some theatres have already started to get the movie via satellite no need for any delivery. Just an old man feeling sorry once again for the loss of film I just can’t get my head around that. Oh well did not mean to bring down the conversation but seeing that projectionist receive a box instead of film cans just made me sad forgive me

Vito commented about Radio City Music Hall on Feb 12, 2014 at 9:22 am

So I am watching this ad on TV for the new spring show and there is a still shot of the stage completely covered by some sort of hideous set. The curtain cannot be seen at all Is that the look for that show and will the curtain not be used?

Vito commented about Radio City Music Hall on Jan 29, 2014 at 4:00 am

As to Heart & Lights just knowing the Rockettes are dancing to Fosse will put my butt in a seat.

Vito commented about Radio City Music Hall on Dec 30, 2013 at 2:14 pm

So the plan for next year as of now is to include the 70mm 3-D opening sequence? it may not be much but at least I can hold off holding a wake for film at RCMH A while back a ton of new surround speakers were installed in the theatre you can see the boxes just about everywhere on the walls and mounted in front of the mezzanines my question is are they used for anything other than film sound and with movies basically finished will the speakers be removed as well or used for other purposes

Vito commented about Radio City Music Hall on Dec 30, 2013 at 10:58 am

I am wondering if that silver sheet is installed every year for the Christmas show and will be removed after tonight’s performance. I would like to point out to those of you who are not aware, rcdt55b used that word correctly, Sheet is the correct and common word used to describe a movie screen in our business. If in the day you were to go backstage at any of the theatres featuring stage/screen shows such as Paramount or Roxy you would find in the rigging one marked Sheet for the screen as well as Rag which was how stage curtains were labeled. I wonder if the word Rag is still used in B’way houses today.

Vito commented about Radio City Music Hall on Dec 30, 2013 at 5:47 am

As we mourn the end of movies at the Hall we must take time to be grateful for the fact that the theatre is still with us; for movies or no movies this treasure is alive and thriving. As rcdt55b has written we need to get used to the changes embrace them in fact for the Hall will continue to change as new technologies emerge and new challenges for the brilliant Music Hall staff and the great stage in particular emerge. Recently we have had the pleasure of reading posts from rcdt55b who has kept us up to date on the goings on at the theatre I very much enjoyed being kept up to dates on everything Music Hall. I am sure rcdt55b would agree that our greatest contributor here in the Radio City thread has of course been REndres. As most of you know Rob for many years was Chief Projectionist during the time of movies and stage shows and after the Hall stopped showing movies Rob continued to inform delight and entertain us with marvelous Music hall stories. Today is the final day of the 2013 Christmas show and could conceivably be the last time film will be projected at RCMH. So everyone join me at approximately 8PM tonight as the last show begins and bow our heads in a moment of silence ;)  Any final thoughts Rob?

Vito commented about Radio City Music Hall on Dec 29, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Well the end of an era has finally come movies are finished at the Hall. It was inevitable I suppose with the death of film and the fact that in order for the Music Hall to show Digital movies it meant setting up two Digital projectors in the mezzanine which probably became an it’s just not worth it situation. The beginning of end came a year or so ago with the removal of all the changeover equipment needed to run reel to reel I saw that as a sign of things to come. Now they have put the final nail in the coffin with the removal of the picture sheet (screen) and the speaker border and stage speakers

One has to wonder if they end up dropping the 3-D form the Christmas show or find a Digital way to replace the 70mm how long it will be before all the projectors are removed and that space utilized for some other equipment.

So goodbye to movies at RCMH it was a heck of a place to see a movie but now that it’s pretty much over we can all stop dreaming and hoping for movies to return which let’s face it we all knew but did not want to accept would never again happen.

So let’s hold on to our memories of the good ole days at RCMH we will never see the likes of that again.

Vito commented about Radio City Music Hall on Nov 5, 2013 at 12:13 pm

No it doesn’t rcdt, guess we will have to see how it looks to form an opinion. I knew the use of film was to good to be true….oh well.

Vito commented about Radio City Music Hall on Nov 5, 2013 at 4:20 am

rcdt Please tell us more about the trailer is it on film? and is that why you wrote a while back that more projectors would be used this year? Thanks

Vito commented about 42nd Street Photos Unearthed on Nov 2, 2013 at 5:15 am

I enjoyed that I would also love to see the ones from the 50s with those great double bills Inn those days the marquees were a work of art perfectly centered and well maintained. I used to love to walk down 42nd from B'way to 8th to admire them