Comments from StauntonTourism

Showing 4 comments

StauntonTourism
StauntonTourism commented about Dixie Theater on Oct 24, 2004 at 11:33 am

The Dixie Theater now has a website: http://www.thedixietheater.com/

StauntonTourism
StauntonTourism commented about Visulite Cinemas on Oct 11, 2004 at 11:37 am

The Visulite has been sold (October 6, 2004) and will be renovated for use as a movie theatre (primarily first-run, foreign and independent films) as well as live theatre, concerts and comedy shows. Stay tuned! The theatre originally opened on July 8, 1937.

StauntonTourism
StauntonTourism commented about Dixie Theater on Sep 23, 2004 at 2:09 pm

The Dixie is open with three screens and the fourth should open shortly. Fresh popcorn with REAL butter, thank you very much. Currently showing through tonight “De-Lovely”, “The Notebook” and “The Manchurian Candidate” with most films changing tomorrow. The theatre is now operating as “The Dixie Theater” with volunteers supplimenting limited paid staff. New carpeting throughout (no more sticky floors!) and much, much cleaner thanks to volunteers spenidn gweeks to clean and paint. Theatre Telephone: 540-885-8445

StauntonTourism
StauntonTourism commented about Dixie Theater on Sep 8, 2004 at 1:07 pm

The Dixie Theatre is scheduled to become a performing arts center which will include the showing of films on a retractable screen. Until the funds are raised for this project, it will continue to operate as a movie theatre. For details go to their website: www.stauntonperformingarts.org or go the the following website: www.staunton.va.us, go to the “Visitors” section then to the “Arts/Entertainment” section and click on “Theater” and follow the link. As soon as the “Add a Photo” feature is working again on this site, I will add images. Originally built as the New Theatre for vaudeville and for films, the theatre opened in June 1913. A major fire in 1936 destroyed the ornate interior. Noted architect John Eberson redesigned the theatre in the Art Moderne style, and the giant arhed windows along the facade were filled in at this time with decorative tiles. A third floor to the building that was destroyed by the fire was not rebuilt.