Photos favorited by TheALAN

  • <p>What a facelift of the outer area as rough brick is plastered over and the theatre gets a movie palace makeover.</p>
  • <p>The Felton Theatre’s design was criticized as being benign and more garage-like in 1919/20 – an era in which movie palaces were being designed even outside of downtown areas. So its interior was remodeled just five years after opening by the firm of Magaziner, Eberhard & Harris getting a raised roof, new organ, and increased backstage area. The results put it on par with other neighborhood palaces of the day.</p>
  • <p>April 11th, 1925 grand opening ad</p>
  • <p>August 16th, 1950 grand opening ad</p>
  • <p>The Uptown Theatre at opening February 16, 1929 for the Warner Bros. circuit.</p>
  • <p>A view of the auditroium at opening February 16, 1929 .</p>
  • <p>The promenade with a peak on the right at one of the murals at the Uptown at opening February 16, 1929.</p>
  • <p>The Uptown Theatre promenade at opening February 16, 1929</p>
  • <p>Gesso panels by the stairwell at The Uptown Theatre at opening February 16, 1929</p>
  • <p>Stained glass work at the Uptown Theatre at opening February 16, 1929.</p>
  • <p><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/lastpictureshow/6840382934/">Beverly Hills© Theatre..Dallas Texas..Billy Smith / Don Lewis Vanishing Movie Theaters</a></p>
  • <p>After an invitation screening on August 31, 1944, the public was invited for this Sept 2, 1944 grand opening.</p>
  • <p>The Rowley United Circuit’s Beverly Hills Theatre joined the ranks of the ever-growing art film (not porn) theaters. The policy began January 6, 1952 for the  theater which had originally opened August 31, 1944 briefly as part of the Tri-State Theater Circuit.</p>
  • <p>A 1944 shot of the Beverly Hills Theater then under control of Bart McLendon’s Tri-State Theater Circuit. McLendon would sell the theater to Robb & Rowley three years later and then sue Rowley over business practices.</p>
  • <p>The Beverly Hills Shopping Center consisted of the theater and the pharmacy next door which were both sold to Robb & Rowley circuit in 1947.</p>
  • <p>Interior of the McClendon-owned Beverly Hills Theatre in 1945 with the concession area, entry way, and interior of auditorium toward and away from the screen.</p>
  • <p>Post-War Dallas saw the rise of new suburban movie theaters which would pressure some of the second-run theaters on downtown Dallas' theater row. This architectural sketching by Raymond F. Smith of the Granada was the first of many suburban Dallas theaters to be operated by the Phil Isley Theater Circuit opening January 16, 1946.</p>
  • <p>Early 1946 shot of the new Granada Theater showing of its 60 foot porcelain Texlite Co. sign with changing neon lighting. It was the Phil Isley Circuit’s first Dallas theater and it stood the test of time.</p>