Elm Theatre

510 Elm Street,
Camden, NJ 08102

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

| Street View

Originally opened as a silent movie house, the Elm Theatre closed in 1928 without converting to sound.

It was redesigned by architect William H. Lee in 1938 and operating into the late-1950’s. It was later demolished and replaced by low income housing known as Northgate Apartments.

Contributed by RSecinaro, Ken Roe

Recent comments (view all 6 comments)

teecee
teecee on March 6, 2005 at 1:40 pm

Looks like it was an adult theater back in 1925 per this advertisement:

View link

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on March 7, 2005 at 2:37 am

The 1943 edition of Film Daily Yearbook gives a seating capacity of 335.

teecee
teecee on June 28, 2006 at 11:47 am

According to Images of America: South Jersey Movie Houses, page 10, this theater closed in 1928 as a silent theater. Reopened in 1938 and operated into the late 1950s.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on December 26, 2006 at 2:49 pm

There was a fire in the theater on 7/7/47:

Projection Booth Afire; Children Leave Theater

CAMDEN, N. J- Fifty children singing songs projected on a screen were told there was a fire in the theater’s projection booth and marched safely outside today, without interrupting their vocal harmony. Manager Morris W. Cummings discovered the fire in the 300-seat Elm Theater 25 minutes after the matinee began, hurriedly opened the exit doors and instructed the children to leave. John Armstrong, 35, of Maple Shade, N.J, projectionist, was singed by flames that spurted from film caught in the projection machine. Loss was slight.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on December 16, 2008 at 8:25 am

From Boxoffice magazine, January 1938:

Harry Sistko, who operates the Nixon-Grand is reported getting ready to re-open the Elm Theater, Camden, shortly.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater