7 Ledgewood Avenue,
3 people favorited this theater
The Palace Theatre was built in 1919. It started as a silent movie and vaudeville house, then moved on to talkies and other community events and entertainment.
In 1934 it was leased by a prominent Newark theater operator and major renovation began with fabric wall coverings and ceiling drapes. In 1938, there was a marquee added and the Colonial Revival facade was covered by Art Deco style.
The Palace Theatre was the “try out” theater for famous actors before hitting Broadway. Newly released popular movies appeared over the next two decades.
In the mid-1940’s the commercial storefronts in the its facade were removed and the Palace Theatre continued as a movie house into the 1960’s. Then competition took hold from television and eventually from multiplexes. It was converted into a warehouse in 1981 until 1994.
It was purchased in May 1995 by The Growing Stage and it is now a performing arts center. It is on the Register of Historic Places nationally and in New Jersey.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater