Georgetown Palace Theater
810 South Austin Avenue,
1 person favorited this theater
The Palace Theater was built in 1925 by A.C. Moore of Bartlett, Texas. The grand opening was held in February 1926. It opened with silent films and three years later it went on to talkies.
The original buff brick building was remodeled in 1936 to its present day Art Deco style. It is reported to be the only Art Deco styled building in Georgetown.
The seating capacity in 1941 was listed as 500. It operated as a movie theatre until 1989 at which time it was the oldest continously operating movie theatre in Texas.
In 1989 the owner Jack Hall was faced with declining revenues, competing with 20 new movie screens in the area and outdated equipment. Mr. Hall put the property up for sale.
Concerned citizens formed the Georgetown Palace Theater, Inc. The group raised enough money to make a down payment and closed on the theatre sale in 1991.
The group cleaned and refurbished the theatre in a little over 90 days and it was ready to reopen.
Today the restored theatre operates as a non-profit Community Performing Arts facility. They have a mix of Broadway shows, live music performance and occaisional movies. Total seating for the refurbished theatre is 295. Movies were dropped from the programming in 2012.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater