Moonlite Drive-In

5268 US 322 West,
Brookville, PA 15825

Unfavorite 2 people favorited this theater

Moonlite Drive-In

Viewing: Photo | Street View

The Moonlite Drive-In opened July 2, 1952 with James Mason & Ava Gardner in “Pandora and the Flying Dutchman”. It has one screen and a capacity for 300 cars and was operated by O.A. Holobough & Louis Hanna of Hanna Theatre Service, Pittsburg.

Contributed by Lost Memory

Recent comments (view all 6 comments)

moviemanretired
moviemanretired on July 12, 2014 at 7:09 am

Photo added from photo taked June 2014

Chris1982
Chris1982 on October 2, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Address from their website: The Moonlite Drive-In Theatre, 5268 US 322 West, Brookville, PA 15825. The Moonlight has not made the conversion to digitial projection as of yet.

NYozoner
NYozoner on January 1, 2017 at 10:08 pm

The Moonlite converted to digital projection at the end of the 2015 season.

NeonMichael
NeonMichael on December 18, 2017 at 6:50 am

im Lipuma purchased and reopened the Moonlite in 1996. He eventually converted to digital projection in November 2015.

There’s a great short called The Man Behind the Screen, shot in 2015. It’s all about the Moonlite and Lipuma in particular.

NeonMichael
NeonMichael on December 18, 2017 at 8:04 am

I uploaded clippings from the Brookville Jeffersonian Democrat that show that this Moonlite opened on July 2, 1952, showing Pandora and the Flying Dutchman. More from that newspaper:

In January 1953, the Rose township board of supervisors sued the Moon-Light (sic) over a hastily added tax. J. E. Hollobaugh, described as the drive-in’s owner and operator, had refused to pay. In August 1955, the drive-in won the lawsuit.

In November 1954, “Cinemascope has been displayed successfully at the Moonlite Drive-In”.

In April 1955, strong winds or lightning (?) knocked over the screen for “the second time in less than a month”. The concrete screen supports had just been repaired from the first collapse. “The Moon-Lite (sic) Drive-In will begin showings tomorrow night with a temporary screen, but plans are to erect an entire new structure of three walls to provide additional supports.”

NeonMichael
NeonMichael on December 18, 2017 at 8:55 am

The 1955-56 Theatre Catalog listed the Moonlight (sic) in Brookville, capacity 300, owner O. A. Holobough.

Its first appearance in the Motion Picture Almanacs was 1955 in Brooksville (sic), the Moonlight (sic) had owner or booker as Harner Theatres. In typical MPA fashion, this information stayed the same, uncorrected through at least the 1972 edition.

By the 1976 edition, the town had been fixed as Brookville, but the inaccurate drive-in spelling persisted. In the 1978-84 editions, the owner was listed as R. Neff. The drive-in was gone by the 1986 edition.

ExploreClarion.com wrote that Jim Lipuma “purchased the Moonlite in Brookville after the flood in 1996 and opened it on May 2, 1997.” That flood was on July 19, 1996 when heavy rains caused a Brookville impoundment to give way.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater