234 Robinson Street,
6 people favorited this theater
The Cameo Theatre opened April 21, 1928 with “Women’s Wares” and was built to serve the Robinson Street neighborhood. It has a bird cage style box office, inside the lobby. The concession stand and restrooms are located in the rear of the auditorium. The theatre was operated for many years by Ken and Fran Robinson, who were very popular in the community.
In the 1980’s, Carroll’s Development leased the theatre and operated it. Caroll’s merged their operations with Nutmeg Theatres of CT to form CinemaNational. In 1987, that circuit sold to USA Cinemas, which, in 1988, was sold to Loews. Loews operated the theatre until 1993 when they opened the Town Square in nearby Vestal. At that time, they closed their four remaining single-screen operations in the Greater Binghamton area—The Cameo, Crest, Towne Endicott and Cinema Endicott.
The Cameo Theatre reopened under an independent, who installed DTS Sound. After not meeting with much success, the theatre closed. Fran Robinson stepped back in and reopened the house and ran it for a few more years. It closed for the last time in 2002, and has been empty since.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater