Skyview Drive-In

595 South Eighty 8 Road,
Carmichaels, PA 15320

Unfavorite 2 people favorited this theater

Skyview Drive-In

The Skyview Auto Drive-In opened in July 1948. It had a capacity for 350 cars. By 1952 it was operated by L. Stutler & Bert Stearn and Commonwealth Theatres. By 1955 it was operated by L. Stutler & Duard Coe. This twin screen drive-in has a capacity for 400 cars. In the 1960’s it was operated by Cinemette.

Contributed by Lost Memory

Recent comments (view all 10 comments)

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on June 8, 2010 at 11:03 pm

In 1956 it was called the SKYVIEW AUTO DRIVE-In.parking 225 cars and was owned by STuler & Coe.

TLSLOEWS on June 10, 2010 at 5:12 pm

Thanks Ken and Mike.

StrangeStephen on December 27, 2011 at 1:25 pm

The street view above is wrong. Photo needs to be about a mile to the south. Grew up about two miles from there. Wonderful place to watch a movie.

jwmovies on November 29, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Per their website, address for this drive-in is 577 Pennsylvania 88.

RSM3853 on December 27, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Cinemette as a theater chain did not start until the 1970s. Before that, the area had Associated Theaters, owned by the Stern family, and Stanley-Warner Theaters. I don’t know which one this drive-in belonged to, or if it was an independent.

StrangeStephen on March 8, 2014 at 6:53 pm

The owners were able to acquire two used, affordable digital projectors late last summer. With little competition and the insane popularity, my hometown theatre isn’t going anywhere.

Chris1982 on October 3, 2014 at 2:07 am

Address according to their website: 595 PA 88 South Carmichaels, PA 15320. Phone NOO. 724-966-2364. Their website

MichaelKilgore on November 29, 2017 at 5:41 pm

Every anecdotal source says this drive-in opened in 1946, but they’re all wrong. The Jan. 25 1951 Evening Standard of nearby Unionville wrote about a lawsuit against the drive-in’s owners that “when the theater was opened in 1948, reddog and earth was heaped up near the headwaters of a brook”. Which explains what the Theatre Catalog wrote.

The 1948-49 Theatre Catalog listed Carmichaels Drive-In as under construction, Exec: Lou Stuler, Stuler and Coe. Carmichaels was in the regular drive-in list in the 1949-50 edition. By the 1952 edition of the Catalog, its name had changed to the Skyview, still owned by L. Stuler and Duard Coe.

In the newspapers in nearby Unionville, its first mention was in a February 1950 traffic accident report as “the Drive-In theater”. It was advertising in those papers by summer, calling itself the Sky View with a small gap between words. By the 1960s, the ads were running as the Sky-View with a hyphen.

In 1960, the Brownsville Telegraph mentioned that “Lewis Stuler and Durwood Coe” owned the “Skyview”.

The Pittsburgh Press ran an obituary for Louis S. Stuler after he died of a heart attack at the age of 47 on August 10, 1961. “Together with Duard Coe of Waynesburg, Mr. Stuler owned and operated the Sky View and Brownsville Drive-In Theaters”.

The 1952-66 Motion Picture Almanacs listed the Skyview Auto (later just the Skyview) as owned by Stuler & Coe. Capacity was originally 225, but doubled to 450 by 1963. When ownership info returned for the 1978-82 editions, capacity was 400 and the owner was Cinemette Corporation of America, based in Pittsburgh. In the 1984-88 editions, the owner changed to G & G Theaters, Inc., which incorporated in 1963 and is now inactive.

MichaelKilgore on July 27, 2019 at 12:58 pm

“CARMICHAELS, PA. – The drive-in on Route 88, which will be opened within a few days, is unique in its screen tower construction. Cemenstone Corp., Neville Island, is producing the 53x50 screen tower in blocks poured at Neville Island and fabricated here. These blocks are 22 and 28 feet long, 6 feet wide and 4 inches thich. The tower itself is supported by four concrete posts, the weight being over 90 tons for the 45x33 screen. Louis Stuler and Durward Coe are owners of the drive-in.” —BoxOffice, July 17, 1948

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater