2828 35th Street,
2 people favorited this theater
The first theater on this site opened as the Oak Park Theater in 1903, it closed in 1907.
In 1915 it was re-designed (maybe even rebuilt), to the design of and financed by Joseph Lewis. It re-opened as the Victor Theater and remained as this until 1926 when it closed.
It re-opened on October 31, 1931 with Robert Woolsey in “Everything’s Rosie” and was known as the New Oak Park Theater. A seating capacity of 484 is given in editions of Film Daily Yearbook. The New Oak Park Theater closed again in 1947.
On August 14, 1952 it re-opened as the Guild Theater screening Moira Shearer in “Tales of Hoffmann”. A seating capacity now given as 467 and a new modern marquee had been installed over the entrance. On May 28, 1969 it went over to screening adult movies and was renamed New Guild Theater. After years of serving this downtown community it eventually closed and fell into a state of disrepair, remaining vacant for many years.
Re-opened in May 2003 (again named the Guild Theater) by the St. Hope Academy, a non-profit community developement organisation. It now has a mix of live shows, lectures and films in its newly re-furbished 200 seat auditorium.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater