Grove International Theater

346 16th Avenue,
Irvington, NJ 07111

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Grove International Theater

Viewing: Photo | Street View

This was a small theatre that specialized in foreign language films catering to the mainly Polish, but also Hungarian, Lithuanian and Czech immigrants who settled in the area in the 1940’s and 1950’s. The only way I knew of the Grove Theatre was because it was across the street from Olympic Park (another sorry loss.) After the Grove Theatre closed, the building became part of the Irvington Public Library System. In 2015 the building houses the Irvington Neighborhood Improvement Corp.

Contributed by Jim Thatcher

Recent comments (view all 5 comments)

teecee
teecee on April 1, 2005 at 8:35 am

Listed as open in the 1951 FDY.

teecee
teecee on June 30, 2005 at 9:37 am

“(Gary)Heckel, whose family owned the Grove Theater in Irvington when he was a child, connected with Roberts accidentally when he took a fill-in projectionist job at the Chatham theater some 20 years ago.”

The Star-Ledger (Newark, NJ), March 25, 2003 p022

teecee
teecee on July 5, 2005 at 3:37 am

A Robert Morton organ was installed in this theater in 1926. After it was moved to the Capitol Theatre in South River, NJ, the Grove theatre bought another Robert Morton in 1928.

teecee
teecee on July 28, 2006 at 3:06 pm

Oddly enough, may have been known as the Hindenburg Theater in 1940:
View link

elmorovivo
elmorovivo on August 9, 2015 at 12:47 am

The section of Irvington where this theater was located was in 1940 [midst of II World War], heavily populated by German- Americans. Ethnic suspicions ran rampart in the United States at the time. Pressures from anything connected to Germany drove the owners to change the name of the theater to the Grove.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater