Old Vienna Theatre

352 Pearl Street,
Buffalo, NY 14202

Unfavorite 2 people favorited this theater

| Street View

This theater, located on Pearl Street at Huron Street, was built in 1914, designed by architect William H. McElfatrick. It was originally a burlesque house, but later turned to movies.

The Gayety Theatre had various later name changes: Playhouse Theatre, Filmart Theatre, State Theatre, and in the 1940’s-1950’s the Old Vienna Theatre. It was razed in 1955 and a parking garage is on the site today.

Contributed by Bryan

Recent comments (view all 5 comments)

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on April 17, 2005 at 2:07 am

List in the 1941 edition of Film Daily Yearbook as the State Theatre with 1,200 serats. In the F.D.Y. edition of 1943 it was the Old Vienna Theatre with a capacity of 1,029. In the 1950 edition of F.D.Y. it is still the Old Vienna Theatre but with 1,602 seats listed.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on April 17, 2005 at 2:43 am

Photo of the Gayety Theater:
http://ah.bfn.org/h/movie/oral/source/4.html

Postcard picture of the Gayety Theater:
View link

roberttoplin
roberttoplin on September 18, 2007 at 6:25 am

To be exact: Opened – January 12,1914 and Razed – October 9,1955. G.A.Mang was the Buffalo Supervising Architect and opened with 1,575 seats.

arl
arl on February 3, 2008 at 12:32 am

According to newspaper articles, in its later years, as the “Old Vienna”, the chief attraction
here was Bingo. Patrons were charged $2.00 to see a second run movie, after which a
Bingo game was held, with cash prizes. Bingo was illegal at this time, and after a series
of confrontations with the law, the theater closed in March 1951.

PGlenat
PGlenat on February 3, 2008 at 1:48 am

That cracks me up. Every church parish hall, legion hall and VFW post in the area had bingo games at least once a week. Were they ever raided…not likely!

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater