10872 W. Pico Boulevard,
21 people favorited this theater
Located at the interestion of Westwood Boulevard & Pico Boulevard. This S. Charles Lee designed theatre opened December 24, 1948 with Gene Kelly in “The Three Musketeers” and Ted Donaldson in “Rusty Leads the Way”. The opening advertisement names it ‘Pickwood’ Theatre. It had 1,600 seats.
After four decades of delighting West LA crowds, the Picwood Theatre was closed in 1985, and demolished to make way for an extension to the Westside Pavilion mall.
The buildings on the entire block (a bowling alley, a bank, and a video arcade were among them) were torn down and replaced by the Westside Pavilion, a huge shopping mall, that takes up two blocks (an overhead bridge stretches across Pico Boulevard, providing access to both sides of the mall without having to physically cross Pico on street level.
A glimpse across the street from the mall at the 1940’s Apple Pan hamburger joint gives a glimpse of what the area once looked like. Pico has changed – for the better?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater