2 people favorited this theater
Built and opened in 1823 as the Bellevue, a society restaurant. The original entrance was on the other side of the building facing the Singel canal. It had several name changes over the years, before reverting back to the name Bellevue and was a popular meeting place as it has a good location alongside the Stadsschouwburg Amsterdam (Amsterdam Municiple Theatre).
In 1906 it began showing movies, but this was not a full time operation. It was in 1938 that architect J. Heinman and interior designer M. Ketting re-modelled the cinema and it became a premier movie theatre in central Amsterdam. Seating is on one level, with no balcony.
Plans were put forward in 1954 to demolish it and replace it with a twin screened building. But this scheme was abandoned when the single screen Calypso Cinema was built on adjacent land in 1955.
The original entrance was closed off and a new joint entrance was formed to serve the two cinemas on the busier Marnixstraat.
The Belleview was converted by architects Carel L.W. Wirtz and K.J. Roosendaal into a Cinerama theatre which opened on 9th September 1965 with the movie “The Hallelujah Trail”.
Although no longer screening Cinerama films in later years, it retained its name and is one of only a few cinemas in the world that still had the Cinerama name on its signage and advertising. The final screenings at the Bellevue Cinerama was “Sky Over Holland” (in 70mm) and “Cinema Paradiso” on 3rd December 2006.
The Bellevue Cinerama, together with its adjacent neighbour, the Calypso Cinema were demolished in 2007. On the site of the former Bellevue Cinerama and Calypso Cinema, a new building has been erected for the DeLaMar Theatre, a theatre for live shows. In addition to the vacant lot, the new building reused the facade of the houses and apartments to the left of where the Bellevue Cinerama originally stood.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater