Dickson Theatre

204 North Main Street,
Dickson, TN 37055

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Showing 6 comments

Ret. AKC (NAC) CCC Bob Jensen, Manteno, Illinois
Ret. AKC (NAC) CCC Bob Jensen, Manteno, Illinois on July 12, 2012 at 3:13 pm

PLEASE CHANGE NAME TO:

DICKSON THEATRE

The Roxy Theatre was one block South.

PLEASE CHANGE ADDRESS TO:

204

200 is the Veterans Affairs Department, Not RAGAN’S.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on July 19, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Yes Mike about an hour away,sorry for the late responce.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on July 24, 2010 at 9:36 pm

Is it close by to Nashville?

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on July 24, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Advertisted in the Westview Community Newspaper is a Roxy Movie Theatre located at 646 Highway 46 South Dickson,Tennessee,they advertise Movie-Popcorn and Coke $7.00 Movie line 615-441-8788 www.roxymovietheater.com

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on October 25, 2009 at 3:21 am

It looks to me like all the photos linked above depict the Dickson Theatre. The Roxy was an older theater, operating at least as early as 1939. It closed in 1952, a year after the Dickson Theatre opened.

The Dickson Theatre opened on July 11, 1951, according to the July 21 issue of Boxoffice. The new house was owned by Mrs. Helen Bruster (a couple of issues of Boxoffice use the spelling Brewster, apparently an error) according to an announcement in Boxoffice of August 19, 1950. The Dickson Theatre was designed by the Clarksville, Tennessee, architectural firm of Speight & Hibbs. Various seating capacities were given in various issues of Boxoffice, ranging from 750 to 950.

Mrs. Bruster also operated the older Roxy Theatre, from at least 1939, per mentions of it in various Boxoffice issues. The Roxy was last mentioned in the October 18, 1952, issue of Boxoffice, which said: “Helen Bruster announces the Roxy, Dickson, Tenn., has been closed permanently.”

Helen Bruster also opened the Dickson Drive-In at Dickson in 1955, according to Boxoffice of October 1 that year.

In 1932 there was a Gaiety Theatre in Dickson, mentioned in New England Film News of May 12. Perhaps an earlier name for the Roxy? A theater called the Plaza opened in Dickson in late 1966, and was still operating in 1977.

There is currently a multiplex in Dickson called the Roxy 8 Movie Theatre, so the name survives even if the old Roxy is history.

JackCoursey
JackCoursey on June 20, 2005 at 10:49 am

Here is a current photo of the former Roxy: View link