Orpheum Cafe and Theater
121 West Broadway Avenue,
1 person favorited this theater
Opened on July 28th, 1910 as the Orpheum Theater. In 1940 the Orpheum Theater closed for remodeling. A contest was held to see who could come up with the best idea as to how the theater should be remodeled. Students from Parsons College came up with the best design idea.
When the theater reopened on Christmas Day in 1940, the name was changed to the Co-Ed Theater in honor of those students because Parsons College was a co-ed college. In 1984 the Co-Ed Theater was remodeled again. When it reopened in August of 1984, it was a twin screen theater. The Co-Ed Theater was closed on September 12, 2012.
By 2014 it had been taken over by independent operators Modern American Cinema and has been renovated. Again known as the Orpheum Theater, it has digital projection. Beer and wine is served. The north auditorium has a small stage to accommodate stage shows. Movies screened are a mixed content of blockbusters, independent, foreign and documentary. By spring of 2018 it had been renamed Orpheum Cafe and Theater.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater