Regent Theatre

12 Union Street,
Paterson, NJ 07506

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Regent Theatre, Paterson, NJ – 1929

Viewing: Photo | Street View

The first theatre in the county built exclusively for showing motion pictures was the Regent Theatre. This beautiful, modern amusement house was conceived and erected by Jacob Fabian of Paterson who officially opened it to the public on September 14, 1914. Believing that its huge cost would prove to be a great liability to Mr. Fabian, it was frequently referred to as “Fabian’s Folly” during the early days of its existence.

By 1941 it was operated by Warner Bros. Circuit Management Corp.

Contributed by tc

Recent comments (view all 10 comments)

teecee
teecee on June 12, 2005 at 3:51 pm

Arcadia Publishing, “Paterson”, p. 93 has a nice photo of the theatre. Caption states that the building was DEMOLISHED in 1956.

teecee
teecee on July 5, 2005 at 10:57 am

A Wurlitzer organ, opus 1304, was installed in this theater on 3/27/1926.

teecee
teecee on March 2, 2006 at 1:23 pm

Listed as part of Stanley Warner Corp. in the 1956 Film Daily Yearbook.

teecee
teecee on April 6, 2007 at 5:39 pm

Images of America: Downtown Paterson has a photo on page 62. It states that the site is now a parking lot.

Ret. AKC (NAC) CCC Bob Jensen, Manteno, Illinois
Ret. AKC (NAC) CCC Bob Jensen, Manteno, Illinois on March 10, 2008 at 3:11 pm

A Mighty WurliTzer Theater Pipe Organ, Opus 40, a 2 Manual/7 Rank was shipped to this theater on July 10, 1914. It is no know what happened to that organ.

A Griffith-Beach Pipe Organ 3 Manual, with echo. went to this theater in 1923. It is not know what happened to that organ.

Another WurliTzer, Opus 1304, another 2/7 was shipped to this theater on March 27, 1926. It is not know what happened to that organ.

If you know anything about any of these organs, please email us!

“Gee Dad, it was a WurliTzer/Griffith-Beach/WurliTzer!”

Brad Smith
Brad Smith on April 24, 2010 at 7:19 pm

Click here for a photograph of the Regent Theatre taken in 1929 by George Mann of the comedy dance team, Barto & Mann.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on June 22, 2012 at 11:23 pm

The Union Street on which the Regent Theatre was located had its name changed to Veterans Place ages ago. Google Maps will not find this downtown location unless the street name Veterans Place is used in the address field.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on June 22, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Paterson, by Philip M. Read, attributes the design of the Regent Theatre to architect Fred W. Wentworth, who later designed several more theaters for Jacob Fabian.

LugosiResearch
LugosiResearch on December 30, 2012 at 2:15 am

On Friday 9 February 1951, Bela “Dracula” Lugosi presented his in person Horror and Magic Stage show at the Regent. Currently I am conducting research on all things Lugosi; if anyone out there actually saw this show and/or has memorabilia (poster, handbill, photos) related to this show, please contact Bill at Thanks in advance for any assistance!

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater