77 Drive-In

9301 S. Shields Boulevard,
Oklahoma City, OK 73160

948 cars

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Additional Info

Previously operated by: Peerless Theatres

Previous Names: Odom Drive-In, Barton's 77 Drive-In

Nearby Theaters

77 Drive-In

The Odom Drive-In opened on July 2, 1947 with John Wayne in “Angel and the Badman”. It was owned by R. Lewis Barton and Peerless Theatres Inc. On March 10, 1949 it was renamed Barton’s 77 Drive-In. On July 7, 1968 the name was changed to the 77 Drive-In.

It was a single screen and could accommodate 948 cars. The 77 Drive-In was closed on September 2, 1975.

Contributed by Chuck

Recent comments (view all 15 comments)

whorton on July 13, 2012 at 1:40 pm

From the AIDA database:

Odom Drive-in Theatre (Barton’s 77 Drive-in Theatre) (article, ad)

Opened July 2, 1947

Closed Dec 7, 1947 as Odom, reopened Friday, Mar 6,1948 as Barton’s 77

Closed 1974 Did not reopen for the 1975 season

Final showing, week of Aug 27, 1975. See picture of Daily Oklahoman

Location 9301 S. Shields Blvd.

1948-49 Theatre Catalog lists as 77 Drive-in Exec RL Barton M8-C900-CH3

1949-1950 Theatre Catalog lists RL Barton as owner M9-C1000-D7*

1965 IMPA lists RL Barton as owner

1965 IMPA lists capacity as 800

Location by GPS N 35º 22.396’ W 97º 30.226’

1974, July 25, Drive in movie operator charged

Last movies shown, Burt Reynolds in “The Longest Yard,” and “The Gambler”

Wesley Horton AIDA

Drive-In 54
Drive-In 54 on July 14, 2012 at 5:28 am

Up loaded Goggle Earth view 2011

rivest266 on April 6, 2014 at 7:34 am

July 2nd, 1947 grand opening can be found in the photo section.

OKCdoorman on October 27, 2015 at 12:18 pm

Gulf States commenced their succeeding ownership of this theater on May 3, 1972 with Dimension Pictures' new film TWILIGHT PEOPLE, 1968’s MAD DOCTOR OF BLOOD ISLAND, and 1969’s THE WITCHMAKER. And for what its worth, the exact day of permanent closing was Tuesday, September 2, 1975 featuring $1 admission for adults. (Oklahoma Journal for both sources)

rivest266 on August 22, 2018 at 3:55 pm

Reopened as the Barton’s 77 Drive-In on March 10th, 1949. Another grand reopening ad from July 7th, 1968 (along with the Airline Drive-In). Both ads posted.

davidcoppock on October 20, 2018 at 7:32 am

Also opened with a Bugs Bunny cartoon(not named), and a Three Stooges short(Fright night).

MichaelKilgore on May 27, 2019 at 10:00 am

Management built a new concession stand in the 1955-56 offseason, per a Feb. 25, 1956 note in the Motion Picture Herald.

MichaelKilgore on July 18, 2019 at 2:56 pm

More personal details than normal from the June 21, 1947 BoxOffice:

Robert L. Barton, son of the R. Lewis Bartons, and Betty Lou Humphrey were married recently. Both the bride and bridegroom were Oklahoma City university students. The bride was president of her senior class. The couple is on a one-month wedding trip to Canada and Niagara Falls. Young Barton is associated with his dad in the theatre business but plans to continue his college education in the autumn. His father owns a chain of houses in Oklahoma, including the Home, Knob Hill and Redskin here. He also is building a new drive-in near the city which will have a 1,000-car capacity. It is three miles south of the city on Norman Highway 77, and will be known as the Odom.

davidcoppock on March 18, 2021 at 10:19 pm

Name changed to Burton’s 77 Drive-in on 10/3/1949 with “That wonderful urge”. Reopened on 7/7/1968 with “Cool Hand Luke” and “Wait until dark”.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.