136 E. 3rd Street,
3 people favorited this theater
Adler Theatre (Official)
Architects: Anker Sverre Graven
Firms: A.S. Graven Inc. Architects
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: RKO Orpheum Theatre, Orpheum Theatre
News About This Theater
- Nov 7, 2006 — Adler Theater marks it's 75th Anniversary
Opened as the 2,708-seat RKO Orpheum Theatre on November 25, 1931 with William Boyd in “Suicide Fleet” and 5 acts of vaudeville. It was part of the 10-story Art Deco style Mississippi Riverside Hotel which had 200 guest rooms and 50 apartments. It was operated by the RKO circuit of theatres and was the last theatre to be designed by architect Anker Sverre Graven before his untimely and tragic death. By then he had split from his long-term partner in the architectural firm of Graven & Meyger. The movie house lasted for 42 years, closing in 1973 amid competition from suburban multiplexes.
Following its closure, the Orpheum Theatre became a venue for stage shows and concerts and was eventually donated to the RiverCenter for the Performing Arts.
The theatre was restored between 1984 and 1986 with much of its Art Deco interior returning. It was renamed Adler Theatre on January 9, 1986 and continues to delight Davenport residents.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.