Bijou Theater

1100 S. Clinton Street,
Trenton, NJ 08611

Unfavorite 2 people favorited this theater

Showing 7 comments

tyrogers
tyrogers on September 20, 2010 at 3:24 pm

In 1915 Hildinger and LaMonte contracted with James Morris & Fred Parker to rebuild the Bijou at the Clinton address for $20,000 to be completed by November 15.

tyrogers
tyrogers on September 20, 2010 at 3:21 pm

The Bijou was Charles Hildinger’s (in partnership with C.C. Cutler)1st theatre which opened June 28, 1906 at 23 N. Warren St. In 1909 it was moved, under the name “The New Bijou” to the Chestnut/Clinton location and managed by Russell Lamont. It appears the original Bijou stayed open for some time and was managed by J. E. McClurg.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on January 12, 2010 at 4:51 am

The August 28, 1915, issue of trade journal The Moving Picture World said that contracts had been let for the construction of the Bijou Theatre at Clinton and Chestnut avenues in Trenton. The owners were Hildinger and LaMonte, operators of several theaters in Trenton. The $20,000 project was expected to be completed by November 15. The plans were drawn by local architect Frederick Slack.

teecee
teecee on May 29, 2006 at 12:30 pm

Sorry, last comment should read “1917 Trenton City Directory”.

teecee
teecee on May 29, 2006 at 12:28 pm

Listed on page 126 of the Trenton City Directory under “Moving Pictures”. Address is given as S. Clinton av cor Woodland Ave.

hondo59
hondo59 on March 30, 2006 at 6:47 am

This is one of the few theater buildings left in the capital city of Trenton. It has been a church since it closed around 1960-61. The building is triangular and features a balcony. It opened in 1905.