1903 2nd Avenue,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Opened as the Crystal Theatre on December 25, 1905. Following alterations in 1907, it reopened as the Family Theatre as a vaudeville theatre. It stood on 2nd Avenue between 19th Street and 20th Street. On November 25, 1915 it was renamed Spencer Square Theatre. It was remodeled in 1916 and renamed Spencer Theatre. It was equipped with a theatre pipe organ, and went over to full time movie theatre use. In 1945, according to the Film Daily Yearbook, it could seat 1,000 and was operated by a subsidiary of Paramount Pictures Inc. The Spencer Theatre was closed in the 1950’s and was demolished to be replaced by a parking lot.
The theatre was named for Spencer Square, the park that once stood across from the theatre. It too was also cleared away in the 1950’s, and Rock Island’s new post office and courthouse were constructed on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater