Movies

23 Amherst Street,
Manchester, NH 03101

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Movies

Viewing: Photo | Street View

Opened in 1940, the former Rex Theatre was renamed King Cinema and finally The Movies. After closing in the mid-1980’s, it became a nightclub named Club Liquid. The theater is currently owned by Star Theaters out of Massachusetts. It was converted into a nightclub by the current lease holders. They piled all the seats in the back of the theater… which caught on fire. The nightclub has since reopened as Realm and proves popular with the 18-24 crowd.

Contributed by John Elwood

Recent comments (view all 7 comments)

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on June 20, 2009 at 3:27 pm

The Rex is listed in 1955 with 496 seats.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on June 20, 2009 at 4:45 pm

Information about the Rex including a photo and some ads are on this site.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on June 26, 2012 at 6:55 pm

The entry for Manchester architect Norris W. Corey in the 1956 edition of the AIA’s American Architects Directory lists the Rex Theatre as one of his projects.

DavidSimpson
DavidSimpson on August 18, 2012 at 9:39 am

As can be seen from the photographs I took in July 2012, the nightclub was by then called ‘Realm’.

formermovieguy
formermovieguy on June 22, 2013 at 6:59 pm

After the Rex, this theater was called the King.

Later, it became The Movies, and at some point was tripled. A new cross wall was built where the floor seating started in the original auditorium, and the front half of the house was split, with seats facing uphill to screens on the new wall.

In the mid-1980s, The Movies played a mix of films, including some offbeat first runs (Re-Animator), and revivals (1962 Manchurian Candidate). This was also the local venue for a weekly midnight Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Roger Katz
Roger Katz on March 1, 2014 at 3:16 pm

The nightclub is closed and the building is currently vacant.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on March 1, 2014 at 4:36 pm

This web page says that the Rex Theatre first opened on May 30, 1940, operated as an independent, second-run house by Lucien Descoteaux. The Rex closed on November 15, 1958, but reopened on May 24, 1961, then apparently closed again in 1962.

Other sources indicate that at some point (probably 1962 or later), Descoteaux sold the house to the Shea circuit. Shea remodeled the Rex and renamed it the King Cinema. By 1980, it had been renamed again, to The Movies. As formermovieguy’s earlier comment notes that The Movies was still operating in the mid-1980s, that should probably be the way we list it, with Rex Theatre and King Cinema as aka’s.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater