157 Broad Street,
3 people favorited this theater
The State Theatre was opened on March 6, 1936 with Bing Crosby in “Anything Goes”. Designed by architect Erle G. Stilwell, the 700 seat movie theatre was originally decorated in the Mediterranean Rivival/Atmospheric style, complete with murals and a lighted star constellation in the ceiling. The theatre has both screen and stage capabilities.
In the mid-1950’s, the State Theatre was remodeled to accommodate more modern tastes and the CinemaScope format. The Mediterranean garden wall was removed, the murals painted over and a premanent screen erected. It was operated by the Wilbey-Kincey chain.
In 1978, the State Theatre showed its final feature film and was closed. On January 11, 1985 it reopened as the Christian Cinema, screening religous films. On August 12, 1988 it was renamed All American Family Cinema. Around 1990 to 1992 it became a dinner theatre then a nightclub and a gymnasium. It was last used for 10 years as a cheerleading school. In 2007, the theatre was purchased by DB3 Development Company,
DB3 is currently renovating the building according to Stillwell’s original plans, which they obtained from his archives. Currently (in early-2009) under construction, the State Theatre was planned to reopen in Spring 2009. However restoration appers to have stalled by late-2019.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater