Roosevelt Theatre

2497 Seventh Avenue (now Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Boulevard),
New York, NY 10030

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Roosevelt Theatre

Viewing: Photo | Street View

The Roosevelt Theatre opened in c.1920 and is located on the corner of Seventh Avenue and W. 145th Street. In the center of the facade there is a bust relief of Theodore Roosevelt.

During the 1920’s this movie theatre operated in conjunction with the Odeon Theatre located close-by on 145th Street and the Douglas Theatre on Lennox Avenue. It was at the Roosevelt Theatre that Thomas ‘Fats’ Waller won an amateur night contest playing James P. Johnson’s “Carolina Shout”.

The Roosevelt Theatre was listed in Film Daily Yearbooks for 1930-1933 and 1940-1955 as being a ‘Negro’ theatre catering to African-American audiences.

It closed in 1978, and is currently in use as a Pioneer Supermarket.

Contributed by KenRoe

Recent comments (view all 11 comments)

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on September 23, 2006 at 5:10 pm

A c/o dated October 7, 1920 was issued for a 1526 seat motion picture theater at 2495-97 Seventh Avenue . The owner is listed as the Silber Amusement Co.

RobertR
RobertR on September 26, 2006 at 4:54 pm

It was still open in 1971 showing one of MGM’s Family Matinee’s.
View link

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on November 14, 2008 at 8:52 pm

Small item from the NYT dated 10/12/63:

A movie projectionist was shot and robbed yesterday in the projection booth of Roosevelt Theater, Seventh Avenue, the police reported today.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on November 15, 2008 at 6:08 am

Interesting. Thanks.

RobertR
RobertR on April 17, 2009 at 2:06 pm

Check out the odd vertical with the arrows…..did it once say RKO?

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on May 25, 2009 at 7:54 am

“Roosevelt” was such a long name that they economized on the vertical sign by using just the first letter “R”, followed by animated arrows pointing at the building.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on February 12, 2010 at 7:50 pm

The architect was Charles Goodman.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on February 28, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Stopped showing films in 1976.

Chancellor
Chancellor on March 10, 2012 at 1:59 pm

No, actually the theater closed in 1978. The last picture I saw there was the Bill Cosby Sidney Potier 1977 film, ‘A Piece Of The Action’.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater