No one has favorited this theater yet
Perth’s Metro Theatre, located on William Street and now demolished, started life as the Queen’s Hall (opened 19 April, 1899). Among the early artists to appear there were Dame Nellie Melba and Clara Butt. With the advent of film, Queen’s Hall became the venue for Vic’s Pictures.
In 1927, the Hoyts Theatre chain took over the lease, with architects Bohringer, Taylor and Johnson transforming it into the Regent Theatre, complete with chandeliers imported from Italy and a Wurlitzer organ. The opening film was “Three Bad Men” with George O'Brien and Olive Borden.
It 1938, Hoyts Theatres gave up the lease to MGM Theatres, and the theatre was again transformed, this time by architects Baxter, Cox and Leighton, who gave it the full Art Deco style treatment. It remained one of Perth’s most stylish, comfortable and most-loved theatres until its demolition in February 1972, its final film being a revival of “Gone With the Wind”.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater