RKO Proctor's 125th Street Theatre
112-118 E. 125th Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Built by Oscar Hammerstein as a playhouse named Columbus Theatre in 1890. It opened as the Miner’s Theatre October 11, 1899 with a production of “Romeo and Juliet”. It was sold to F.F. Proctor in 1899, and went over to presenting vaudeville. Around 1900 it became Keith & Proctor’s 125th Street Theatre and films were added to the programming in 1908. The Keith/Proctor partnership was dissolved in 1911. It was renamed Proctor’s Theatre and advertised as Proctor’s 125th Street Theatre. In 1926 a Wurlitzer organ was installed, and in that year, the seating capacity was given as 2,200.
It was taken over by RKO in the 1930’s. The RKO Proctor’s 125th Street was closed in late-1953. The building was converted into a church. In 1985, a fire broke out in the front of the building. It was damaged enough to eventually make it a dangerous structure and the theatre was demolished in 1987.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater